Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Truongs Maths Tutoring, any comments?

HSC

Re: Truong's tutoring, any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by oasfree View Post
    The fee looks reasonable but the large class is what expected as he makes money on large numbers rather than high price. The drawback of large class is that you only get canned lessons and probably be asked to push formulas rather than being creative. You also get less chance to explore other methods. You get the single "best" view of whoever the teacher you have. His service fits the budget. That's why he seems so successful.
    Well, like iSplicer and the-derivative said, Truong's methods work and is the fastest way of getting to the solution; so why would you need to be creative and think of another method when there's one being presented right in front of you? And this "best" view of the teacher can be said to be proven to work - That's why there are so many students in the class. He still allows questions to be asked in class, it's not like his a dictator or something.
    " Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough."

2009 HSC Subjects:
    Mathematics Extension I | Mathematics Extension II | English (Advanced) | Legal Studies | Economics | Physics | Studies Of Religion I

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by iSplicer View Post
    Completely agree. No need to be creative, save that for English and History. Truong is a brilliant person, he knows what the best method is, so I have learnt to put my ego aside and learn what he says. He encourages us to ask questions a lot, contrary to popular belief.
    Wait until you get to University to taste what's like not to use your own effort to find alternative methods. What Truong offers is what drilling sergeants do. That trains you to become fighters with a limited set of weapons. However I agree that it's value for money. He knows how to do it just by looking at his success. Some kids (like my niece) got the benefit then moved on to one-on-one to improve further.

HSC
    N/A

i heard he is really strict, but it is best to go there and check it.
    Good Luck:wave: :burn:
    :mad1:
    :jaw:

HSC

I'm an ex-student of Truong's. Honestly, he's the best tutor I've ever had. It's a lot of hard work, and your brain will probably melt after one of his lessons (at the beginning anyway) but you learn a lot and you'll definitely improve in school if you do the work. He's also not so scary outside of tutoring. Even in his classes, he tells a lot of jokes/ancedotes which sometimes are funny and other times just plain silly especially coming from Truong himself.

In terms of class sizes, they are big but he gets to know everyone on a personal level. He's not like a teacher at school who doesn't remember your name or anything, he knows you and what you're capable of. Plus, the large class size provides shelter in case you don't know the answers.

I'm friends with ex-students whom teach at the tutoring centre as well. They're really good and extremely intelligent people. I don't know anything specific about their teaching styles but it's definitely easier than Truong teaching you himself.

If you're planning to attend his tutoring centre, you should also take up him english tutoring. The tutors are often the best english teachers that I know of (e.g. Mr. Tishler from Macq Fields whom taught me, Ms. Diab from Sefton and also another teacher from James Ruse whose name I've forgotten.)
    Last edited by jayadore; 12 Mar 2010 at 3:30 AM.

HSC

I am an ex student of Truong's and I've been with him for the whole of my life in high school.

I would like to clear a couple of things up.

It's actually called Ngo's and Sons, not Truong's tutoring

Sure he might be making a lot of money, but he isn't money hungry and only does tutoring in order to help the students. Proof?
    1. He HAS a primary job that makes him well off already
    2. Have you ever seen an advertisement for his tutoring centre? I'm sure you haven't because he DOES NOT advertise, but is famous for his student's success from his dedication in teaching
    3. No one has ever been expelled because they were unable to pay. He allows numerous of students to attend their lessons for free because they are financially disadvantaged. e.g. there is a current year 11 student who's family is financially disadvantaged. Truong gave him a job in order to help his family out (and is being paid a lot more than the minimum pay for his age) and his lessons are all for free.

To Oasfree,
    1. He hires ex-students as teachers to help him out, not for reputation and the like (but usually they're in the top tier) as it's humanly impossible in order to teach numerous amounts of classes per day, every week
    2. About your niece, I'm sure you're educated enough to understand that some tutors may not suit a student's needs, whether that be the teaching methods, learning environment etc. Furthermore it could be the way she was studying just isn't efficient in order to reach a certain level or the environment in which she did the examination.
    3. For parking violations, I've heard there were cases where parents would refuse to remove from a drive way until their son/daughter were picked up which violates the law. There are multiple carparks close by and such an issue would be the parents faults
    4. He is strict on matters such as manners and doing homework, because it reflects your respect to him as a teacher and dedication as a student. He just doesn't teach maths, he teaches you how to become a better person, by respecting others and able to apply yourself to your education. He is definitely not dictative or authorative and accepts any student as long as they are willing to study (no matter what race or gender)
    5. The way he teaches, isn't just about memorising formulas. He teaches you concepts and theories through ways of applying formulas, different ways of thinking. The way he structures his booklets is in order to show different types of questions and different ways they can be tackled. If it were just about memorising formulas, then how do you expect anyone to score highly in any maths exam? (especially 4u) I'm sure what you're saying about uni is correct where I've also heard is a lot of self application to your learning, but from there on, it's a student's own responsibility for their learning isn't it? Also, the way you assert yourself in making him seem like a "drilling seargent" implies you've attended his classes and thoroughly know his teaching methods? If so please explain how he isn't open to alternative methods

To iSplicer
    1. As a student, you know he isn't sexist, he just likes to joke around a lot. Everyone is entitled to that right?

I believe a student is responsible for their own learning, a tutor can only do so much.

Also, before I started, I received a 60% in my algebra test, but after going to his tutor centre, I was able to maintain a 95+% average in all exams, even throughout my hsc. I really owe him a lot for helping me improve.

P.S. David you know he doesn't treat everyone else like dirt, he only explodes at students who do something wrong and would normally receive punishment

P.S.S. Oh by the way, about the entrance exam, he has it in order to filter out the students who are willing to study with to those who aren't. (not the good and the bad students) How? Well it's not just the paper that you're assessed on, and it's not just all maths questions in the paper either...
    Last edited by nelses; 7 Feb 2009 at 9:45 PM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by nelses View Post
    I am an ex student of Truong's and I've been with him for the whole of my life in high school.

I would like to clear a couple of things up.

It's actually called Ngo's and Sons, not Truong's tutoring

Sure he might be making a lot of money, but he isn't money hungry and only does tutoring in order to help the students. Proof?
    1. He HAS a primary job that makes him well off already
    2. Have you ever seen an advertisement for his tutoring centre? I'm sure you haven't because he DOES NOT advertise, but is famous for his student's success from his dedication in teaching
    3. No one has ever been expelled because they were unable to pay. He allows numerous of students to attend their lessons for free because they are financially disadvantaged. e.g. there is a current year 11 student who's family is financially disadvantaged. Truong gave him a job in order to help his family out (and is being paid a lot more than the minimum pay for his age) and his lessons are all for free.

To Oasfree,
    1. He hires ex-students as teachers to help him out, not for reputation and the like (but usually they're in the top tier) as it's humanly impossible in order to teach numerous amounts of classes per day, every week
    2. About your niece, I'm sure you're educated enough to understand that some tutors may not suit a student's needs, whether that be the teaching methods, learning environment etc. Furthermore it could be the way she was studying just isn't efficient in order to reach a certain level or the environment in which she did the examination.
    3. For parking violations, I've heard there were cases where parents would refuse to remove from a drive way until their son/daughter were picked up which violates the law. There are multiple carparks close by and such an issue would be the parents faults
    4. He is strict on matters such as manners and doing homework, because it reflects your respect to him as a teacher and dedication as a student. He just doesn't teach maths, he teaches you how to become a better person, by respecting others and able to apply yourself to your education. He is definitely not dictative or authorative and accepts any student as long as they are willing to study (no matter what race or gender)
    5. The way he teaches, isn't just about memorising formulas. He teaches you concepts and theories through ways of applying formulas, different ways of thinking. The way he structures his booklets is in order to show different types of questions and different ways they can be tackled. If it were just about memorising formulas, then how do you expect anyone to score highly in any maths exam? (especially 4u) I'm sure what you're saying about uni is correct where I've also heard is a lot of self application to your learning, but from there on, it's a student's own responsibility for their learning isn't it? Also, the way you assert yourself in making him seem like a "drilling seargent" implies you've attended his classes and thoroughly know his teaching methods? If so please explain how he isn't open to alternative methods

To iSplicer
    1. As a student, you know he isn't sexist, he just likes to joke around a lot. Everyone is entitled to that right?

I believe a student is responsible for their own learning, a tutor can only do so much.

Also, before I started, I received a 60% in my algebra test, but after going to his tutor centre, I was able to maintain a 95+% average in all exams, even throughout my hsc. I really owe him a lot for helping me improve.

P.S. David you know he doesn't treat everyone else like dirt, he only explodes at students who do something wrong and would normally receive punishment

P.S.S. Oh by the way, about the entrance exam, he has it in order to filter out the students who are willing to study with to those who aren't. (not the good and the bad students) How? Well it's not just the paper that you're assessed on, and it's not just all maths questions in the paper either...
    I agree completely with this post.
    The important thing is whether his students are happy with his services - and the large majority of students would say yes - I know I'm very happy with Truong's teaching. In my opinion - everybody has a different way of learning - some methods may work for you, some might not. Just because a method doesn't work for you - or if you do not agree with a method - doesn't mean it is bad or ineffective.

Also with the comment with iSplicer - most of us know that he's just joking around. Most of his favourite students (in my classes especially) are girls so he's definately not sexist.
    Commerce/Law - UNSW14'
    HSCo9 - 4 Unit Maths | English (Adv) | Physics | Business Studies | Studies of Religion I

Last Minute HSC Tutoring + Year 11/12 Tutoring avaliablehttp://community.boredofstudies.org/...-tutoring.html

HSC

Wait until you get to University to taste what's like not to use your own effort to find alternative methods. What Truong offers is what drilling sergeants do. That trains you to become fighters with a limited set of weapons. However I agree that it's value for money. He knows how to do it just by looking at his success. Some kids (like my niece) got the benefit then moved on to one-on-one to improve further.

Like you said, creativity is needed when you attend university. His aim is to help you get into university. There's a difference there.

The one-on-one tutoring for your cousin is probably more successful for her since she gets more attention from the tutor. Therefore, they are able to see and work on their weaknesses. You can't compare one on one tutoring with sir's huge classes. As commented earlier, it's up to the student themself to study and memorise formulas when at home. Sir knows that not everyone has the ability to memorise immediately, that's why you revise over the work when at home and constantly practice in order not to forget.

I've seen a lot of successful students attending his classes and even if you don't do we in your academics, then at least your manners would improve.
    He truly has my respect and admiration as an ex-tutor and person.

HSC

Oasfree you seem to have some sort of personal vendetta against him? (Or tutors overall?)

I strongly disagree with almost everything you have said about him - this is a man that has helped so many people so much it's unbelievable - you're missing out on so much and I can't see what you're basing your statements on, since your niece's single experience is very different to your own non-existent one.

I can say this because I feel I owe so much to him. I actually was on his waiting list for almost a year, and several months after I was finally accepted something bad happened in my family and our financial situation wasn't exactly fantastic. I felt really awful about it, but asked him if it was okay if my payments were late - HE SAID IT WAS MORE THAN OK, AND LET BOTH ME AND MY BROTHER ATTEND FOR FREE. Yes, his lessons are cheap, yes, he's got a lot of other students, but he was so understanding and that money we saved meant so much! I only found out today solid proof that there are other people he's aided - so how many other people has he silently assisted and nobody knows, because they think he's some rich racist sexist guy?

(Speaking of money, I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet but he actually is a practising doctor. He doesn't really need the money from teaching...I would've thought that's pretty obvious...and hahaha, has anyone noticed that he drives a very distinctive bomb? I thought he drove a merc like other rich ppl!)

And he's a fantastic teacher! I went to James Ruse, you'd think I'd have great teachers, but I was really struggling in maths. But the following year, with Truong, I made it into the top class, and pretty much kept up that standard. I was probably that middle ranging kid that went to tutoring to become that top kid, and benefited in both brackets. Tutoring is supposed to cover up the gaps in school? In my senior years my maths teacher was the worst EVER (I still hate him. oh. so. bitterly.) and Truong > school definitely. It was heaps fun (he's HILARIOUS), and I learnt a lot. I kicked ass in my HSC, I'm in UNSW Med now, and doing very well thank you very much. I don't think tutoring has adversely affected my ability to adapt to uni at all (although it might vary depending on your ex-tutor/learning style).

Hmm what else about my time at Truong's? Oh yeah, verbal abuse!! I can totally understand why a lot of people feel put down by it (I cried once ) but I rallied up instead of wallowing in my own self-pity and making up excuses for myself I just worked harder until I got the results we both wanted. I can understand his scariness too - I did one-on-one tutoring myself (hands up who didn't after HSC!), and get reaaallllyyyy aggravated when my kids don't do their hw or do bad in my tests because I feel responsible for them and care for them but get. so. annoyed. when they don't try enough. He's strict, and acts tough, but he really isn't and my friend who's on that ex-student staff says they all love him (for that wage that makes him a millionaire? of course, it can't be anything else can it?)

I'm sorry, I know this is a long post, but I'm really very passionate about this. Oasfree, kudos to your niece for her improved marks - and speaking with the experience of an ex-one-on-one tutor who also knows other tutors, if you start off with one kid and you're very good, other kids/parents are going to notice and you're going to end up with more. Voila, a class or two and maybe a tutoring centre that has to keep a waiting list. And maybe a few kids who score 100.

P.S. For those who understand: THE TALK.
    (enough said)

HSC

To begin, please don't ridicule me for choosing the username "perfect^^"... t'was a little whim of mine at 3am when i created the account few years ago.

As other people have offered comments, I too, shall relate from experience.

I think an important part of judging a tutor/tutoring place is to see what is offered.
    - Facilities - All the furniture was new, from memory, and the facilities are definitely very "clean and professional" (-relating to the point made earlier about it not being suited to non-asian tastes).
    - Tutor - Very thorough, clear, and helpful because he is always encouraging of and responsive to questions and "challenges"/alternate methods. So I'm not sure what people mean by stifling creativity. I've always had time to reflect upon my initial approaches to each question, before being offered a good solution method.

In terms of personal philosophy, he stands to have strong values...compassionate in caring and silently helping so many people, and to want his students to do well, of course he has to be strict and for them to be well mannered, respectful, loyal and essentially good hearted. I thank him for influencing me, because to consciously culture these attributes makes you a better child, sibling, friend, student, etc, letting you live a happier life.

Yes, there will always be criticisms about all tutors and tutoring places. In my own experience, I have nothing to complain about. Rather, I am very thankful and grateful for everything he's done for me, not only academically.

As others have said, there is no such thing as a tutoring place that caters for everyone. If you need extra time to process your material and think, then perhaps a personal tutor will be more beneficial.
    The parking violations thing, what other solution is there for stopping parents from doing that and harbouring complaints?
    Enjoying racist/sexist jokes may be offensive to some people, but has anyone actually seen him treat someone differently due to their status?

~

HSC

Re: Fairfield Troung's recommendation - English

Hey there =)
    My little sister is attending her saturday class for English and she's always looking forward to the lessons. She says that her classes are very entertaining and educational at the same time.

However, she's NOT accepting any students in year 12 this year as they havealready learnt a fair bit ahead of school. She has established the essential l knowledge for english in year 11, therefore it's difficult to teach new students. Well, that's what my younger sister told me.

I agree with mandyxpoo. BOW ! Even if you're not the brightest, he'd like you if you had manners.
    Last edited by Without Wings; 20 Apr 2009 at 1:37 PM.

HSC
    N/A

For those of you who don't know Truong, I don't think you're really in any position to judge what sorta character he is, based on what you 'heard' from your 'friends'.

My 99 in 2U, I'd say, was purely due to Truong's tutoring.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Trebla View Post
    My sister goes there for Maths. I find that while it is probably helpful for an average student, those at the higher end would probably not benefit as much. One thing I don't like about the place is that everyone (even the tutors themselves) must do the question his way and not their own way (most high end students tend to develop their own ways of solving things). I taught my sister some alternative methods to some questions which are acceptable at school but not so much at the tutor, despite often being the quicker method. So basically, if the school teaches one method and the tutor teaches it with another method it becomes quite annoying to switch back and forth lol. However, that being said, some tutors don't really give a crap if you try an alternative method despite what he says lol
    The higher end students do benefit - I know last year he had about 3 students with 100 and about 20 students who got UAIs of 99.XX So his students are some of the best in the state, and his average must be quite good. Other average students like me got above average because of him too.

And my sister's class has several smart people - they're encouraged to give their opinions too and if there really is a much better method, he says it's okay.

HSC

Smile Re: Fairfield Troung's recommendation - English

Her teaching styles are directly from the rubric which is good, and she also focuses on the important stuff which are not really covered a lot at school but still important since its already 1/4 of the english paper eg. creative writing. Problem is that she has a lot of student not just at fairfield so if you need to contact her during the week for help or advice it might take a long time or just hard to reach her
    Last edited by Ryuu-jin-jakka; 13 Feb 2009 at 8:27 PM.

HSC

so you do an entrance test and if you don't do too well in it, you won't exactly get accepted?

Adv. English
    Mathematics
    Economics
    Chemistry
    Biology
    Studies of Religion 1

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by smushieex View Post
    so you do an entrance test and if you don't do too well in it, you won't exactly get accepted?
    Well, sir doesn't base it purely on the marks that you get in the entrance exams. He bases his decision on the manners, character and the respect that that particular student has. As long as he sees that you'll try hard and aren't one of those "I don't give a crap" students, although when it comes to tough decisions, say like, 2 spots for 40 kids, he'll have to take into consideration your marks.
    " Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough."

2009 HSC Subjects:
    Mathematics Extension I | Mathematics Extension II | English (Advanced) | Legal Studies | Economics | Physics | Studies Of Religion I

HSC

It's not just Ms Diab that's really good - he tries to get the best teachers he can to work there - Mayers is also soooo nice and funny, although I think she teaches the junior classes? So while Diab is fantastic for HSC (teaching by rubric suits it really well, considering how "formulated" HSC english is now), Mayers (she's the James Ruse one) is more holistic in teaching English and she makes it fun too. But you know, English is subjective so experiences depend on the individuals.

About bowing:
    It's mostly to the maths department because the English staff aren't Vietnamese and opt not to have the bowing, but he stresses the bowing on his Vietnamese students because it's part of their culture. Students from other cultures aren't expected to extend the bowing to their uncles and other relatives though, so he is aware of different cultures. But he does have a point, Asian families do judge other families by the behaviour of their kids and how they are brought up.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by DucKy:: View Post

About bowing:
    It's mostly to the maths department because the English staff aren't Vietnamese and opt not to have the bowing, but he stresses the bowing on his Vietnamese students because it's part of their culture. Students from other cultures aren't expected to extend the bowing to their uncles and other relatives though, so he is aware of different cultures. But he does have a point, Asian families do judge other families by the behaviour of their kids and how they are brought up.
    I feel uncomfortable about kids bowing at me because their parents tell them so. I think I would be much more comfortable if they say just say "Hello Uncle". The old mark of respect is demeaning in a sense when kids are forced to bow to some one older who is a nasty just because the parents want to show that their kids have manners. Once the bowing is automatic it has no meaning. I see nasty kids bow to adults because they were told to do that. They have absolutely no desire to do so. When a teacher asks kids to bow, there is really no friendship. It instantly set up a formal master-student relationship. In the old time, this is useful for teaching but I think there is a limitation in this. Kids are expected to stay silent, listen to the teachers or else ... It takes away to conversational and creative aspect of learning. It's more about rote learning. I suppose in this context of tutoring, it's essentially rote learning anyway. I have never seen Truong teaching, so I cannot say for sure.

I like teachers who teach and make students laugh a lot. They learn better this way. When I was young I had a teacher who scared the kids but he had one virtue. He always challenged the kids to prove that he was wrong. Some of us had a crack at it (without suffering any retaliation) but mostly failed to prove that he was wrong.

I think teaching a large class is not easy. It's rare to have a teacher who can face a large class, run it in a relax manner with lots of jokes and still manage good learning. So when a teacher gives good lessons, I consider it better than a pass. Truong knows the Viet culture well (parents expect kids to show respect even though this is getting harder each day). That's why he is very successful within the Viet community.

HSC

I like teachers who teach and make students laugh a lot. They learn better this way.

. . .

I think teaching a large class is not easy. It's rare to have a teacher who can face a large class, run it in a relax manner with lots of jokes and still manage good learning. So when a teacher gives good lessons, I consider it better than a pass. Truong knows the Viet culture well (parents expect kids to show respect even though this is getting harder each day). That's why he is very successful within the Viet community.
    That's exactly sir!!!!! Fun, effective teaching! But the key thing most people miss about his tutoring is his emphasis on the traditional ways.

I understand what you mean about being uncomfortable with bowing, especially since it is such an old custom and appears an anachronism in a modern, western context, and while this context has many good values, it's also contributed somewhat to the erosion of traditional cultures. So yes, that's partially why he's so successful within the Vietnamese community - but that's also extended somewhat to the Chinese community too.

There are many ways of showing respect, and while it's a contradiction when a normally nasty kid bows, I don't think it's meaningless. Primarily, it shows that the parents themselves still hold to traditional values and are doing their best to bring up their child in line with them, and seeing how difficult that is now, I think that's quite admirable and reflects positively on the family. And well, if the kid's normally nasty, at least conceding to bow is a start!

Of course, it doesn't mean that kids who don't bow are automatically bad (or their families!). There's other ways of being good people, and what Truong taught me beyond math (this will always resonate) is the concept of integrity, and remembering where I came from, who helped me along the way, and who I owe. In return, you respect them (especially your parents), and do your best to repay them (just so happens the best way is to make them proud of you, and for most that's through studying)

dp, in my opinion (and apparently others as well) what you have been saying recently goes against much of that, and your defence doesn't change my disappointment in you.

p.s. i was one of those kids who cried. But like I said, it didn't stop me from getting back up and trying again (I don't think anybody has an excuse not to get up again). jayadore has a point in that yelling with the aim of motivating is a cultural thing, and yes, it's another anachronism - but it's done with good intentions and quite effective (I'm proof!)

Intelligence is not just about being "book-smart." Jayadore you're smarter than you give yourself credit for because you actually understand what Truong stands for.
    Last edited by DucKy::; 24 Feb 2009 at 4:41 PM. Reason: i type too slow..:( someone replied before i did!

HSC

Call him Sir or Dr Ngo at least!

And yes, look at his arm! When I was in year 12 everyone knew that he was having pain in his arm but he told us that he thought we were very bad in maths and kept teaching us. My sister said he had to go for an operation because his arm kept getting worse. I thank sir so much for his dedication. Two of my sister's friends currently in year 11 are helping him with just photocopying-he's helping them with their financial situation( and all he tells them to do is sit there and study whilst he photocopies himself!). This is the kind of person he is!

HSC
    Uni Grad

Last edited by iSplicer; 30 Oct 2009 at 10:13 PM.
    NSW 2010 ATAR: 99.95 | USYD Combined Medicine (BMedSc/MD) 2017

HSC
    N/A

I know what you mean. Truong (or any one else) has his flaws. I have my flaws. Your parents have their flaws. I guess that Truong being educated in Australia is still very Vietnamese in his nature. This is because most of his customers are Vietnamese. Asking for respect is not just Asian culture. It's the English Victorian culture as well. I would prefer the more Westernised or Australianised version where adults don't have to dictate to the kids (and only try to be very firm when absolutely necessary). I used to have tough and good teachers when I was young. I admired them but I did not like them. I would prefer kind and friendly teachers who know when to be firm. But it's too much to ask as not many are like that. Some people of old cultures can be quite erratic. They can be over generous to people they like and behave badly toward the ones they dont' like. This is a common flaw.

The bottom line is that teachers who insist on respect often do well. However if they can also naturally create a sense of friendship, it will work even better. Some Asian teachers are so used to demanding respect that they just cannot deal with a role reversal. For example, I would doubt that Truong will handle well when he becomes a student of his student. Imagine if one of his student were to teach him how to do something and demanded that Truong paid attention and respect just like what Truong expected his students to. That would be a real challenge. I myself personally had no problem when my own kid told me that I was wrong and corrected me several times on what I taught the kid. I am glad that my own kid is competent and could outgrow me like that. I imagine that my kid's teachers would be uncomfortable when they were rightly corrected by a little kid in similar fashion.

You can judge a person as good or bad. You can judge a person as friendly or unfriendly. I think Truong's generation and his strong link with the Viet culture (most of his customers are Viet who respect teachers a lot) make him what he is. Some people like his style. Some hate his style. Some are jealous of his success. But at the end of the day, you don't have to like some one. However you need to judge a person fairly for his contribution (against what he takes such as payment or demand of respect). To this end I would say that if Truong respects his students as individuals and does not expect his students to LIKE him, then he's alright. We all have flaws. Unless the flaws are really unacceptable, we should overlook them.

One of my nieces are still going to Truong's place. Her father told me that Truong got tough recently and expelled students who did not pay in time (and did not talking to him). He expelled kids if the the parents violated parking laws and caused the council officers to talk to him. Knowing the Asian culture, I feel that this kind of tough action affect the kids a lot because some of the parents will take it out on the kids. If he employs some one to work on this and mediate it would be better. It certainly sends a message "Now that I am successful and rich, you all need me. I don't care any more". It's not necessarily true of Truong. But this is the attitude universally disliked among all cultures. It's too easy for a person like me to say negative things because I never need his services. That's why I think one should be fair and try allow for things.
    Last edited by Without Wings; 20 Apr 2009 at 1:39 PM.

HSC

I know what you mean. Truong (or any one else) has his flaws. I have my flaws. Your parents have their flaws. I guess that Truong being educated in Australia is still very Vietnamese in his nature. This is because most of his customers are Vietnamese. Asking for respect is not just Asian culture. It's the English Victorian culture as well. I would prefer the more Westernised or Australianised version where adults don't have to dictate to the kids (and only try to be very firm when absolutely necessary). I used to have tough and good teachers when I was young. I admired them but I did not like them. I would prefer kind and friendly teachers who know when to be firm. But it's too much to ask as not many are like that. Some people of old cultures can be quite erratic. They can be over generous to people they like and behave badly toward the ones they dont' like. This is a common flaw.

The bottom line is that teachers who insist on respect often do well. However if they can also naturally create a sense of friendship, it will work even better. Some Asian teachers are so used to demanding respect that they just cannot deal with a role reversal. For example, I would doubt that Truong will handle well when he becomes a student of his student. Imagine if one of his student were to teach him how to do something and demanded that Truong paid attention and respect just like what Truong expected his students to. That would be a real challenge. I myself personally had no problem when my own kid told me that I was wrong and corrected me several times on what I taught the kid. I am glad that my own kid is competent and could outgrow me like that. I imagine that my kid's teachers would be uncomfortable when they were rightly corrected by a little kid in similar fashion.

You can judge a person as good or bad. You can judge a person as friendly or unfriendly. I think Truong's generation and his strong link with the Viet culture (most of his customers are Viet who respect teachers a lot) make him what he is. Some people like his style. Some hate his style. Some are jealous of his success. But at the end of the day, you don't have to like some one. However you need to judge a person fairly for his contribution (against what he takes such as payment or demand of respect). To this end I would say that if Truong respects his students as individuals and does not expect his students to LIKE him, then he's alright. We all have flaws. Unless the flaws are really unacceptable, we should overlook them.

One of my nieces are still going to Truong's place. Her father told me that Truong got tough recently and expelled students who did not pay in time (and did not talking to him). He expelled kids if the the parents violated parking laws and caused the council officers to talk to him. Knowing the Asian culture, I feel that this kind of tough action affect the kids a lot because some of the parents will take it out on the kids. If he employs some one to work on this and mediate it would be better. It certainly sends a message "Now that I am successful and rich, you all need me. I don't care any more". It's not necessarily true of Truong. But this is the attitude universally disliked among all cultures. It's too easy for a person like me to say negative things because I never need his services. That's why I think one should be fair and try allow for things.
    It really depends on your definition of being a 'nice' teacher. In my opinion, Sir is a pretty nice teacher. I am not one of his brightest students, but he still treats me well because he knows that I try. He often asks me 'if I have a problem' understanding this or if I need anything to be clarified and usually I don't but when I do - I freely ask and he takes the time to explain it to me. To me - that is what defines a good teacher.

Also Sir is pretty friendly towards his students. He often jokes around and every lesson he talks to us about stuff irrelevant to the lesson - for example the soccer. He is mainly strict when it is time for us to learn and when he's explaining because it is vital we concentrate so we understand the concepts.

In the end, I do think Sir shows his students respect. I'll use the bowing as an example. In the Vietnamese culture - when you bow to an elder, you're not expecting to be greeted back. However when we bow to sir, he greets us back - either saying a simple goodbye, see you later, or a more personalised farewell. Also he has told us if we have any problems, whether academic or life - we can feel free to call him and talk to him about it.

That's just my opinion on Truong, and I thought I'd give my perspective.

Also with the fee thing, that does not sound like something Sir would do. He is usually pretty relaxed with fees, often giving free/discounted classes if you're under financial difficulties. With the parking, he's strict on that mainly because we were asked to leave our Canley Vale location because of parents and their neglegence when it comes to road rules - so he's strict on them because he doesn't want to upset our Fairfield neighbours.
    Last edited by Without Wings; 20 Apr 2009 at 1:39 PM.
    Commerce/Law - UNSW14'
    HSCo9 - 4 Unit Maths | English (Adv) | Physics | Business Studies | Studies of Religion I

Last Minute HSC Tutoring + Year 11/12 Tutoring avaliablehttp://community.boredofstudies.org/...-tutoring.html

HSC

Smile Re: Truong's tutoring, any comments?

Just putting my 2 cents in, I realise there's a lot of controversy over Truong's teaching methods, his personality and his values but the bottom line is

it's your hsc.
    YOU ultimately decide how well you'll go;
    tutor's are just there to help you, not get that UAI for you.

If you go to Ngo and Sons and you fail, that's YOUR problem, don't go bad mouthing his tutoring college (which, mind you, he's spent MANY MANY years building) to other people to make yourself feel better about your bad time management.

I'm currently in Year 12 at Baulkham Hills High, I started tutoring at Truong's centre in Year 9 while I was at Girraween High School. At Girra my maths was so so, I got 80s and the odd 90. After I began applying Truong's methods, doing his homework and concentrating in class, I made my way to the top class and (against the odds) managed to get into Baulkham Hills. (FYI, i got 19% in one of my tests at truong LOL)
    I admit, I was FREAKING scared to go to his classes but my sister who aced maths in the hsc swore by his methods and ended up doing really well. I'm so glad I took that risk because it has seriously paid off in my marks. (It takes me 2 hours to get there after school - massive sacrifice in HSC year)
    I've personally never been yelled at by Truong but yes, I've heard stories (Haven't we all?) But what happens with stories is, there's little glitches that happen in the retelling. People want to make those stories that LITTLE bit more entertaining by adding an extra "fuck", an over exxageration of his tone of voice, etc. Also, there is always a reason behind him "blowing up," if you're not respectful towards your elders then you deserve to be yelled at! He's a great guy, an excellent teacher and REALLY nice!
    So yes, I recommend people to go to Truong if you're willing to dedicate yourself to your studies.

OH
    and about the uni students teaching, they have to follow set plans made up by Truong himself. This lessens the stress on Truong (who's actually a doctor by day) and produces the same results in his students because obviously these ex students did well through following his methods.

AND it's $25 bucks a lesson, who could argue with that?
    Last edited by mandy-lee; 26 Feb 2009 at 10:19 PM.
    Baulko `09 :apig:

Prelims: Adv. English, Ext 1 English, Maths, Ext 1 Maths, Economics, Legal Studies, Music One

HSC: Adv. English, Ext 1 English, Ext 2 English, Maths, Ext 1 Maths, Economics, Legal Studies

HSC

Thumbs up Re: Truong's tutoring, any comments?

towards this thread, there have been many post defending Ngo's and sons, showing the he is a great tutor. I have to say so to, i didn't do well in the entrance exam - really poor (i think < 50%) but he still accepted me because i was willing to learn. My marks went from the 50% range to > 90%. I use to think that i would do 2 unit maths because of my poor marks that i have been getting but after going troung, my marks shots up and now im doing 4unit. Isnt it amazing? Plus, i am a female student and asks him alot of questions and he even told me i was annoying and cause trouble but still answers my question even though it is quite obvious. Thus, he is not sexist as he has complimented my before he just jokes around.

Some of my friends got rejected or expelled too, I sympathise for them but its one's determination that gets you through the HSC like "mandy-lee" said.

Even though, you may have many opinions about him, but i dont that your opinions or view matter because you have not:
    1. been to his class or spoken to him
    2. Sometimes people can exaggerate things like your niece maybe because she's still young and may not remember exactly what happened
    3. As your perspectives are based upon "other" people view that may have been rejected and are angry about it or expelled.
    4. It can be one's fault for not self-studying well enough because sir always says after to you write down the theory go home and revise.
    5. Sir always encourage students to ask questions (He wants people to ask) because he always, repetitively ask do you have any question? is there anything you dont understand?
    6. He is very kind and give a lending hand because he cares for his students - this is evident because he is always free to talk to HSC students having problems
    7. your opinions is simply invaild

I'm sorry if i have offended you in anyway but this what i honestly feel about sir because he has helped me improve in maths and made me a better person. I'm sure some students could of turned out to be gansters but they didnt thanks to him.

<3 littleyam
    P.S. hey "mandy-lee" * the-derivative - - - -- - - -- hugs

I hope my comments helped your understanding of Ngo and sons!

HSC

I heard they don't offer 2 unit Maths, just Ext1 and Ext2...is this true?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information