Year 11 Economics Tutoring | UAI 99.40 | 94 Econ | Eco/Law in Uni | UNSW Econ Tutor (1 Viewer)

tichondrius

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Everyone,

My name is Sam. I am starting an Economics Tutoring class for Year 11 students who are ready to conquer HSC Economics!

My Qualifications

In addition to achieving 94 in Economics for the HSC and a UAI (old school for ATAR) of 99.40 I have:

• Completed a degree in Economics and Law from the University of New South Wales (UNSW) - graduating with Distinction in Economics (a 'High Distinction' average) and First Class Honours in Law (top 10% of the cohort)
  • Was appointed to tutor advanced economics courses as a 'Tutor in Charge' at UNSW - teaching Undergraduate and Masters University courses over the course of my degree
  • Was evaluated by my students at UNSW as scoring an average of 99% across all teaching metrics and have a number of my HSC and University students who will testify to my effective teaching style (see below)
  • Designed a HSC and Preliminary Economics tutoring syllabus and taught HSC Economics, 2 Unit and 3 Unit Mathematics at a well regarded tuition centre in Hurstville
  • Work as a Business Strategy Consultant advising the biggest companies in Australia - which means I live and breathe economics every working day!

My Teaching Style

HSC Economics is focused largely on three things:
  • Developing a conceptual understanding of economic principles
  • Having sufficient grasp of the syllabus content to solve problems
  • Communicating economic analysis effectively and structuring arguments based on economic principles by answering short answer and extended response

Accordingly my classes will be focused on getting students to excel at these three things. Each class is geared towards discussion of core economics concepts to develop a sufficient understanding so students will not have to 'go back to the textbook' to learn things that they have forgotten. Classes are given structure through course notes which are designed by me, leveraging both Riley's Economics textbooks, my HSC notes and my own additions from which are designed to tie the notes very closely to the structure of the syllabus.

This makes both following the class and revising for tests much easier! Each class also has an associated 'workbook' of questions that you will be expected to complete each week, which will develop your ability to answer multiple choice questions, short answer questions and eventually extended response. I have attached the notes and workbook for class 1 so you can have a look. Each class will involve a set of course notes which you will work to "fill out" during class. You will be given the "completed course notes" the following week so you can make sure you haven't missed anything.

My teaching style is informal and encourages student participation. I have found this to be the most effective way to create rapid understanding of course content and develop problem solving skills and getting students engaged. I have attached some of my UNSW tutor evaluations so that you can see what other people have said about me (remember, these were completely anonymous)!

Why only Year 11?

A common misconception is that "you don't need to know year 11 economics for year 12 economics" - this is definitely not true. The economic principles in Year 11 are essential for a thorough understanding of the year 12 topics: it is much easier to understand Inflation and Unemployment in the Year 12 'Economic Issues' topic with a thorough understanding of the price mechanism and Labour Markets which you learn in year 11. I would love the opportunity to teach students from the start to finish for HSC Economics because I believe my teaching will have the highest impact on students ability to excel in the HSC.

Where, when and how much will it cost, and how do I sign up?

Where: The class will be taught in a room at Homebush Boys High School
When: The first class will be on Sunday Morning, February 5 - very likely at 9am (time TBC). The classes will run for 90 minutes
How much?: Each class will cost $30 - which will cover printouts of the class notes, completed class notes and workbooks. The first two classes will be FREE OF CHARGE so that you can see whether or not it is right for you.

Give me a buzz on 0409 793 605, at samuel.sathiakumar@gmail.com or send me a PM if you are interested, have any further questions or would like to join the class!

Student Evaluations

Attachments

edibleyetnot

HSC
Re: Year 11 Economics Tutoring | UAI 99.40 | 94 Econ | Eco/Law in Uni | UNSW Econ Tut

Samuel taught me ext 1 maths back when I was in year 11. He's a good guy and helped me ace my maths results in for prelims and I went on to do ext 2. Would recommend you guys try out his econ class. Plus it's free for the first couple of lesson so there's really nothing to lose. You won't regret it :)

candisnap

HSC
N/A
Re: Year 11 Economics Tutoring | UAI 99.40 | 94 Econ | Eco/Law in Uni | UNSW Econ Tut

Just chiming in, Sam is an old tutor of mine as well. He’s very enthusiastic, dedicated and patient — especially if you’re the easily distracted type like me! He tutored me for Ext 1 Maths. The content came naturally to him but more importantly, he knows how to explain concepts from a perspective most suited to your way of understanding. He’s at ease as a teacher and invokes a sense of confidence you might not have felt in yourself otherwise. I went on to study Law at UNSW as well and Sam was generous enough to help me out as a friend, whenever I needed it.

ripple lily

HSC

It's great to see Samuel giving back to society with his specialty in economics! I've known Samuel since year 11. He was my tutor and ultimately became a good friend of mine as well. One of the things about him is that if you don't understand something, he can tell... and then he would change the way he would explain something until you get it. I only had him tutor me in economics but he was definitely an inspirational figure even during my university years. I had attended one of his economics analytics tutorials one time during university out of curiosity and I still understood what he was talking about even though I didn't major in economics in university. He is an amazing teacher, mentor and role model who will motivate you through year 11 and your HSC. Try it out. He'll be able to apply theory to practically any situation it need be. To everyone going through year 11 and HSC - you can do it!

tichondrius

HSC
Uni Grad

The above responses were all solicited by me (full disclosure!) by these people who have gone on to do amazing things!!

Two students from the prestigious North Sydney Girls will be joining the year 11 class which is great! Strongly encourage any of you year 11 kids who aren't sure about whether you need economics tutoring to at least come to the 2 free lessons where I will be discussing the 'secret sauce' to being able to 'get economics'!!!

There has been some interest in a year 12 class which I will be starting at 10:30 on Sundays too for those who are interested - even though it is my preference to start at the beginning with preliminary HSC I can't really say no if there are year 12 students who want to Excel at Economics!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)