Job Opportunity for distinguished achievers in Advanced English (1 Viewer)

WriteWayUp

HSC
Uni Grad
Take the right first step into the job market by doing something meaningful, intellectual rewarding, and that pays well!

A great opportunity is on offer for you to join me as an English literature resources and tuition provider. Ideally you will have just completed your HSC with distinguished results in Advanced English, and are passionate about sharing your flair and knowledge in literary studies.

The majority of my students are in year 11 or their HSC year. My aim is to create a fruitful learning experience beyond the crowded, resource-strained classroom for students who are either struggling with the subject, or excelling at it and looking more intellectually stimulating material.

See my website, or email rebecca.z@unsw.edu.au, to get a better idea of my approach to tuition.

As an English literature tutor you will:

- Workshop assessment drafts of a variety of mediums with students in their final years of high school.
- Explain the thematic significance of key passages of texts prescribed by the Board of Studies or by your student's teachers.
- Discuss composers' use of techniques, how they shape the text's themes, and ways to integrate their effects into an essay.
- Provide exam and assessment strategies to assist them in reaching their ATAR goals.

What you can expect:

- An intellectually rewarding working experience to complement your studies at university
- Regular weekly hours
- Flexibility in fixing contact hours with the student.
- $30/hour starting wage (each session is 1.5 hours)
- Freedom to develop your own teaching style.
- Ongoing advice from experienced tutors.

What we would like from you:

- A high band 6 HSC mark for English Advanced of at least 92/100. This mark can either be the internal assessment mark, or the exam mark.
- Preferably you will have done Extension English and scored a band E4 - over 45/50 or above. It would be great if you also did Modern History or Society and Culture.
- Be familiar with some texts on the syllabus other than the ones you were assessed on for your HSC, or be able to learn them in a short time frame.
- Some previous tutoring experience is preferred but not mandatory.
- Willingness to travel to libraries to meet your students (local or central)
- Demonstrated ability to explain concepts clearly, give constructive criticism, listen attentively, and respond to students' concerns in a trial lesson.

This is a great opportunity if you're going into full time study this year at university to extend the creative and critical capabilities developed during HSC English studies as you pursue non-Arts/English related careers.

If you are about to commence studying, or are currently studying Arts/English, then teaching would be the ideal way to test and refine your own textual analysis skills, and to enhance your general communication ability. As an inspiring mentor, you can also make an enduringly positive impact on your student's educational experience.

Apply by sending your resume and an outline of relevant HSC marks to rebecca.z@unsw.edu.au

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)