Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Dr. Du?

HSC
    N/A

Dr. Du?

I was asking around about tutoring for English and Maths Extension 2 and a girl suggested Dr. Du for Maths.

She told me he's really good, especially for Extension 2 but how much does it cost? She told me it's expensive but she doesn't remember how much it costs :S

Also is there any point going tutoring for English? My marks are bad, but will tutoring help?

HSC

Re: Dr. Du?

Quote Originally Posted by ahhliss View Post
    Also is there any point going tutoring for English? My marks are bad, but will tutoring help?
    NO.

Work on your writing problems - mostly getting the teacher to help a bit works.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by lychnobity View Post
    NO.

Work on your writing problems - mostly getting the teacher to help a bit works.
    But do tutoring classes work with related material? My problem is that I'm having trouble analysing a text on my own.

HSC
    N/A

for english, private tutors are the way to go

Maths- yes it can help but you still need to put alot of effort, i heard its hard to keep up at Dr Du

HSC

But do tutoring classes work with related material? My problem is that I'm having trouble analysing a text on my own.
    As in you find your own texts and you go to them to help analyse it? Nahh, apparently they don't do that too often.

If you need help, post here and others/I might be able to do something.

I think it's best that you get a private tutor for English.

HSC

I don't know, probably not though, from what I've heard it's extra school classes. Maybe you could ask a friend/bos?

HSC
    N/A

Alright, I'll take your advice for English (unless something else changes my mind).

Quote Originally Posted by Lightlessice16 View Post

Maths- yes it can help but you still need to put alot of effort, i heard its hard to keep up at Dr Du
    Well don't I have to put in effort into Extension 2 either way? The girl that told me about Dr. Du said she was doing Extension 1 until she stopped understanding him o.0 So does anyone know how much it costs?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Lightlessice16 View Post
    agreed. i've never had a tutor but i got a private tutor for english this year because i came 97th/150 last year, and in the first assessment task, i came 31st. extremely happy with that.

2nd year bachelor of science at usyd. 2o11
    majoring in anatomy and pharmacology.

HSC
    N/A

Who's your friend? :P

For 4U, it costs $75.80 per lesson (you can get discounts if you do more than one subject). Yes, Dr Du is a great tutor. I guess it's still not too late to join; we've only covered graphs, complex numbers, polynomials and conics (current topic).

With English, Dr Du only offers two electives. I know one of them is bladerunner/frankenstein. Not sure what the other one is - you'll have to check it up yourself. I've never done English at Dr Du before but according to my friends, it really helped them improve their English.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by wantingtoknow View Post
    Who's your friend? :P

For 4U, it costs $75.80 per lesson (you can get discounts if you do more than one subject). Yes, Dr Du is a great tutor. I guess it's still not too late to join; we've only covered graphs, complex numbers, polynomials and conics (current topic).

With English, Dr Du only offers two electives. I know one of them is bladerunner/frankenstein. Not sure what the other one is - you'll have to check it up yourself. I've never done English at Dr Du before but according to my friends, it really helped them improve their English.
    Wow, we've only done Complex Numbers and Graphs at school :S Starting on Polynomials. If I start from the middle of Conics, wouldn't I be lost?

And I've only ever heard of Maths at Dr. Du, I had no idea they had English there as well ;o

EDIT: How long are lessons? Do you work through the topics really quickly?

EDIT2: I just found out the place my mum checked out in Yagoona was called Tipps and there ARE people that go there (saw some posts on BoS). I might go there then. Anyone have any information on it? I heard the high class is really hard to get into :S
    Last edited by ahhliss; 14 Feb 2009 at 3:56 PM.

HSC
    N/A

If you do want to go Dr Du, next week would be a good time to start because we're starting a new topic (integration).

The lessons are 3 hours long but most of the time we go overtime (about 15 minutes). What I like about Dr Du is that we get a quiz every week; this can allow us to see how we're doing compared to other students & also is a great practice for exams. They're also strict with homework. You have to hand in your homework otherwise you get decapitated

Yes, they do go through the topics quickly. Dr Du plans on covering the topics 3 times or something..I don't know..but I'm a dumb student and I'm coping so yeah.

HSC
    N/A

Ooh if I start from a new topic, it'll probably be alright. But isn't this short notice if I were to start when you guys start integration?

Doing them 3 times?! O_O So you finish the course, then go back and do it again?

HSC
    N/A

Ooh if I start from a new topic, it'll probably be alright. But isn't this short notice if I were to start when you guys start integration?

Doing them 3 times?! O_O So you finish the course, then go back and do it again?
    Not sure, there's an entry test or whatever which you will have to sit.
    & yes, lol. I don't mind though - good practice =] He said the work would be more difficult when he repeats the course again.

@ superelizabeth; I KNOW, RIGHT! I got so scared of him; quitted a few weeks after I started. He's a good tutor though..learnt heaps in those few weeks.

HSC
    N/A

I was asking around about tutoring for English and Maths Extension 2 and a girl suggested Dr. Du for Maths.

She told me he's really good, especially for Extension 2 but how much does it cost? She told me it's expensive but she doesn't remember how much it costs :S

I don't have any idea who Dr. Du is. But please be careful if you meet him. The name "Du" means "f**k" in his language if pronounced in English phonetic. Ask him how his name should be pronounced.

HSC
    N/A

Lol, it's diu, not du >_>;
    & if you're suggesting he's going to rape you or something..he can't really. there are over 10 other students in the classroom and also other classes running.

HSC

I hear he's extremely good, a lot of my friends from school go to him for MX2.
    Commerce (Finance) / Science (Advanced Mathematics) (Quantitative Risk) @ UNSW

Cadet
    HSC

i went to dr du and got band 6 for both 3u and 4u maths. =] i am currently working there as a homework marker.. lol

so yes he is really good, although he speaks with a chinese accent which can be really funny at times.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by serenetwilight View Post
    i went to dr du and got band 6 for both 3u and 4u maths. =] i am currently working there as a homework marker.. lol
    Do you really mark or you just tick by looking at an answer sheet. My child's teacher at school used to get her son in year 7 to mark homework for the kids at year 2-3. I am not impressed by this because some of the kids at year 2-3 are better than her son at year 7. My kid sometimes corrected her teachers on silly math mistakes at that time. Another teacher told me that he believed it's wrong for teachers to stop marking homework. Many teachers only pass an answer sheet around and get students or their kids to tick the homework from their students.

HSC

& if you're suggesting he's going to rape you or something..he can't really. there are over 10 other students in the classroom and also other classes running.
    lol

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by oasfree View Post
    Do you really mark or you just tick by looking at an answer sheet. My child's teacher at school used to get her son in year 7 to mark homework for the kids at year 2-3. I am not impressed by this because some of the kids at year 2-3 are better than her son at year 7. My kid sometimes corrected her teachers on silly math mistakes at that time. Another teacher told me that he believed it's wrong for teachers to stop marking homework. Many teachers only pass an answer sheet around and get students or their kids to tick the homework from their students.
    wow... u hav a child... o.0

anyway it depends on what u mean by marking. for me, i mostly tick off the answer sheet. i know what ur trying 2 say but it is just not possible to write a comment for every single incorrect answer. though if someone comes to me after classes, i am always able to explain what he/she did wrong in her hw. i think 1 of the reasons to y coaching centres hire their graduates instead of actual teachers is cos that we r more familiar with our stuff than they are because we just did our hsc =]

HSC

tipps ftw.

A2 class ftw.

HAHS 09' ftw.

fishies ftw.

HSC

Well he could, if the girl was really hot and the whole class was full of boys. I'm not saying he does it - but it could happen.

Quote Originally Posted by q3thefish View Post
    tipps ftw.

A2 class ftw.

HAHS 09' ftw.

fishies ftw.
    I have to disagree.

Ngo and Sons Coaching Academy ftw.
    Commerce/Law - UNSW14'
    HSCo9 - 4 Unit Maths | English (Adv) | Physics | Business Studies | Studies of Religion I

Last Minute HSC Tutoring + Year 11/12 Tutoring avaliablehttp://community.boredofstudies.org/...-tutoring.html

HSC

Dr. Du is epic for Maths. You may not understand what he's saying half the time, but the extent to which he pushes you is more than enough to compensate. If you lack the capacity to study/do Maths by yourself at home or even at school, going to Dr. Du will fill in that gap for you.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by MetroMattums View Post
    Dr. Du is epic for Maths. You may not understand what he's saying half the time, but the extent to which he pushes you is more than enough to compensate. If you lack the capacity to study/do Maths by yourself at home or even at school, going to Dr. Du will fill in that gap for you.
    I die there everyweek. DrDu is pretty nice as a person i've come to realise. but he teaches so damn fast! i hate the cambridge book. right now i'm giving up my school maths just so i can do HIS hwk. i swear i'm going to forget what he's taught by the time we reach the topic at school.
    T__T
    HSC 2010
    English Adv.English Ext 1.
    Maths.Maths Ext 1.French Continuers.Biology.

psych at usyd is

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by yy-d View Post
    I die there everyweek. DrDu is pretty nice as a person i've come to realise. but he teaches so damn fast! i hate the cambridge book. right now i'm giving up my school maths just so i can do HIS hwk. i swear i'm going to forget what he's taught by the time we reach the topic at school.
    T__T
    thats exactly what i did lol. i was lucky enough to have a maths teacher at school who let me do dr du work during his classes. as a result i never listened to him in class or did his hw, but i ended up doing better than the vast majority of my grade =]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information