Please recommend a coaching college. (1 Viewer)

smushieex

HSC
I've read through the 'best tutoring colleges' thread, though it only gave me a little info.
Right now I go to Discovery college at strathfield, but I actually want to change.
I want to see if there's any other good tutoring colleges out there before I continue with Discovery.
(I just received my term 4 enrolment form for discovery)
Matrix is the level above Discovery in Strathfield plaza and I've heard pretty good stuff about it, however I've heard it's quite costly. My mum pays $450 a term for discovery(just maths), is that anywhere near the amount for matrix?

I've also heard of Tipps, but that's not really part of my choices since the location is a bit blehh.

Oh btw, the subjects I'm thinking of getting tutored in is Maths and chem.

thanks in advance.

Aznmichael92

HSC
at tipps u pay like $400 per school term but things get paid monthly. Do you not like the suburb? In terms of location, it is really close to train so convenient for travelling. I only recommend maths there. Not english or chem or physics.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
smushieex said:
I've read through the 'best tutoring colleges' thread, though it only gave me a little info.
Right now I go to Discovery college at strathfield, but I actually want to change.
I want to see if there's any other good tutoring colleges out there before I continue with Discovery.
(I just received my term 4 enrolment form for discovery)
Matrix is the level above Discovery in Strathfield plaza and I've heard pretty good stuff about it, however I've heard it's quite costly. My mum pays $450 a term for discovery(just maths), is that anywhere near the amount for matrix?

I've also heard of Tipps, but that's not really part of my choices since the location is a bit blehh.

Oh btw, the subjects I'm thinking of getting tutored in is Maths and chem.

thanks in advance.
Have you heard of Matrix or Prior?

They are probably the best tutoring colleges for Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry as their results suggest. But they are quite expensive - $1000 a term but the hourly rate is quite decent = $30 per hour but you do 3 hours every week, that's why it costs so high.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
barbecuedflava said:
tutoring colleges suck. get a private tutor ;)
lol, I personally find tutoring college better but it really depends on who you have...

smushieex

HSC
yeah, I've tried private tutoring as well. I didn't like it b/c it didn't have the structure that you'd find at a college. We basically sat there with her asking me what I didn't know. It just didn't seem that effective to me.
I personally find one-on-one a bit awkward as well. Then again, that's just me. lol

Matrix is $1000? 3 hrs at senior level right?

I just checked the timetable for the senior subjects at discovery and it's roughly the same price O__O (the $450 I mentioned was only for year 10 maths)

Maths - 3 hrs- $990 per term o_o

Well, I'm only a bit reluctant to go to Matrix b/c I've heard it's waay to strict and stuff. And I'm scared that I'd be the dumbest person there since apparently half the kids that go to matrix go to selective schools.
I'm not 'gifted' in math, I go tutoring for maths simply because I suck at it. I don't want to be placed in a room that will emphasise my ... incompetency and kill my self esteem. lol.

Aznmichael92: My friend actually goes to Tipps and she's pretty smart. Is Tipps like, an actual 'building' or is it in a house? Is it walking distance from the station? o_o lol

rolror88

HSC
N/A
You have to sit a placement test for maths I think, so you wouldn't be put in a class that's too hard or too easy for you I guess. Yea, matrix have strict rules that if you don't do your homework for a second offence, they can kick you out (or something along those lines). I don't think its half the kids are from selective schools.. They advertise half their students are from selective or top 30 schools. Even though you go to a selective school, it doesn't automatically mean your smart so I don't think you should be afraid or anything like that.

I've been to Matrix for English (rubbish) and I'm going there for Physics. I've had a friend go there for maths year 10 and he says its pretty good. I've seen the work booklets for both Discovery and Matrix, and I honestly say they look very similiar (in terms of content and layout). But teachers - I'd have no idea.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
smushieex said:
yeah, I've tried private tutoring as well. I didn't like it b/c it didn't have the structure that you'd find at a college. We basically sat there with her asking me what I didn't know. It just didn't seem that effective to me.
I personally find one-on-one a bit awkward as well. Then again, that's just me. lol

Matrix is $1000? 3 hrs at senior level right?

I just checked the timetable for the senior subjects at discovery and it's roughly the same price O__O (the $450 I mentioned was only for year 10 maths)

Maths - 3 hrs- $990 per term o_o

Well, I'm only a bit reluctant to go to Matrix b/c I've heard it's waay to strict and stuff. And I'm scared that I'd be the dumbest person there since apparently half the kids that go to matrix go to selective schools.
I'm not 'gifted' in math, I go tutoring for maths simply because I suck at it. I don't want to be placed in a room that will emphasise my ... incompetency and kill my self esteem. lol.

Aznmichael92: My friend actually goes to Tipps and she's pretty smart. Is Tipps like, an actual 'building' or is it in a house? Is it walking distance from the station? o_o lol
Matrix people are alright. When I was in the top maths class (called acceleration class), there was no one there who was really up there. I need to remind you that half of them were basically from North Sydney Boys/Girls, Sydney Boys/Girls, James Ruse and some exclusive private high schools.

And it is not strict at all. I was really hyperactive during lesson and I interrupted teachers so many times during thier lesson but I nevef got in trouble or my teacher didn't mind me acting like a ADHD sufferer.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:
Matrix people are alright. When I was in the top maths class (called acceleration class), there was no one there who was really up there. I need to remind you that half of them were basically from North Sydney Boys/Girls, Sydney Boys/Girls, James Ruse and some exclusive private high schools.

And it is not strict at all. I was really hyperactive during lesson and I interrupted teachers so many times during thier lesson but I nevef got in trouble or my teacher didn't mind me acting like a ADHD sufferer.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maths, Physics and Chemistry at Matrix are good - especially Physics and Chemistry if you get teachers like Derek and Donnelly. DJ is ok, I don't really like him though - he's intimidating at times and slightly boring. In terms of English , I heard that it isn't that great.

In terms of people, Matrix students are nice. :uhhuh: There are people from selective schools, but not a large majority I don't think. It seems pretty balanced and most people don't care whether you go to a selective or not in the first place.

Aznmichael92

HSC
smushieex said:
well the centre uses two houses that they bought to create classrooms. They were planning to buy third house(next to the 2nd house) but owner wouldnt let. So they rented it instead. They planning to use that building for like a library where tipp students can go there and study. They will be assisted by teachers but this probably wont happen till sometime later.

For station, yes its in walking distance. I say 2 min walk?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)