Tutoring for 3U (1 Viewer)

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Whats the best official tutoring for 3U. Im thinking Kip McGrath, is that good for year 11 3U math?

edit: Its more or less teaching than tutoring because im not in a preliminary 3U math class

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
I've gotta say, I'd never recommend Kip McGrath to anybody, let alone a HSC student.

I think the best thing might be an ex HSC student.

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
Thanks,

I think i will go to 2 lessons but if I think it isnt going well, then i will dump it and go to something else. But the bottom line is that i need year 11 ext 1 tutoring, but its more like teaching that i need, but, because of certain circumstances i cant be in any yr 11 math

Could someone please give me a diagnosis based on the following information;

I currently have 2 textbooks, Maths in Focus and Cambridge. I find MIF eassy, but Cambridge is alot more challanging, for example. As you may know, cambridge is broken into 3 sections, Foundation, Development and Extension. Foundation is easy, Development makes me think and re-check and some questions i spend 15 min on (slightly exagerated, but not to much) and extension is just crazy

So whats you diagnosis?

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
lol, textbook means NOTHING, I had maths in focus for 2unit maths, and i had Jones and Couchman for 3unit maths. Jones and Couchman was freakn 60 years old. and Maths in Focus a 2 year old could complete it.
I USED those textbooks only. Plus a lot of HSC past papers.
HSC Marks: 2u math : 98 3u math : 49/50

Conclusion 1: Textbook doesnt matter as long as ou do past papers
Conclusion 2: WHAT DA HECK DO I NEED TO GET TO GET A STATE RANKING?!?! :(

Excel1001

HSC
I like EKC

(it used to be called James An Coaching College)..

now its EKC (EduKingdom College)

It's really good!

kony

HSC
wrxsti said:
Conclusion 2: WHAT DA HECK DO I NEED TO GET TO GET A STATE RANKING?!?! :(
you are seriously disadvantaged though, having only done 3 unit, in terms of trying to get a state ranking.

doing 4unit just means you get better at all the 3unit topics :)

especially with the tricky projectile motions question last year.

doink

Clone
HSC
don't get an ex HSC student, they are in it for the money and will be reluctant to do any more than necessary to help you. Find a teacher or someone else who has a BSc majoring in mathematics or advanced mathematics, someone who is passionate about maths and has a want to help you succeed. Also Fitzpatrick is a great textbook

Zephyrio

HSC
Lol... 8th or so in the state for 2U was 98/100. OMG how I wish I could get a state ranking for 2u :(

locked.on

HSC
But as well as reading and understanding the theory behind Maths, you need practice in questions to be perfect.

I'd say invest in some books of practice HSC-Style questions or download the of Board of Studies or the Bored of Studies archives.

kony

HSC
doink said:
don't get an ex HSC student, they are in it for the money
and you can generalise like so, because you've met every tutor for the hsc?

I personally don't do it for the money (simply because I have enough to live very comfortably in any case), I do it to improve my communication skills, and to pass on the knowledge I've discerned so someone else can benefit from it.

Affinity

HSC
It's not that hard to judge a tutor... you can usually tell if they know what they are on about.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)