PHYSICS Tutoring @ $20/hr - Eastwood/Strathfield/Hornsby area (1 Viewer)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
About me
You might've seen me around the site before. I've been here for a while (abusing the resources), and now I'm ready to offer my tutelage to you. I'll answer any of your Physics questions in the Physics section.

I am expecting a Band 6. I myself was tutored at Intuition Education. It was fantastic and it helped me understand many concepts that my teacher failed to teach. As such, in my opinion tutoring is an excellent resource for extra study.

Is tutoring for you?
  • Are you willing to spend money?
  • Do you want someone to help you?
  • Do you want notes?
  • Is your teacher hopeless?
  • Are you behind?
  • Do you want to get ahead?

If you answered yes to any of these (especially the first one), then tutoring is for you.

Private vs Public
Private tutors are one-on-one or two-on-one, and as such the tutor can teach you and communicate with you. Public tutors are usually 10-on-one or more, which is ridiculous, it's like extra school at $30+ an hour.

Why choose me?
My tutoring will be based on the following principles:

Year 11 knowledge is useless
Absolutely meaningless. If you're in Year 11, we'll skip it and I'll teach you the Year 12 syllabus.
If you're in Year 12, forget everything about Year 11.

Assessments have priority
Rather than rushing through the course, you should be focusing all your study towards your assessments.
When you receive an assessment, I will suspend all tutoring work and focus on your assessments only.
This comes from personal experience, as my tutoring institution rushed me through the course, not paying attention to my specific needs.

Experiments are underrated
Experiments are actually very important. My tutoring institution never delved into any of the experiments and my overall mark suffered. My school assessments were 100% experiment based.
In fact, I cheated in my first assessment and was penalised.

I've made the mistakes so you won't have to
As I said before, I was penalised for cheating. I didn't understand the importance of experiments. I never tried to 'scab' marks until the trials.
All of these (and more) are my own personal mistakes. Thankfully, they won't go to waste. I can stop you from making the same mistakes I did.

HSC Physics is not real Physics
Occasionally in the forums, you might see someone called k02033 making an overly complicated answer to a simple question. Or you might hear a really complicated explanation from your friends.
Now I'm not saying they're wrong. In fact, they're probably right. But HSC Physics demands that you memorise scripted answers. The syllabus doesn't want you to think further ahead, it wants you to know the answers and explanations (often incorrect) that the Board of Studies sets.
As such, I'm going to teach you Physics the way the Board of Studies wants you to learn it. Using university level explanations will not get you the marks you desire, but what I teach you will.

Need a second opinion?

To put it in a nutshell, he is awesome. Awesome tutor, awesome student, awesome mate to be around with...and the list goes on.
Go to him; he really loves physics and knows the course inside out!
Why havn't you contacted him already? You are wasting time by not getting his tutoring services!!! He'll pump your mark up ....
Andrew's qualities:

1. Very intelligent.
2. Sets realistic goals.
3. Has a passion and love for Physics (even though I beat him by 2 marks in the Independent exam ;)).
4. Great bloke.
5. Has a blonde wig. I WANT ONE.

I highly vouch him. I've met him in real, and he's a great guy with an awesome personality. Highly recommended to all HSC 2010 students.
I'd say go to him, not only does he know about the course, but how to guide others into the right direction towards success :)
What can I say? This guy understands what it's like to have shit teachers, how hard it is to have to learn for yourself, and the importance of hard work.

Despite the crapulence, he knows his stuff.

He ain't perfect, but he's perfect for physics tutoring.
What about notes?
I have a wide range of notes coming from this site, Intuition Education, TSFX, HSCEdge Online, my own notes and many notes from my friends.
I will use these notes to create a single set of notes to use in my lessons.
Unfortunately, I have been reminded that the notes from Intuition Education are intellectual property. I previously signed a contract forbidding me from using their notes for personal profit (my own tutoring). As such, I cannot show you these notes in exchange for money.

How much? Where?
My rates are only $20/hour for one person or $30/hour for two people together.
I will be giving two hour planned lessons and any overtime will be free of charge.
I live in Eastwood but I am willing to travel to Strathfield or Hornsby. If you live anywhere else, PM/Email me and I'm sure we can work something out.
I am teaching the option topics Quanta to Quarks, Astrophysics and Medical Physics.

Contact details
Contact me via PM, email or phone. I will be available on MSN at any time for any questions.
youngminii@gmail.com
0425 834 461

Last edited:

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
I myself was tutored at Intuition Education. It was fantastic and it helped me understand many concepts that my teacher failed to teach. As such, in my opinion tutoring is an excellent resource for extra study.

This comes from personal experience, as my tutoring institution rushed me through the course, not paying attention to my specific needs.
A bit contradictory isn't it?

Year 11 knowledge is useless
Absolutely meaningless. If you're in Year 11, we'll skip it and I'll teach you the Year 12 syllabus.
If you're in Year 12, forget everything about Year 11.
So, bottom line = You will not help any Year 11 student with their assessments and tests. You do realise that some people will want tutoring with Year 11 work right?

But also, the basis of the HSC course is the preliminary course. Take for instance the multiple choice question that asked you to select the correct graph for the varying electric field strength in a uniform field. That, in my opinion is Year 11 work, amongst other things aswell.

Also, if you do not have any understanding of Year 11 motion and the forces that act on an object when it is accelerating etc then I think people would find aspects of the Year 12 HSC course hard.

Most importantly, Year 11 work is ASSUMED KNOWLEDGE, as indicated by the HSC syllabus. They could technically examine Year 11 work, although it doesn't usually occur. You say that you're an expert in HSC Physics, yet you do not realise this...

But HSC Physics demands that you memorise scripted answers. The syllabus doesn't want you to think further ahead, it wants you to know the answers and explanations (often incorrect) that the Board of Studies sets.
Can you give an example of the "often inccorect" way that the BOS wants your to answer questions?

study-freak

Bored of
HSC

So, bottom line = You will not help any Year 11 student with their assessments and tests. You do realise that some people will want tutoring with Year 11 work right?

But also, the basis of the HSC course is the preliminary course. Take for instance the multiple choice question that asked you to select the correct graph for the varying electric field strength in a uniform field. That, in my opinion is Year 11 work, amongst other things aswell.

Also, if you do not have any understanding of Year 11 motion and the forces that act on an object when it is accelerating etc then I think people would find aspects of the Year 12 HSC course hard.

Most importantly, Year 11 work is ASSUMED KNOWLEDGE, as indicated by the HSC syllabus. They could technically examine Year 11 work, although it doesn't usually occur. You say that you're an expert in HSC Physics, yet you do not realise this...

Can you give an example of the "often inccorect" way that the BOS wants your to answer questions?
Discuss the BCS theory
some superconductor stuff?

youngminii

Banned
HSC

I editted out what was in there before. Don't want more shit for saying bad things about Intuition.

Also, jm, you don't use a calculator. You have no idea what you're talking about.
Thanks for the free bump though :)

So keep me at an arms length by all means and Sani
HSC
I have so much time on my hands that I thought I would write up a small review on Intuition, since I went there and obviously you don't want to rush into a $4000~ course without knowing what you're in for.

Now, I haven't been to any other tutoring colleges (except private ones) but my expectations were pretty high.

How it works
Don't enrol in Year 11, it's a waste of money. In fact, don't even enrol in Term 1 of Year 12 (As in Term 4 of Year 11), they do the exact same things, in more detail, the next term.

Every week you attend a class. These classes are usually 2.5 hours or 3 hours, depending on the subject. In it, you're given a booklet of notes with a bunch of missing words that you have to fill in throughout the lesson. As for any questions in the booklet, the teacher explains it, writes it on the board and has you copy it down.
It is extremely important to pay attention to everything the teacher says. If you only copy everything down without understanding any of it, you're wasting your money. Make sure to ask any questions.

You're given a homework booklet due by the next lesson. The booklets are actually quite hard, and there are several challenge questions for the really smart kids. The homework booklet is given back at the end of the lesson.

Every week you're required to attend a tutorial (or a 'tute') for 1.5 hours. In this tute, with 4 students per tutor, you have to literally re-do every question you got wrong, ending up with 0 mistakes for your homework (challenges aren't compulsory). If you can't finish by the end of the tute, you can book an extra tute for free.

The entire course for all the subjects is finished by the end of Term 3 Year 12 (halfway through the year). For Sciences, this means doing two modules a term. From then on, you enter a period called ESP (Exam Success Program) where you do an HSC-style test every week. This means you have to go to Intuition for an extra 2.5/3 hours every week: Test, Class (Exam review), Tute. There are a total of 9 ESP exams.

The teachers/tutors
Okay, some of the teachers and tutors are fantastic. If you do end up going to this place, try and end up with Victor as your teacher for Maths and Sanj as your teacher for Physics. They are, without a doubt, the best teachers in the place. Personally, I wouldn't pay for any other teachers. One of the great things about Intuition is that you can easily change your class.

As for tute tutors, new tutors come in and out every year so try and shuffle around. There are lots, and I haven't had many of them. Personally, I really liked Louise (fast, to the point, nice and helpful), Hari (funny, smart and helpful) and Tom (genius but sometimes off on a tangent). Try to end up with them.

That said, some of the other teachers and tutors are absolutely horrible. I'm not going to name names but you'll figure it out, they're not worth the money.

Customer service
They have a group of people called SS (not sure what it stands for) who sit behind the counter and type a bunch of stuff into Microsoft Excel. They're generally nice, and they (usually) call you up if you don't make it to a lesson/tute. They'll help you with lots of stuff, but if they refuse to let you do something (use a textbook, book one-on-one tutes, any other help) go directly to Max (owner) or some other high up teacher.

Max, the owner, is extremely nice. He will keep the place formal, but is willing to bend lots of the rules to help the students. I know he gave my mum a nice discount (our financial status) and he's helped a lot of my friends.

The good stuff
So I liked a lot of stuff at Intuition.

ESP - really saved my ass when I didn't do my own past papers.
End of year party (free alcohol).
The ease of interacting with other students.
Some teachers/tutors.
The way you can go in there any time and study in an empty room.
Some people (lots of my friends) became really attached to the place. They felt it was like a second school that was better than their real one.
Changing classes/tutes any time, provided they're not full (tutes were all filled up by the end of the year).

The bad stuff
I also disliked a lot of stuff at Intuition.

The leniency - A lot of friends, and myself, got away with skipping classes, skipping tutes, not handing in homework, not marking down homework... etc.
The fail teachers/tutors.
The way SS puts potential customers (visiting parents) as a top priority.
Sometimes there are huge classes (15~ people),
And none of them asks any questions, ever.
The tutes are often ineffective as there are 4 people for the tutor to pay attention to.
The bias - The teachers/tutors/Max/SS will 'like' a few students other than others. Lots of my friends were granted privileges that I wasn't even though I paid more (did more subjects than them).
Retarded marking - Some of the tutors mark like fucking morons.
Tutors don't know everything - They're given answer booklets which they relay to you, sometimes not understanding themselves (scroll up for the tutors that I liked, they barely used the answer booklets).
Often, a room will have 2 tutes at once - This amounts to 10 people in one room.
Although I liked Sanj (great teaching), he's a complete faggot. He's smart, he's rich and he puts himself up on the pedestal (too cool for us).
You can see through lots of the forced niceness of the tutors (some are genuinely nice).
The notes aren't that great. I never looked at my Physics notes ever again after the lessons. For Maths, whenever I re-read the notes, they didn't help me at all.
In fact, I was looking up something in Physics on Wikipedia and guess what? Some of the notes were literally copied and pasted from the page.
They skip lots of things from the Syllabus, especially in Sciences - virtually all the experiments were skipped. All of my school's assessments were experiment-based, so naturally I became worried. I told this to Sanj (the complete faggot) and he replied with:

You have to spend so much time at Intuition that you don't get time for your own study, or your other subjects - I was spending over 20 hours a week at Intuition during my trials. I had to go every single day. I fell behind in school work, especially my English and Modern History.
They addressed this issue on their site:

This is complete BULLSHIT. The Syllabus wasn't completely covered (although what they did cover was done in depth, usually). They don't give a shit about what you're doing at school, they continue to press on with their 2 modules per term, giving you way too much work. Your study becomes extremely inefficient after joining, as your time is focused on work that your assessment isn't based on. My Physics exams were not helped at all by Intuition.

The price tag
The price can range from $25-$35 if memory serves me right, I'm not too sure how low it can go (some stupid rule about paying less if you enrol earlier).
Now, $25 might seem like a decent price. But remember, it's not private tutoring, there are over 10 other people in your class.
Also, remember how often you go per week. 2.5 hour lessons + 1.5 hour tute = 4 hours. That's $100 a week. Add ESP into that (3 hour exams) = $175 a week.
That's assuming you're not doing 3 hour lessons. I did 2 subject until I realised how much money I was wasting, so I dropped Maths and picked it up again at the end of the year for ESP. It was expensive.

My opinion
You have to realise, even though I disliked many things, they did help me a lot for my studies. Perhaps I just liked Physics and I would have done as well without them, perhaps I only did well because I was with them. Either way, you have to do your own study to make up for what they don't teach you. You should be studying by yourself to do well anyway, even though Intuition takes so much time.

Do you have thousands and thousands of dollars to spare for your education? Do you want to do well in a specific subject? Are you doing well in subjects that you are not going to enrol in Intuition for? Do you have lots of time, and are willing to dedicate all that time on studying, most of which will be spent on Intuition, leaving not much time for your other subjects? If yes, go for it.

If you're not doing well financially, I would advise against this. Find a cheaper tutor.
:cook:

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngminii
I have so much time on my hands that I thought I would write up a small review on Intuition, since I went there and obviously you don't want to rush into a $4000~ course without knowing what you're in for.

Now, I haven't been to any other tutoring colleges (except private ones) but my expectations were pretty high.

How it works
Don't enrol in Year 11, it's a waste of money. In fact, don't even enrol in Term 1 of Year 12 (As in Term 4 of Year 11), they do the exact same things, in more detail, the next term.

Every week you attend a class. These classes are usually 2.5 hours or 3 hours, depending on the subject. In it, you're given a booklet of notes with a bunch of missing words that you have to fill in throughout the lesson. As for any questions in the booklet, the teacher explains it, writes it on the board and has you copy it down.
It is extremely important to pay attention to everything the teacher says. If you only copy everything down without understanding any of it, you're wasting your money. Make sure to ask any questions.

You're given a homework booklet due by the next lesson. The booklets are actually quite hard, and there are several challenge questions for the really smart kids. The homework booklet is given back at the end of the lesson.

Every week you're required to attend a tutorial (or a 'tute') for 1.5 hours. In this tute, with 4 students per tutor, you have to literally re-do every question you got wrong, ending up with 0 mistakes for your homework (challenges aren't compulsory). If you can't finish by the end of the tute, you can book an extra tute for free.

The entire course for all the subjects is finished by the end of Term 3 Year 12 (halfway through the year). For Sciences, this means doing two modules a term. From then on, you enter a period called ESP (Exam Success Program) where you do an HSC-style test every week. This means you have to go to Intuition for an extra 2.5/3 hours every week: Test, Class (Exam review), Tute. There are a total of 9 ESP exams.

The teachers/tutors
Okay, some of the teachers and tutors are fantastic. If you do end up going to this place, try and end up with Victor as your teacher for Maths and Sanj as your teacher for Physics. They are, without a doubt, the best teachers in the place. Personally, I wouldn't pay for any other teachers. One of the great things about Intuition is that you can easily change your class.

As for tute tutors, new tutors come in and out every year so try and shuffle around. There are lots, and I haven't had many of them. Personally, I really liked Louise (fast, to the point, nice and helpful), Hari (funny, smart and helpful) and Tom (genius but sometimes off on a tangent). Try to end up with them.

That said, some of the other teachers and tutors are absolutely horrible. I'm not going to name names but you'll figure it out, they're not worth the money.

Customer service
They have a group of people called SS (not sure what it stands for) who sit behind the counter and type a bunch of stuff into Microsoft Excel. They're generally nice, and they (usually) call you up if you don't make it to a lesson/tute. They'll help you with lots of stuff, but if they refuse to let you do something (use a textbook, book one-on-one tutes, any other help) go directly to Max (owner) or some other high up teacher.

Max, the owner, is extremely nice. He will keep the place formal, but is willing to bend lots of the rules to help the students. I know he gave my mum a nice discount (our financial status) and he's helped a lot of my friends.

The good stuff
So I liked a lot of stuff at Intuition.

ESP - really saved my ass when I didn't do my own past papers.
End of year party (free alcohol).
The ease of interacting with other students.
Some teachers/tutors.
The way you can go in there any time and study in an empty room.
Some people (lots of my friends) became really attached to the place. They felt it was like a second school that was better than their real one.
Changing classes/tutes any time, provided they're not full (tutes were all filled up by the end of the year).

The bad stuff
I also disliked a lot of stuff at Intuition.

The leniency - A lot of friends, and myself, got away with skipping classes, skipping tutes, not handing in homework, not marking down homework... etc.
The fail teachers/tutors.
The way SS puts potential customers (visiting parents) as a top priority.
Sometimes there are huge classes (15~ people),
And none of them asks any questions, ever.
The tutes are often ineffective as there are 4 people for the tutor to pay attention to.
The bias - The teachers/tutors/Max/SS will 'like' a few students other than others. Lots of my friends were granted privileges that I wasn't even though I paid more (did more subjects than them).
Retarded marking - Some of the tutors mark like fucking morons.
Tutors don't know everything - They're given answer booklets which they relay to you, sometimes not understanding themselves (scroll up for the tutors that I liked, they barely used the answer booklets).
Often, a room will have 2 tutes at once - This amounts to 10 people in one room.
Although I liked Sanj (great teaching), he's a complete faggot. He's smart, he's rich and he puts himself up on the pedestal (too cool for us).
You can see through lots of the forced niceness of the tutors (some are genuinely nice).
The notes aren't that great. I never looked at my Physics notes ever again after the lessons. For Maths, whenever I re-read the notes, they didn't help me at all.
In fact, I was looking up something in Physics on Wikipedia and guess what? Some of the notes were literally copied and pasted from the page.
They skip lots of things from the Syllabus, especially in Sciences - virtually all the experiments were skipped. All of my school's assessments were experiment-based, so naturally I became worried. I told this to Sanj (the complete faggot) and he replied with:

You have to spend so much time at Intuition that you don't get time for your own study, or your other subjects - I was spending over 20 hours a week at Intuition during my trials. I had to go every single day. I fell behind in school work, especially my English and Modern History.
They addressed this issue on their site:

This is complete BULLSHIT. The Syllabus wasn't completely covered (although what they did cover was done in depth, usually). They don't give a shit about what you're doing at school, they continue to press on with their 2 modules per term, giving you way too much work. Your study becomes extremely inefficient after joining, as your time is focused on work that your assessment isn't based on. My Physics exams were not helped at all by Intuition.

The price tag
The price can range from $25-$35 if memory serves me right, I'm not too sure how low it can go (some stupid rule about paying less if you enrol earlier).
Now, $25 might seem like a decent price. But remember, it's not private tutoring, there are over 10 other people in your class.
Also, remember how often you go per week. 2.5 hour lessons + 1.5 hour tute = 4 hours. That's $100 a week. Add ESP into that (3 hour exams) = $175 a week.
That's assuming you're not doing 3 hour lessons. I did 2 subject until I realised how much money I was wasting, so I dropped Maths and picked it up again at the end of the year for ESP. It was expensive.

My opinion
You have to realise, even though I disliked many things, they did help me a lot for my studies. Perhaps I just liked Physics and I would have done as well without them, perhaps I only did well because I was with them. Either way, you have to do your own study to make up for what they don't teach you. You should be studying by yourself to do well anyway, even though Intuition takes so much time.

Do you have thousands and thousands of dollars to spare for your education? Do you want to do well in a specific subject? Are you doing well in subjects that you are not going to enrol in Intuition for? Do you have lots of time, and are willing to dedicate all that time on studying, most of which will be spent on Intuition, leaving not much time for your other subjects? If yes, go for it.

If you're not doing well financially, I would advise against this. Find a cheaper tutor.

I still don't get why your tutoring centre got so angry over this.

fionarykim

HSC
Hello, can you tell me your marks for physics in the HSC?
and how long you;ve been tutoring for? :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)