$30/hr, 99.95 ATAR, state ranker, NSW all rounder, Medicine student @ Hurstville (1 Viewer)

wliu1996

HSC
Thank you for clicking on this post! My name is Weber, and I offer preliminary and HSC tuition for Chemistry and Physics. Lessons are run at my home in Hurstville, where I print and prepare all material for my students. These lessons are taught in small groups to ensure each student gains individual feedback and 24/7 support via email or text.

You will find that I am more than qualified to tutor these subjects – I have achieved a 99.95 in the 2014 HSC, gained a state rank in HSC chemistry, completed university chemistry with the 4th highest mark in the course as well as completed university physics. I am currently undertaking a BSc(Adv)/MD double degree at Sydney University.

My lessons and materials:

I am 100% dedicated to my students and I have written all of my own resources based on information from major textbooks, my own experiences in chemistry and from various internet resources (which are referenced). The lesson material not only covers all content in the preliminary and HSC syllabus (to AT LEAST a band 6 extent), but I also provide past paper questions and teach students examination technique as we go through the content.

Every week, the following material is used:
1. Lecture material from the current topic (from my own written notes – this I print)
2. Homework questions (from selected chapters of the textbook)
3. Past paper questions (HSC and other trials – this I print)

To ensure all lesson material is at highest quality, I update and revise through my material every year to ensure there are minimal mistakes, as many questions as possible to cover all content and to prepare all students for future exams.
In addition to this, I am more than comfortable with mathematics (see my maths results in the ‘about me’ section – I have also achieved a HD average in university level mathematics) and I am able to figure out issues with scientific calculations on the go during lessons. I am very comfortable in teaching these concepts and I understand this is a pitfall for many students.

I am also contactable by all students 24/7 and I am equipped to answer almost every question which is related to the HSC and preliminary courses. Email address and phone number is provided for quick messaging, and if I find that you are struggling with any particular concept, I will make sure to find and prepare additional resources to aid your understanding and achieve the best possible marks you can get.

My teaching method:

I simplify my content into two main types:
1. Content which needs understanding
2. Content which needs to be rote learned

By this I mean the following:

1. Content which needs to be understood can be explained using diagrams and flow charts. These are conceptual ideas, and require very little effort to follow along with, however without proper equipment and visualisation techniques, this can be troubling. I use molecular modelling kits, computer animations and my whiteboard to aid your understanding in this type of content.
Furthermore, my notes are designed to aid understanding – spaces are left blank for the individual to fill out, so they can develop a visual memory link and can replicate these ideas during the exam.

Examples of this type of content includes:
- Mole calculations
- Atomic structures and models
- Equilibriums in chemistry
- Projectile motion calculations
- Waves (transverse v longitudinal)
- Solar cells and P-N junctions

2. Content which needs to be rote learned are also accounted for in my notes. These topics require you to be able to answer basic questions rather than figure or derive another idea. This type of content relies more heavily on memory techniques such as mnemonics, of which I have many. Additionally, I try not to waste lesson time on this content, and I provide model exam responses verbatim and rather, spend the time explaining how to tackle relevant exam questions.

Examples of this type of content includes:
- Types of metals and their functions
- History of the periodic table
- History of acids and bases
- The need for replacement of a natural product
- Westinghouse vs edison
- Planck vs einstein
- The development of the model of our universe

Similarly, my notes are planned out just as I have done in this post – I introduce the main ideas and go into depth, giving relevant examples and explaining the content. I find this is the best way students follow along, and so I readily change my style of teaching to suit the student's needs.

With this model, every single student I have had to date has improved their exam marks. This experience I hope to transfer to my future students and help them achieve the same great marks.

Rates:

My rates are extremely competitive and are lower than those of nearby tutoring centres. I do this because I understand it takes longer for students to get to my place than to a tutoring centre, and because I personally do gain pleasure from my student’s achievements. I take small groups of 3-4 students, and you are welcome to form your own groups!

My rate is $30/hr per person. Lessons are 2 hours long per subject for both year 11 and year 12, in order to comfortable complete the syllabus whilst also developing proper exam technique.

About me:

I graduated from Sydney Boys High School in 2014, with 3rd in the grade and an ATAR of 99.95. I’ve had somewhat of a sporting background, playing Rugby in the 2nd XV in year 11, all the while trying to challenge myself at school. I ended up coming 1st internally at SBHS for Physics and 3rd internally for Chemistry, and gained a state rank in HSC chemistry (19th in the state).
I currently study a Bachelor of Science (Advanced) and a Doctor of Medicine double degree and Sydney University. I receive the University of Sydney Chancellor’s Award scholarship and I am currently in my second year of university. I initiated a peer-to-peer tutoring program in my final year of high school and I have been tutoring ever since. My marks for the HSC were:
- 95 in HSC Physics
- 97 in HSC Chemistry
- 96 in 4U Mathematics
- 99 in 3U Mathematics
- 94 in HSC English
For any more information, you can see my linkedin profile https://www.linkedin.com/in/weber-liu-118985b9 or feel free to contact me

If you wish to contact me, my mobile number is 0468678002 – if I do not answer right away, please do leave a message and I will respond as soon as I can. Otherwise, you can email me at wliu1996@hotmail.com.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)