Anyone for self-tutoring or no tutoring... (1 Viewer)

Babbu

HSC
Just wondering. Am I the only one who doesn't go for any tutoring? But keep wondering did I do the right thing by being on my own. Afterall, nobody will call me a genius - if I end up getting 95 UAI while others with tutors' help get more. It's the outcomes that matter.

Now with a few months left, it won't be a good idea to experiment with tutoring as it requires some adjustment I suppose. Shoudl have strated it long tiem ago if at all. So, I keep telling myself...I'll do it all myself and see how it goes. Then again, it might fade my most sincere efforts in comparison to those who have been going to elite tutoring colleges, as Matrix, Intuition and Prior etc. I have heard they give fabulous notes and have through preparation techniques like intensive exams etc. I thought of going to TSFX seminar but didn't go.

Are their others like me?
Are there any 2008 HSC students who have done outstandingly well (99+ UAI or topped some subjects) without any tutoring?
Is tutoring necessary?

rockvsstone

HSC
Well, if you're on your own...are you prepared to get ahead of class and not rely on the teacher? That's the true art of self-learn imo. I guess tutoring is good for back-up as it establishes a minimum standard of work for u to complete....but if you're self-motivated enough to work on the textbook on ur own, then u'll go much further than those that spend heaps of money on tutoring & only rely solely on their tutors. That's wat i think..

Babbu

HSC
Yes, sometimes I too feel tutoring would have been benefical in some ways - tiem management and extra notes.

But seems like its too late for it. That's why I was trying to ask if there are others who were in a similar situation during their 2008 or previous HSCs...and who eventually ended up doing better even without tutoring.
I haven't come across anyone such though. So just wonder i may not do really well if everyone goes for tuitions :uhoh:

dp624

HSC
I know quite a lot of people on 99.95 and maybe on 100 who didn't get tutored at all.

Tutoring IMO is best when you either
a) accelerate outside of school
b) you're struggling
c) you're uber perfectionist - in this case only the best tutors can help

rockvsstone

HSC
Babbu said:
Yes, sometimes I too feel tutoring would have been benefical in some ways - tiem management and extra notes.

But seems like its too late for it. That's why I was trying to ask if there are others who were in a similar situation during their 2008 or previous HSCs...and who eventually ended up doing better even without tutoring.
I haven't come across anyone such though. So just wonder i may not do really well if everyone goes for tuitions :uhoh:
I don't think it's too late...... if u wana try. I mean, you've only done first assessment which is prolly worth like 10%. But if you decide to go tutoring, make sure you learn by yourself as well. Like umm... perhaps you can learn ahead by typing up dot point notes on the comp with your own textbook. If you're like full on lazy and just listeni solely on what the tutor is teaching u without responding to the work ...then you'll only improve slightly - still improve a little since they do provide more opportunities for you to learn and more chances of exposure to work in general . However, a person who is fully responsible to their own learning with their textbook should do much better than one that goes tutoring without being responsible. How r u doing for the first term anyways?

georgefren

HSC
Im not tutoring at all.

But then again i dont do subjects that tutor easily (like 4maths, physics, chemistry ect).

Just do the work on your own, and ask your teacher when you need help. Thats all a tutor can do for you anyway, is give you work and some advice when you need it.

Babbu

HSC
dp624 said:
I know quite a lot of people on 99.95 and maybe on 100 who didn't get tutored at all.

Tutoring IMO is best when you either
a) accelerate outside of school
b) you're struggling
c) you're uber perfectionist - in this case only the best tutors can help

do624...rightly said. Wonder if I'll get time to accelerate now. I'm not really struggling in any way. In a way I do accelerate from tiem to time as I have rather wider knowledge developed over the years about most subjects than those who stick to the syllabus. But it is suggestions like "HSC is a game and it is not how much you know but how and what you write that matters" that make me wonder if my approach is wrong or right. So the writing techniques, the verbs, the dot points etc etc...and then the memorising and cramming is what I am not good at. Problem sticking to the syllabus.

Well, you can say I am a perfectionist in a way and would need the very best tutors if at all. And that is where the problem is.

Babbu

HSC
rockvsstone said:
I don't think it's too late...... if u wana try. I mean, you've only done first assessment which is prolly worth like 10%. But if you decide to go tutoring, make sure you learn by yourself as well. Like umm... perhaps you can learn ahead by typing up dot point notes on the comp with your own textbook. If you're like full on lazy and just listeni solely on what the tutor is teaching u without responding to the work ...then you'll only improve slightly - still improve a little since they do provide more opportunities for you to learn and more chances of exposure to work in general . However, a person who is fully responsible to their own learning with their textbook should do much better than one that goes tutoring without being responsible. How r u doing for the first term anyways?

Thanks for the suggestions. Will see how it goes. If I can't manage some stuff, then I can go for it at some stage. For the first term, have no distinct plans or rigid study schedule yet.

dp624

HSC
Babbu said:
do624...rightly said. Wonder if I'll get time to accelerate now. I'm not really struggling in any way. In a way I do accelerate from tiem to time as I have rather wider knowledge developed over the years about most subjects than those who stick to the syllabus. But it is suggestions like "HSC is a game and it is not how much you know but how and what you write that matters" that make me wonder if my approach is wrong or right. So the writing techniques, the verbs, the dot points etc etc...and then the memorising and cramming is what I am not good at. Problem sticking to the syllabus.

Well, you can say I am a perfectionist in a way and would need the very best tutors if at all. And that is where the problem is.
Ah, then you could probably try to find a very high achieving tutor somewhere who tries to feed your perfectionism... lol

oasfree

HSC
N/A
Just wondering. Am I the only one who doesn't go for any tutoring? But keep wondering did I do the right thing by being on my own. Afterall, nobody will call me a genius - if I end up getting 95 UAI while others with tutors' help get more. It's the outcomes that matter.

Now with a few months left, it won't be a good idea to experiment with tutoring as it requires some adjustment I suppose. Shoudl have strated it long tiem ago if at all. So, I keep telling myself...I'll do it all myself and see how it goes. Then again, it might fade my most sincere efforts in comparison to those who have been going to elite tutoring colleges, as Matrix, Intuition and Prior etc. I have heard they give fabulous notes and have through preparation techniques like intensive exams etc. I thought of going to TSFX seminar but didn't go.

Are their others like me?
Are there any 2008 HSC students who have done outstandingly well (99+ UAI or topped some subjects) without any tutoring?
Is tutoring necessary?
I have nephews and nieces going to selective schools. They do seem to need tutoring badly. Without tutoring they just fall behind their class mates who also have intensive tutoring.

I believe tutoring breeds the need for tutoring just like addiction. Tutored kids are given the "best" methods to solve problems to save time by their tutors. It's valuable when you complete and try to get the best score. However the negative impact is that you become passive. You are spoon-fed with what seems right rather trying to work things out by yourself (and waste a lot of time but also learn a lot by doing it). I think a highest performer needs a bit of both. You need to think for yourself and also need a bit of help with knowing the best methods to do certain things so you don't have to reinvent the wheels every time.

I wonder if there are any tutor out there who do more than just giving work and quick methods to the kids to solve a problem in the ways the tutors know. It would be better if tutors can also teach you about philosophy on the subjects. Why do do this or that? What strategy you take in your learning? Why do you have to try to invent your own ways of doing something then compare that with the "best" method known out there? This is essentially the stuff that people learn at Universities brought down to HS or primary school level.

I think it's good that you want to do it yourself. However having private tutors that you could access when you need is also useful. Even if you only need to access to help from a good tutor for x hours each year, you would benefit a lot. You will need to research and find a good tutor and plan for those hours. Good tutors are not easy to find and won't have time for you if you don't plan ahead for the time when you need help. Generally if you keep scoring over 90% at all past papers, you won't need a tutor at all. For some subjects it's good to get a tutor to mark your work (like English, History, Economics, ...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)