100 UMAT, 99.65 Med Student| Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Olympiads, UMAT, Interviews (1 Viewer)

PikachuSGS

HSC
Hi all! My name’s Austin, graduating last year from Sydney Grammar School. I’m now studying Medicine at UNSW, and looking for some students I can help achieve their full potential this year. I have taught privately for more than two years, in addition to other roles with professional organisations further honing my skills in tuition and mentorship. This experience ensures I have the ability and knowledge to share what I know and adjust my teaching to cater to your individual learning style and strengths.

A limited selection of my credentials:
100 UMAT (Medentry Excellence Award)
99.65 ATAR
100 3U (1st in Trials)
98 4U Maths (2nd in Trials)
95 Physics
93 Chemistry
Perfect Score in the Australian Intermediate Mathematics Olympiad
Gold Medal in Physics and Chemistry Olympiad
Invitee to Maths Olympiad Summer School
Invitee to Chemistry Olympiad Summer School

I recommend you examine my full resumé at https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwim2bka2srdgbh/Zhang, Austin- Tutoring Resumé.docx?dl=0

I currently offer tuition in all levels of Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics, up to and including Olympiads.
I also offer services dedicated to students interested in entering Medicine. I tutor both UMAT and GAMSAT, and am able to advise on ideal study patterns and cater directly to each university’s selection criteria for entry. When it comes time for it, I can also provide interview assistance, preparing you with the knowledge and mindset to approach every university with confidence.

I primarily teach at UNSW Main Library or my own home nearby. Lessons are $60 an hour.

All conditions are negotiable and I am flexible to suit your particular needs.

I hope to see you all soon!
Austin Zhang (Mob: 0421710253, Email: austinzhang99@gmail.com)

Resumé: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwim2bka2srdgbh/Zhang, Austin- Tutoring Resumé.docx?dl=0

Attachments

Last edited:

StudentRN

HSC
N/A
Re: 100 UMAT, 99.65 Med Student| Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Olympiads, UMAT, Intervie

What is bump?

And also could you please provide a detailed guide on how you studied for each subject please :) and how you achieved those marks

PikachuSGS

HSC
Re: 100 UMAT, 99.65 Med Student| Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Olympiads, UMAT, Intervie

Bumps are just a way for tutors to indicate their ads are currently active and looking for students. They trigger an indicator for recent activity in the forum bots, returning it to the top of active threads.

I don't feel a guide on my personal study habits will be particularly helpful. Everyone has an individual learning style, and the best study method will be one personalised to you. I can help you work it out, and offer suggestions as to what I imagine may work well for you, but directly copying my study habits is unlikely to yield the best results.

If you wish to know anyway, I tried to cater my study towards each subject and what I knew/ had heard of them. Mathematical concepts and theorems came naturally to me, so the majority of my time was spent on past papers, honing my exam technique and the trickier, more variable questions. In contrast, Chemistry has a large amount of content which must be rote-learnt. More of my time was spent memorising everything that needed to be known, and I began past papers later, only as exams approached. Notes were more important and writing styles also needed to be considered. Physics was an interesting mix of both, and I tried to tackle the equations and short answer questions separately, using strategies similar to those above. Consistent effort and steady study are also important components of the HSC, but I'm sure you've already heard that.

I hope what I've said has helped. Working out what works best for you is usually a mix of experience and reflective learning. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

StudentRN

HSC
N/A

Bumps are just a way for tutors to indicate their ads are currently active and looking for students. They trigger an indicator for recent activity in the forum bots, returning it to the top of active threads.

I don't feel a guide on my personal study habits will be particularly helpful. Everyone has an individual learning style, and the best study method will be one personalised to you. I can help you work it out, and offer suggestions as to what I imagine may work well for you, but directly copying my study habits is unlikely to yield the best results.

If you wish to know anyway, I tried to cater my study towards each subject and what I knew/ had heard of them. Mathematical concepts and theorems came naturally to me, so the majority of my time was spent on past papers, honing my exam technique and the trickier, more variable questions. In contrast, Chemistry has a large amount of content which must be rote-learnt. More of my time was spent memorising everything that needed to be known, and I began past papers later, only as exams approached. Notes were more important and writing styles also needed to be considered. Physics was an interesting mix of both, and I tried to tackle the equations and short answer questions separately, using strategies similar to those above. Consistent effort and steady study are also important components of the HSC, but I'm sure you've already heard that.

I hope what I've said has helped. Working out what works best for you is usually a mix of experience and reflective learning. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
Thank you very much for replying, I really appreciate your time :)
Do you have any tips on how to succeed in Advanced English and the Umat since you are doing medicine?

PikachuSGS

HSC

English is an extreme case of the trend I described above. It's impossible to give relevant advice without close analysis of your texts/ writing styles/ everything else. For the UMAT, I personally only used practice papers to get a feel for the types of questions they'd give me. I know some of my friends found seminars which taught strategies somewhat helpful, but they were rather unnecessary in my opinion. Perhaps it's worth going just to make sure you don't miss anything.

StudentRN

HSC
N/A

English is an extreme case of the trend I described above. It's impossible to give relevant advice without close analysis of your texts/ writing styles/ everything else. For the UMAT, I personally only used practice papers to get a feel for the types of questions they'd give me. I know some of my friends found seminars which taught strategies somewhat helpful, but they were rather unnecessary in my opinion. Perhaps it's worth going just to make sure you don't miss anything.
Do you think I could still make it into medicine if I haven't really studied this first term of year 11 (but I will study consistently for all the terms I have remaining?
Did this happen to you or were you consistent all throughout your prelim/hsc at school?

PikachuSGS

HSC

Assuming you're NSW, Yr 11 doesn't actually count for anything. There's no reason you can't do well since you haven't gone through any assessments yet. Once you hit yr 12, it will actually count towards your ATAR. Whether or not you can make it will depend significantly on your marks and general academic ability.
Each university has different cutoffs and criteria. The least academically competitive are UNE/ Newcastle and UWS, which only require 96+. Beyond that, they don't look at it. Selection for interview is based on UMAT, and selection for offers are based on interview.
UNSW will require 99+ to be competitive. UMAT takes a significant part of their weighting in addition to the interview.
Don't forget to also apply interstate if you're able to and really want med. UQ, Monash and Adelaide are good universities to keep in mind, but there are plenty of other med schools across Australia as well. I'd recommend you begin looking at which universities and states July/ August next year, as that's approximately when applications open.

Medstudentsonline is a good website for additional information of this sort. Hope this helped.

PikachuSGS

HSC

Bump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)