Australia ABC college in Fairfield? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I'm thinking of enrolling there for English.. but i don't know.
Has anyone been tutored there? And if so, is it good? Any comments?

Thanks. =]

Cyborgsanta

HSC
I heard it's not that great. IF you want an english tutor, the 2 most popular and perhaps best ones are Mr Tishler (who works at troung, james ann) or Mrs Diab

Kujah

HSC
N/A
I'm there at the moment. For the sciences and maths (to a lesser extent), its okay. For English, it depends on the tutor you actually get.

ddtng

HSC
Cyborgsanta said:
I heard it's not that great. IF you want an english tutor, the 2 most popular and perhaps best ones are Mr Tishler (who works at troung, james ann) or Mrs Diab
Not quite anymore. He has his own new place though.

HSC
Oh alright. Thanks for the comments guys. I don't want to there anymore. My friend recommended this other tutor for me, so i might be going there.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Cyborgsanta said:
lol Mr Tishler is the deputy principal at Macquarie Fields High where I used to go. He's a really scary guy. He yelled at me when I told him I was leaving the school. He's really strict and stuff as well but apparantely, he is a really good english teacher.

Ms Diab is an English teacher of my school I currently attend, SEfton. She's a good teacher as well. Perhaps one of the best in the faculty. SHe's really nice and cool.

Oh alright. Thanks for the comments guys. I don't want to there anymore. My friend recommended this other tutor for me, so i might be going there.
lol well thats good. Good luck in your English. Don't worry if you dont do well in English. It's a mere subject based on skills more than knowledge.

basilstick

HSC
nah dont waste you moolah and time on tishler or diab. teachers who teach in south west sydney are there because they obviously cant get anywhere better. i went to hte both of them and saw my english ranks slide too the double digits. right now im without a tutor and am top 5 in the grade. just knuckle down and study hard and youll do fine without a tutor. :)

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
basilstick said:
nah dont waste you moolah and time on tishler or diab. teachers who teach in south west sydney are there because they obviously cant get anywhere better. i went to hte both of them and saw my english ranks slide too the double digits. right now im without a tutor and am top 5 in the grade. just knuckle down and study hard and youll do fine without a tutor. :)
What makes you think that just because a teacher is in the South-West that they can't get anywhere better? It's probably a smarter move to be in the South West because there is a strong asian presence, and therefore a great opportunity to gain students who want tutoring.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
basilstick said:
It is kind of true that tutoring does not neccessarily help you as it gives you more stress but for english it is good to have a tutor to check your work before you hand it in. Maybe you are doing better without a tutor because you don't like the stress or you just don't try as hard in tutoring because you know the reports dont matter.

and the thing about the south west sydney are bad is not neccessarily true. The teachers that teach south west are most likely more inclined to teach students that are having more trouble in areas where it is harder to find tutoring.

basilstick

HSC
think whatever- im not here to prove a point but merely offer advice.

I think that if youre struggling with english i.e ranked in the bottom2/3 then it may be wise to invest in a tutor. But if you do, then i recommend you dont skimp, instead go for a private tutor. They may be a bit more costly, but then you'll be getting one on one help relevant to what you are learning- and besides, its your HSC- no point being stingy.

From experience, i find it helpful if you prepare real well for youre exams. Write essays and get youre teachers to critique them, because ultimately, they are the ones who will be marking your school assessments and in turn determining your ranks. AND before doing an exam, although teachers dont like the idea, having a generic type essay really helps!

I don't want it to seem like i have a vendetta against tishler or anything, but he is not a good tutor. When it comes to year 12, my friend (who is looking for another tutor) tells me that instead of localised studies of text, he just teaches the general information which suits everybody, even if theyre not stdying the same texts- which negates the purpose of having a tutor.

Final words- its up to you. But if you do end up going eng tut, i think private is the way to go.

nusardelo

HSC
N/A
well, i go to abc college in fairfield and even though im only in year six and stuff, it's pretty good but like everyone else said, depends who your tutor is.

oasfree

HSC
N/A
well, i go to abc college in fairfield and even though im only in year six and stuff, it's pretty good but like everyone else said, depends who your tutor is.
My nieces were and are with ABC. It depends on the tutor. I had a look at the marking in English, it was bad. But I think that depends on the teacher. I don't expect anything special about places that put up 30 kids into one class anyway. Private one-on-one tutor will certainly beat going to a class like that but the cost will be much higher. My nieces did scrape into selective schools by going to ABC so I suppose coaching will work to some extent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)