TRIPLE State Ranker | ATAR 99.85 | English and History Mentoring + Editing (1 Viewer)

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
Hi everyone!

My name is Eric, and I am currently offering weekly/fortnightly mentoring and essay refinement in at the University of Sydney on Friday afternoons, and Macquarie University library on Sundays (read further for more detail) for students in year 11 and 12. Having completed my HSC exams in 2014, my most notable results include:

• an ATAR of 99.85 and NSW Premier's Award for All-Round Excellence in 11 units
• 97/100 in Advanced English
• 49/50 in Extension History, placing me 2nd in NSW
• 50/50 in Extension English 1, placing me 3rd in NSW
• 99/100 in Visual Arts, placing me 5th in NSW
• a nomination for ArtExpress’ 2015 exhibition​

Furthermore, over the past year of tutoring/editing essays written around the new texts, some of my students' most notable results include:
• 2nd internally in English Advanced at a top 5 selective school, finishing with a final mark of 95 and ATAR of 99.85
• Rising from the bottom 10% of the English Advanced cohort to the fifth highest trial mark at a top 30 selective school
• Achieving a 92 in English Advanced and 47 in History Extension at a top 200 school (Contrary to popular belief, success is possible regardless of school ranking!)
• All of my 2015 students received a band 6 in English Advanced.​

How will I learn?
My tutoring methods draw upon my own study patterns, including small timed exercises for expanding vocabulary and recalling terminology. Constant refinement and self-evaluation are crucial to improvement, while fostering a passion for my subjects made studying much less of a burden. You can also ask me anything about the HSC or school-life in general!

Within the hour, for three units of English, five units of History, and Visual Arts, you will have access to a compendium of my resources, including my adapted essays and creatives, examples of my peers’ work that I have personally reviewed, History syllabus notes for reference (including my HSC History Extension major work, and Preliminary Ancient and Modern History major investigations), as well as academic articles that I have found useful throughout the year. Depending on whether we meet weekly or fortnightly, you are entitled to ONE essay review in the interim.

Standard, Advanced, and Extension English 1
I firmly believe that success in any unit of English is underpinned not necessarily by mechanically deconstructing the minutia of a text, but by demonstrating to the marker your ability to express ideas logically, critically, and conceptually. While generic evidence and techniques are, by default, the crux of your analysis, they are ultimately useless if they cannot be perceived from a multitude of conceptual angles. Hence, I want to maximize both the potential of your essay: its insights; its vocabulary; its syntactical concision, and your essay-writing skills: your ability to think flexibly, as well as your own attention to detail.

Similarly, your piece of imaginative writing must contain a human element that poignantly resonates with its reader. Tone must be sustained through meticulous use of pause, diction, and literary device. Length is not so much our aim as emotional impact. Regarding other forms, even of an extra-curricular nature, I am an experienced orator who has ranked as a finalist in official public speaking competitions. If a persuasive flavour is what you require, you will have access to several of the speeches that I have performed.

Ancient History, Modern History, and Extension History
My philosophy regarding any unit of History is rather similar to English. In any essay, you are proposing, and subsequently defending your thesis, whether it is exam-style, or your major research project. I will identify any lapses of sophistication, or suggest ideas that might enhance the expression of your argument. Hence, my ultimate aim is not to spoon-feed you, but develop independent thinking.

Beyond two-unit, Extension History is especially challenging as you are asked to apply your knowledge around an academic excerpt by seamlessly integrating its content. The markers do not want you to simply connect the dots, but evaluate what the historian is saying while providing a novel argument regarding the nature of historical construction. The occasionally metaphorical content of the stimulus can be conquered, however, through refinement and exam technique. Through our balanced discussion, I hope that you can take away new insights that you can apply in your own work.

Visual Arts
Despite being dismissed as an opportunity for “free marks”, Visual Arts theory exercises your ability to comprehend and think logically, while its practical component can be time-consuming and, if built from the wrong foundations, emotionally taxing. Hence, we will routinely brainstorm ideas for section one, adhering closely to the frames and conceptual agencies – innovative thinking and empathy are integral to perceiving a work through the lens of the artist and his or her audience. Due to the spectrum of questions that could be asked, we will focus on refining an understanding of your artists for section two. Thus, come exam time, you will be able to mold your knowledge to any of the three headings (practice/conceptual agency/frames).

Having attended ArtExpress exhibitions in the past, and ultimately being nominated for its 2015 exhibition myself, I possess high standards of technical resolution and conceptual refinement. I will oversee your process diary on a weekly basis, and help lift your concept from the literal to the metaphorical. Two/three weeks before internal assessment tasks, I will examine your artwork in person as a form of further direction.

Rates
Weekly or fortnightly sessions will be approximately an hour long. I am currently charging $60 per hour OR $40 per 1000 word Advanced or 2u History edit, give or take 100 words, OR $60 per 1500 word Extension edit, give or take 200 words. Small discounts for multiple items are negotiable.

• More importantly, essays and creatives must be sent to me four days before a deadline. I cannot do overnight reviews.
  • Furthermore, bear with me when there are unforeseen delays. I am doing all that I can to get these essays in on time.

Our sessions can be held:
  • at the University of Sydney on Friday afternoons (or weekdays generally, negotiable)
  • at Macquarie University library on Sundays, which is a five-mniute walk from Macquarie University Station (on the North Shore line)
  • over Skype, if the library is closed or you live too far away from any of those destinations (also, you can conveniently send files)

Bring a sample of your work, marking criteria, and assessment notifications for any relevant subjects.

For samples, negotiating tutoring locations, any burning questions, contact me at ericngonzales96@gmail.com.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Eric

Last edited:

mreditor16

HSC
Looks good! Congrats on your results as well! Get in quick guys. This seems like a great offering.

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
Looks good! Congrats on your results as well! Get in quick guys. This seems like a great offering.
Thank you! That means a lot coming from you.

Get a head start before school recommences! Contact me soon so I can figure out where to slot you.

Eric

Last edited:

romanticismstudent

HSC
BUMP -

I actually know Eric (he was in like all my classes), and he helped me SO much with his refinement skills in the crucial later stages of the HSC. After trials for Advanced I was convinced that I was totally screwed, until Eric helped me back on track. I started writing my flexible essays only 2 WEEKS out from the English HSC exam. With his conceptual construction skills and refinement expertise, he helped me to achieve 92 in advanced (which I was stoked about - I would've been happy with any band 6). Eric helped me snatch that vital band 6 in English when I thought all hope was lost!

Would DEFINITELY recommend his assistance!!!!

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
BUMP -

I actually know Eric (he was in like all my classes), and he helped me SO much with his refinement skills in the crucial later stages of the HSC. After trials for Advanced I was convinced that I was totally screwed, until Eric helped me back on track. I started writing my flexible essays only 2 WEEKS out from the English HSC exam. With his conceptual construction skills and refinement expertise, he helped me to achieve 92 in advanced (which I was stoked about - I would've been happy with any band 6). Eric helped me snatch that vital band 6 in English when I thought all hope was lost!

Would DEFINITELY recommend his assistance!!!!
You were an amazing student! Thank you very much!

If we could get to 92 together in virtually two weeks, imagine what we could have accomplished over a whole year.

Eric

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I been driving past your school, usually via Midson Road, virtually 4 to 5 times a week on my way to Eastwood for over 10 years.

Good to see your places are filling up fast. Belated congrats on your 3 State Ranks.

Last edited:

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
I been driving past your school, usually via Midson Road, virtually 4 to 5 times a week on my way to Eastwood for over 10 years.

Good to see your places are filling up fast. Belated congrats on your 3 State Ranks.
Incredibly late reply, but thanks a lot for your message!

Eric

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
"Jenny Chung" contacted me recently. I checked your e-mail at like 7 AM this morning on my phone, and in my drowsiness, I accidentally swiped left, deleting your message. If you read this somehow, please e-mail me again and I promise it'll be in good hands. Sorry about that!

Eric

happypeople

A Happy Person
HSC
Bump for all of your amazing results + state ranks (congrats!) + how passionate you sound about all your subjects :D

See you at Sydney ;D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)