Matrix? (1 Viewer)

bubblesss

HSC
matrix

hey guys,
do any of you go to matrix for tutoring.i'm deciding to go for physics. can anyone give me advice? and does anyone know how much they charge / hr?????????

bubblesss

HSC
matrix

hey guys,

have has anyone ever been to matrix tutoring before? i was just planning to go for physics next year. any advice from people goin there? also could sum1 tell me how much they charge/ hr? i heard its really expensive!!!!!!!!

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Re: matrix

bubblesss said:
hey guys,

have has anyone ever been to matrix tutoring before? i was just planning to go for physics next year. any advice from people goin there? also could sum1 tell me how much they charge/ hr? i heard its really expensive!!!!!!!!
I went there last year for two terms. I will have to say that Matrix is a great tutoring college despite high price they may charge. But in terms of hourly rate, it's like $30 an hour so it's not that expensive. You get all the theory and homework booklets so it's quite worth the money.

I was in the accelerated maths class last year (I kicked ass in that class). My teacher was Mrs. Rockett (not sure about spelling sorry) and from my point of view, teachers are quite excellent. They are all experienced and know their stuff and most actually wrote the booklets that you use so they really know their stuff.

Anyway, back to physics: only physics teacher I know is DJ Kim. DJ is apparently the best guy out there who teachers physics in Matrix. I heard him outside the class talking about Dragon Ball Z though...

But I am sure other teachers are excellent in terms of uni degree, experience and personality. From the top of my head, I think the weekly price was like $90 because you attend class for 3 hours. In that 3 hours, you get about 10 minutes of break where you just go out and do random shit.

In the class, you do some little exams every time you go and do big exams after you finish the certain topic. You need to do your homeworks and you get tonnes. By the way, exams are pretty hard sometimes.

So in general, I will rate Matrix 9/10. 1/10 is actually due to the progress of the topic. I would have wished it to be faster...

Aplus

HSC
N/A

lyounamu said:
Anyway, back to physics: only physics teacher I know is DJ Kim. DJ is apparently the best guy out there who teachers physics in Matrix. I heard him outside the class talking about Dragon Ball Z though...
Yeah, he's always going on about how if we can harness the power and laws of Physics, we can implement amazing things for our own benefit.

Zephyrio

HSC

I really believe that Matrix is extremely expensive, and so it's obviously limited to those who can actually pay around $30 an hour. In addition to this, there seems to be a compulsion for those who attend, to also attend their holiday course which costs heaps. It's clear that if you do not go to the holiday course, you'll fall behind.

The booklets are alright, but there's nothing in them you wouldn't find in an ordinary textbook. If you want hard maths questions, go to Cambridge/Fitzpatrick... similarly, if you want material on the chemical earth, just go to Conquering Chemistry.

When I went, I found myself travelling ridiculously long hours to actually get to Strathfield. And then back. It's both physically and mentally exhausting, especially in the senior grades.

Namu, why'd you quit?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

Zephyrio said:
I really believe that Matrix is extremely expensive, and so it's obviously limited to those who can actually pay around $30 an hour. In addition to this, there seems to be a compulsion for those who attend, to also attend their holiday course which costs heaps. It's clear that if you do not go to the holiday course, you'll fall behind.

The booklets are alright, but there's nothing in them you wouldn't find in an ordinary textbook. If you want hard maths questions, go to Cambridge/Fitzpatrick... similarly, if you want material on the chemical earth, just go to Conquering Chemistry.

When I went, I found myself travelling ridiculously long hours to actually get to Strathfield. And then back. It's both physically and mentally exhausting, especially in the senior grades.

Namu, why'd you quit?
When I was in the acceleration class, I was at the stage when I was re-learning the same topic over and over again and it was frustrating to learn the easy contents over again when I knew basically about everything. Yes, there were some challenging topics but I aced the others. There was really no need to wait for a year to get into the topic that I really wanted to learn.

When I wanted to move up to Year 12 class, they were too far-ahead and they already skipped the topics that I needed to learn. So I was basically stuck between remaining in the class and moving up to the class where all the students have almost finished all the year 12 topics by then.

And another reason was the distance. I went to school in chatswood and if I wanted to come to Matrix from there, it took me almost an hour and I was late for the class. And I ended up coming home at about 8-9 pm. So...yeah

I don't regret dropping out of the college because advanteges outweigh the disadvantages, but the tutoring was quite great, to be honest.

bubblesss

HSC

wow $90 is alot for a week!!!!!!!!!1 i don't think i want to spend that much for only one subject!!!! anyone know of any other tutoring colleges??? i heard Tipps in Yagoona is gr8. any opinions????????? and they only charge $20 / hr.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

bubblesss said:
wow $90 is alot for a week!!!!!!!!!1 i don't think i want to spend that much for only one subject!!!! anyone know of any other tutoring colleges??? i heard Tipps in Yagoona is gr8. any opinions????????? and they only charge $20 / hr.
Why not try to get 1-1 tutoring from this website?

The cost is about $20 to $30. And the people teaching them would be over 99. (if not high 90s)

bubblesss

HSC

lyounamu said:
Why not try to get 1-1 tutoring from this website?

The cost is about $20 to $30. And the people teaching them would be over 99. (if not high 90s)
but i thougt tipps was a great place for physics. but yeh anyway isn't there any other place or person who teach physics. (preferably group tutoring because it motivates me better) as in a college like prior, preuni, james an??????? ive only been to preuni and i know its shit.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC

Uhh... I go Matrix and yeah, Chemistry and Physics there are good - only because it's hard to find decent science tutors (from what I've experienced).

There are tons of tutors for Maths, so it's much easier to find a good tutor without having to pay the same rates as Matrix. Like Namu said, sometimes the Maths can progress abit slow. Matrix does it in lots of detail, but yeah, it gets to the point where its not worth your time anymore really - much more beneficial to just learn another topic.

smushieex

HSC

I'm not exactly sure how much they charge, but from what I've heard it can get pretty expensive.

Umm, tutoring there is apparently good (maths & sciences) but shit in english.

I've heard numerous times that they have really smart students there (mostly selective, apparently?), the others who aren't as smart .. don't really get much help? But then again, they're only rumours.

What other coaching colleges were you thinking of?

bubblesss

HSC

smushieex said:
I'm not exactly sure how much they charge, but from what I've heard it can get pretty expensive.

I've heard numerous times that they have really smart students there (mostly selective, apparently?), the others who aren't as smart .. don't really get much help? But then again, they're only rumours.

well i was thinking of northshore or tipps??????

rolror88

HSC
N/A

smushieex said:

I remember reading that Matrix have like half their students coming from either selective or top 30 schools.. But that doesn't really mean anything.

I think in year 12 its $1000 a term, a subject. I was speaking to a friend who goes there for both chemistry and physics; he was bottoming both those subjects in year 11, and when he went there, his rank now sits in the top 30. He says that Matrix is really good, but it depends on the teacher-If you are thinking of going, try and get into a class with either DJ or Derek. I've had them both, and I learn a heap more then the other "physics" teacher I've got.

smushieex

HSC

bubblesss said:
I have two friends who go to Tipps.
They said it's really good. One of them is actually coming 3rd in maths.

joannnee*

HSC

The quality of teaching at Matrix + their materials are worth the amount of money you pay.....

shaon0

HSC

bubblesss said:
Where do you live? You could go to Talent 100 its ~$20 an hour or you could go to a coaching college close to your house.

jeremychung

HSC
N/A

I didn't think matrix was that great.

For tutoring depends on what subjects.

eriito

Elite Member
HSC

JosephGau said:
I just wanted to say that i found Elite HSC Preparation Centre really really helpful. I initially found them at tutorfinder.

I originally had John as a tutor in year 10 and i immediately saw results. I had never got above 75% in an exam, however, when John started tutoring me six weeks before my yearly exam, i saw dramatic results. John was consistent and extremely effective with genuinely letting me understand the concept of mathematics. As i received the results of my yearly exam i couldn't have been happier. I had not only topped my class but also the class above me. I had received a result of 92% and a band 6 in the SC. As a result of this mark i was given the opportunity to do Extension Mathematics. I was ranked 3rd out of 36 boys at St. Aloysius' College, a top private school in Sydney. So, i highly recommend Elite HSC Tutoring to all students. Their professionalism and enthusiasm was priceless, and, hence, i must thank them for everything!

The website is www.elitehsc.com.au. :)
you sound like a fag

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

jooL said:
so d'u go to another tutoring place or have a private tutor now?
and do they really go slow even in the acceleration course??
well no. I don't get any tutoring now. I study myself because I don't get much out of tutoring - I don't do any work given by tutors...

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A

jooL said:
u must be really smart!!!:D
well i'm thinking of going there i'll try for a term:)
btw how slow d'u mean they go in the acceleration course for 4u??
Sorry. I didn't answer your last question.

Yeah, I don't think that they are slow in general. But they were really slow for me because I wanted to move and move and move. We go through one booklet in a class so that's quite fast. So I guess that we might go through 1/5 of the topic (e.g. complex or something like that) in a day. It can be little slower or faster. But you will generally find that acceleration class is quite smart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)