Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dr. Du?

HSC

Re: Dr. Du?

most teachers at school HATE the cambridge book, especially mine.
    i can't ask the teacher at school for help because he'd be like, "CALCULUS?! what do you need calculus for?!?!"

>_<
    HSC 2010
    English Adv.English Ext 1.
    Maths.Maths Ext 1.French Continuers.Biology.

psych at usyd is

HSC

um no guys he's not good at all. i quit after a gruelling term.
    all he does is set you a shitload of homework from the cambridge book which we used at school anyway.
    he teaches you stuff weeks before you learn them at school which is supposed to help you.
    i guess it helps some but not others. i could do without his extra homework. most of which was set for me at school anyway lol.
    :wave:

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by wendus View Post
    um no guys he's not good at all. i quit after a gruelling term.
    all he does is set you a shitload of homework from the cambridge book which we used at school anyway.
    he teaches you stuff weeks before you learn them at school which is supposed to help you.
    i guess it helps some but not others. i could do without his extra homework. most of which was set for me at school anyway lol.
    hmm i agree. I went there for a term at the start of yr 12 for 3U and 4U. I didn't really understand what he said like half the time and there were shitloads of hw. Most of the time for 4U hw i had to do it on the day before and just learn it myeslf coz i don't remember what he taught. However, for 3U i had a different teacher and really liked his teaching style and we went so much ahead than school. Even now(half a year after quitting) i'm still ahead of school lol... and just checking his notes gives myself an extra boost in study.

Banned
    HSC

Well how about this,
    Dr. Uncle prescribes you all do put in your own effort and work for the HSC by yourself and not pay someone to help or do stuff for you.

Banned
    HSC

tutoring is a fancy name for cheating

HSC

Anyone got the details of where it is etc?

HSC

ahh, dr du has become famous.. i remember the time when it jus started out with only 5 stud a class..

whats good about it is that u can get parts of ur tuition money back if u excel in your class.. at the end of term, they calculate ur average marks for all ur quizes (which u will have done everyweek).. top 4 or so students gets cash prizes lol.. like $50 for first place, $40 for second.. etc..
    i've probably gotten like $200 back..ahaha
    B Civ. Eng./Comm.(Actl studies) III @ UNSW

Physics =90
    Chemistry =95
    Maths 4u =95
    Maths 3u =97

BOOKS FOR SALE: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...28#post4976128

Tutoring for chemistry, physics, 3/4u maths Visit: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...-95-3u-math-97

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Brizzo View Post
    hmm i agree. I went there for a term at the start of yr 12 for 3U and 4U. I didn't really understand what he said like half the time and there were shitloads of hw. Most of the time for 4U hw i had to do it on the day before and just learn it myeslf coz i don't remember what he taught. However, for 3U i had a different teacher and really liked his teaching style and we went so much ahead than school. Even now(half a year after quitting) i'm still ahead of school lol... and just checking his notes gives myself an extra boost in study.
    ah no, he only gives 4 questions from each of the chapter... 3 chapters a lesson, so its only like 12 questions..

4unit math is jus a bit extra with terry lee questions..
    B Civ. Eng./Comm.(Actl studies) III @ UNSW

Physics =90
    Chemistry =95
    Maths 4u =95
    Maths 3u =97

BOOKS FOR SALE: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...28#post4976128

Tutoring for chemistry, physics, 3/4u maths Visit: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...-95-3u-math-97

HSC

Is Dr Du any good for english??

Yr 12 comin up -----> HORROR ><

ATAR AIM - 99.5 (w/o) procrastination
    ATAR AIM - 60 (w) procrastination
    English Ext.
    English Adv.
    3U Maths
    Modern Histroy
    Japanese Continuers
    Chemistry
    ㅠㅠ 加油~~

Class of 2010 SGHS ^^~~woot

HSC

if you get this dude named john for english,
    you'll be good. :P

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by in-sane View Post
    if you get this dude named john for english,
    you'll be good. :P

HE IS A FAGGOT T.t...
    i went there for a term and I learnt absolutely NOTHING. All he does everyday is to bag out the students in his class. And I remember at the end of the term, I said I was quitting and he went on for 10 minutes about how I will not reach my goals and aspirations just because I wanted to quit his class. FFS
    I hope he dies

HSC

if u can keep up with him and his work and it pretty much equals 90+ for 4u and 3u math lol. (percentage of ppl getting 90+ is like above 90%, its much higher if ur in his A class, like literally 100%) and yea i can't believe 1 question in the 4u paper this yr was like an exact same question he did with the class a few weeks back but except a way easier version. i was laughing my head off when i saw it. its like 5 free marks =). and yea u should see the simulation test they give like 3 weeks b4 the hsc. if u get 60/120 then u will extremely likely unless if u had accident get E4. the crappest mark they've got 4 4u is like 86 or something. so if u think u can keep up then go 4 it (u get a massive booklet every week in the "hsc revision period", which is 1 whole exam 4 hw which he says u should finish within 2 hrs... but seriously it takes 4hrs minimum...)

HSC

John is THE shit man. If you can suck it up and participate in forum discussions and not be a total shitkicker and actually do the homework and research, it's easy to enjoy his lessons and end up becoming his cappucino friend after the HSC.

Also, the ones who stay with him up til the end all pretty much ace 4u English, some go off to Yale and study more English and Philosophy there. Although it's not reccommendable for people to suddenly join like in the middle of Yr 11/12 because you'll have to catch up on heaps.

I've been with him ever since the start of Yr 9.

HSC

So is Dr. Du good for maths? I need a maths tutor for year 11 and im doing ext 1, im cant decide between this or troung. Which is better?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by WEMG View Post
    So is Dr. Du good for maths? I need a maths tutor for year 11 and im doing ext 1, im cant decide between this or troung. Which is better?
    Been to Dr Du's since beginning of Yr 10 up until HSC for 3u and 4u. Went back today and saw some statistics for my grade- 2 of the students who topped 3u and 4u in the state this yr (i can't remember if it was joint tied, so yeh) came from Dr Du, and 2 students received 99.95 atar that went to the tutoring. Many, MANY more with ATARS over 99/90. I liked the statistics

I almost went Truong's when I was tutor hunting but then all the stories and such from my friends who went completely turned me off. Truong seems to know his stuff but Dr Du encourages a lot of higher level thinking of sorts, not spoon-feeding at all and preferring to develop problem solving skills (frustrating at beginning, but definately pays off). Many times he worked proofs into questions he'd give us, making them harder than normal and at the same time improving our exposure to question types. After a couple of terms at Dr Du and when school finally caught up, I realised school exams were a joke, and that question proofs were only touched on in them. So when one did pop up i don't think many ppl were happy X)

His teaching style: One topic at a time, spanning however many weeks necessary in proportion to its size. Even with class 'A' he explains fundamentals, proving every formula you use so that you never sit there and wonder, 'can i DO that o_0?' His teaching of fundamentals incorporates a few basic questions which as aforementioned, utilise the proofs. After this, he speeds up dramatically and its into the more challenging, thought-invoking variety of questions. In a 3u lesson, he gets through quite a lot of examples in one lesson on top of all the other theory. He uses both the board and verbal teaching equally, which I like; no one ever zones out in his classes. It might be a bit fast, but hey, if you have the time to daydream during tuition, then obviously something's wrong. Unlike James An (I went before in yr9), we never waste time doing hw in class, and you also don't have to fear one person asking a hw question and wasting time answering that. That's handled before the lesson unless half the class has complaints or such on the same issue, in which case its explained during.

You also have the weekly exam, which draws its questions from many sources so that by the middle of yr 12 you've basically done every single HSC paper in the form of those weekly exams. He also selects interesting questions from school trials, textbooks, etc. Like i said, exposure to many, many types of questions, and they are always explained clearly by the tutors. (Also, can ask for extra help before and after lessons from the other tutors if there are hw issues). Dr Du generally works at maybe half a yrs pace quicker than school I think, with a revision period filling up the time between end of learning and hsc, so you have time to get your head around the more difficult questions of each topic.

Of course, I went to Dr Du, and so I could be being completely and utterly biased. Some people don't like it because they think it's either expensive/don't like Dr Du's accent/the speed or tact he handles teaching. Accent, you can get used to. The speed is good -- assuming you remember things once you learn them. He does NOT put pressure on us, quite the opposite (although the inspirational pep talk leading up to HSC every lesson started getting a TAD repetitive >.<). That being said, the competition and pressure comes from your classmates haha. You'll be graded into a class though, so you should be with people around your level and you can also work into A class.

Umm, final, little bits of info, both are groups. Dr Du likes getting kids to solve questions on board; and not of the voluntary type. That I didn't like X.X But it all goes to imrpoving results under pressure/exam conditions. The only other thing which I had a slight issue with was that homework questions for the first round of teaching in yr 11 and 12 came straight from cambridge/terry lee, and you need your own copy. If one was dedicated enough then they'd be doing that textbook three times over o_o Once at school, once at Dr Du's, and once for revision/in betwen. But stay up till HSC, and you'll start getting these printed booklets of questions compiled from sources you'll never manage to gather by yourself (or else waste a lot of time/effort doing so).

Anyway, you might like to also consider location because they're quite far from each other, Truongs being in Fairfield and Dr Du in Hurstville. Unless you're willing a lot of travel time/have a very dedicated mum like mine (love her support ) then that might be a factor.

Hope this helps your decision.

P.S. Class structure: 99% students are asian. Classes split into boys and girls so that you 'don't distract each other'. English wasn't split, but did that stop them from separating me and the guy next to me? Noooooo. =.="
    Last edited by lilainjel; 19 Dec 2009 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Forgot about teaching style
    Tell me a tale...

HSC

English @ Dr Du *is* split sex-wise from middle of Yr 10 to 11. They say those are the times when you have HORMONES FOR THE OPPOSITE SEX! Not Yr 9, because you're too young, and not Yr 12, because you have no social life that year, i.e. no hormones for neither sexes. Ha.

HSC

I don't like dr du. He teaches things too quickly plus combine this with his fob accent. i could never remember stuff the next week. I quit a couple of weeks into the 4u course.

BTW has anyone noticed that he draws perfect circles on the whiteboard?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by kevin101 View Post
    Lol HAVE we noticed.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by kevin101 View Post
    I don't like dr du. He teaches things too quickly plus combine this with his fob accent. i could never remember stuff the next week. I quit a couple of weeks into the 4u course.

I've changed classes now, still going to Dr Du but not being taught by THE man. I've Lydia now, she's good as a teacher for people like me... because it takes me a while to understand maths. She explains everything whereas Du sometimes just skips parts because he expects us to understand already/remember.

I just miss his perfect circles though. haha.
    HSC 2010
    English Adv.English Ext 1.
    Maths.Maths Ext 1.French Continuers.Biology.

psych at usyd is

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by kooltrainer View Post
    ahh, dr du has become famous.. i remember the time when it jus started out with only 5 stud a class..

whats good about it is that u can get parts of ur tuition money back if u excel in your class.. at the end of term, they calculate ur average marks for all ur quizes (which u will have done everyweek).. top 4 or so students gets cash prizes lol.. like $50 for first place, $40 for second.. etc..
    i've probably gotten like $200 back..ahaha
    When did he have 5 students? Which year?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by CecilyMare View Post
    English @ Dr Du *is* split sex-wise from middle of Yr 10 to 11. They say those are the times when you have HORMONES FOR THE OPPOSITE SEX! Not Yr 9, because you're too young, and not Yr 12, because you have no social life that year, i.e. no hormones for neither sexes. Ha.
    Lol what just because you don't have a social life doesn't mean you don't have hormones for others. xD

Hating HSC English? You're not the only one.

Bored of Studies Groups - I hate HSC English

Chuck Norris doesn't have to do med interviews to get into Med. He just comes into the interview room and they're like "OMG CHUK NORIS PLS DONT KIL ME u dont hav 2 do da interveiwz kk? thx babe"

Cadet
    HSC

Dr Du is a beast. In the 2009 Hsc, 3 of the top 5 in the state for ext 2 went to dr du and 2 of the top 5 in the state for ext 1 went to dr du. this includes Simon (top of 4U) and Fan jiang (top of 3U).

i have no idea why i just posted this.
    Maths - ext 1 and ext 2

Physics

English adv

chinese continuers and ext

Business studies - 932

HSC

Is he actually a doctor?

Cadet
    HSC

he has one or two phds if that's what u mean by doctor.
    Maths - ext 1 and ext 2

Physics

English adv

chinese continuers and ext

Business studies - 932

HSC
    N/A

From all the posts Dr Du sounded epic for Maths tutoring, but what about english? Are they any good? And how are they charging for Maths ext1 & 2?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information