ENGLISH HSC tutoring at northshore, prior, matrix or tipps or even preuni?????? (1 Viewer)

kadiojill

HSC
hey all,
just wondering which college is the BEST for advanced english? i've been trying to get a proper HSC marker to tutor me but i cant find anyone!!!! so assuming these colleges have HSC markers as teachers which ones are good? any opinions will be appreciated!

5233andy

HSC
Sorry, but I just can't help myself, why on earth do you need an English tutor? Don't undermine your English teacher; they are more than capable with teaching the subject. Further, your performance in English is determined by your understanding of the texts and the concepts that underpin it. If you can't form an opinion and feed on the opinion of a tutor, you are depriving yourself of the capabilities of English, as a subject, in terms of the philosophical nature of it, which can ultimately educate you on aspects of life.

If you are struggling on English, have you approached your teacher? I can tell that you haven't. Many individuals fall victim to the notion that tutoring will get you everywhere - what about your teachers? Why has it come to the point where tutors replace the integrity of your school teachers? If you find this offensive, I don't apologise for it. YOu need to break into the realisation that your teachers are who they are, teachers, not supervisors.

jeff.wong

HSC
5233andy said:
Sorry, but I just can't help myself, why on earth do you need an English tutor? Don't undermine your English teacher; they are more than capable with teaching the subject. Further, your performance in English is determined by your understanding of the texts and the concepts that underpin it. If you can't form an opinion and feed on the opinion of a tutor, you are depriving yourself of the capabilities of English, as a subject, in terms of the philosophical nature of it, which can ultimately educate you on aspects of life.

If you are struggling on English, have you approached your teacher? I can tell that you haven't. Many individuals fall victim to the notion that tutoring will get you everywhere - what about your teachers? Why has it come to the point where tutors replace the integrity of your school teachers? If you find this offensive, I don't apologise for it. YOu need to break into the realisation that your teachers are who they are, teachers, not supervisors.
I agree. Nevertheless, tutors do help if you are struggling. I suggest matrix because they offer writing centre to aid you with your essays. Personally I did not attend any [but most of my friends said good things about Matrix other than their price].

5233andy

HSC
jeff.wong said:
I agree. Nevertheless, tutors do help if you are struggling. I suggest matrix because they offer writing centre to aid you with your essays. Personally I did not attend any [but most of my friends said good things about Matrix other than their price].

Yes, however, teachers provide help as well, that is, if you ask for it.

I attend a school where approximately 55-60% of the form attends some sort of external tuition. Is this necessary? The issue is that many replace their actual teachers with tutors, who frankly, won't be of any help at all, when it comes to the HSC - after all, it is your teacher who knows you best, not a tutor. 'Oh I'll ask my tutor that...' - that is the mentality of those who attend external tuition - they sanctify these institutions, as though they are people of whom you can depend on.

You have to realise that tutors are simply feeding their animals - you pay them to feed you with information that you may not even be able to comprehend. If you don't ask your school teacher questions, or if you don't raise the fact that you're struggling and would like further assistance, it's your loss.

I've also heard that 'tutoring has helped so much' - fine, if that's the case, don't bother with school, attend tutoring and prepare to fail - because it is your school teachers who have the capacity to lead you to success, not bloody external tutors.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
I highly recommend talent 100 for advanced english, great teacher + great notes + small class.

*kate

HSC
I use to go tipps, its not very effective. Theres no homework and the classes are mixed but the teachers are good if you approach them
I go to Matrix now and its pretty good. Small classes, individual help and they have writing classes too

laceytutu

HSC
Well I'm going to North Shore at the moment and I think the advanced class is good if you can approach the teacher and if you are willing to do the follow up work. I found that the tutoring gave me a more complex but sophisticated view of the topic "Belonging" but if you expect to be spoon fed, it's not the tutor for you.

b3li3v3r

HSC
N/A
English tutoring at tipps is alright.
I heard Matrix is really good. But a bit pricey.

However my friend who did the HSC last year said that a private tutor for English is really good. You can give that a try.

Fortify

♪웨딩드레스
HSC
English tutoring at tipps is alright.
I heard Matrix is really good. But a bit pricey.

However my friend who did the HSC last year said that a private tutor for English is really good. You can give that a try.
Yeh, Matrix is pretty expensive. I suggest finding yourself a Private Tutor.

cupid^^

HSC
arhhh I dont know who this is, but North Shore has the best english teacher around, almost noone that goes there knows a better english teacher in terms of anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)