Truongs Maths Tutoring, any comments? (1 Viewer)

jellybelly59

HSC
Fairfield Troung's recommendation - English

Was wondering if anyone has gone to 'Fairfield Troung's recommendation' for English. Heard the teacher there from sefton is really good but the waiting list is extremely long and the classes were too big. Was wondering if that was true. Anyone have any idea?

Zephyrio

HSC
Re: Fairfield Troung's recommendation - English

Yes, I know the English teacher. She is very good.

rawrrr

HSC

Ahh she's called Ms Diab, i don't go for english but i go for maths, but i hear from friends that she's a pretty good teacher. Yea, i think there is quite a long waiting list as some classes are already full :S

Mothers

Banned
HSC

HAHAHA, Ms Diab is the BOMB! And quite fly if I may add.

scora

HSC

english tutoring is pretty useless unless they focus on the text you are studying at school; pretty much just comprehension work- in identifying techniques

OliverQ

HSC

ms diab is a good teacher but useless at sefton cos all she does is talk to the students about social tihngs rather than actually teach.

12o9

HSC

jellybelly59 said:
Was wondering if anyone has gone to 'Fairfield Troung's recommendation' for English. Heard the teacher there from sefton is really good but the waiting list is extremely long and the classes were too big. Was wondering if that was true. Anyone have any idea?
Ms Diab is an awesome teacher :D.
The chances of joining are slim due to the size of the classes as you've mentioned. If you want to join at Canley Heights/Fairfield, apparently you also have to go to maths/science there too.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Funny how Ms Diab is such a reputable teacher, yet Sefton's English results are just shocking (close to 100th ranked school in the state for English, keeping in mind it has a selective stream!)....:p

Last edited:

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC

We weren't that bad at english. :S
I got 47 for my Ext2 English piece last year.

Diab is an awesome teacher! There's also another teacher there, Mr. Tishler, who teaches at Macq Fields. He's really really good, I had him last year for yr12 at Truong's.

Last edited:

jeremychung

HSC
N/A

Zephyrio said:
Yes, I know the English teacher. She is very good.
Do you go to sefton high school? What do you think of mrs. repin? (have you had her as a teacher before, cause my parents want me to go there for tutoring)

I heard mrs. diab is really good cause she knows a lot, but my friends from truong's says she doesn't have a lot of sheets and materials (at least for their school work, like we do identity but she was covering change, what a waste - this is for year 11 btw)

12o9 said:
Ms Diab is a awesome teacher :D.
The chances of joining are slim due to the size of the classes as you've mentioned. If you want to join at Canley Heights/Fairfield, apparently you also have to go to maths/science there too.
If she's so good how come you can't even get your 'a' and 'an's correct hehe?

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC

jeremychung said:
Do you go to sefton high school? What do you think of mrs. repin? (have you had her as a teacher before, cause my parents want me to go there for tutoring)

I heard mrs. diab is really good cause she knows a lot, but my friends from truong's says she doesn't have a lot of sheets and materials (at least for their school work, like we do identity but she was covering change, what a waste - this is for year 11 btw)

Hey,

Yes, I know Ms Repin. She's/was my English teacher. I personally feel as if she is a wonderful teacher, if you do the work she sets and listen to her attentively. Keep asking her to mark your essays because she gives many useful tips on how to improve. Like any class, you have to put in the effort to reap the benefits; going to tutoring in the vain hope that it'll miraculously boost your marks without any effort will be useless, and a waste of time...

Last edited:

Zephyrio

HSC

Trebla said:
Funny how Ms Diab is such a reputable teacher, yet Sefton's English results are just shocking (close to 100th ranked school in the state for English, keeping in mind it has a selective stream!)....:p
Sefton's mediocre/poor results stem from the fact that there is a culture of focusing on maths/science, and not enough on English. Most people who complain and moan about the English staff are too lazy to do work, or just dislike English generally. And when they don't do the work set, they complain about the marks the receive. Go figure.

Yes, some teachers may not be excellent, but we must bear in mind that all schools will have its share of poor teachers. Sefton's English results are more reflective of the lack of effort placed into English by its students than the teaching ability of our English faculty. There are more than capable English teachers in our school - Levick, Repin, Diab, Pothoven come to the fore of my mind.

Last edited:

jeremychung

HSC
N/A

Zephyrio said:
Hey,

Yes, I know Ms Repin. She's/was my English teacher. I personally feel as if she is a wonderful teacher, if you do the work she sets and listen to her attentively.
Ok thanks, might try her out!
Trebla said:
Hmm you've got a point. My friends who had her didn't really improve as well, many deproved (though they did say she was still good, funny etc)

Oh and jayadore isn't 37 like failing? :confused: I'd want at least 80+ i think ... Don't know how good sefton english is then (and btw my friends who go there are actually really hard working, at least more than me).

Zephyrio

HSC

I think Jayadore got 47 lol.

Actually, she definitely did get 47.

Aznmichael92

HSC

jeremychung said:
Oh and jayadore isn't 37 like failing? :confused: I'd want at least 80+ i think ... Don't know how good sefton english is then (and btw my friends who go there are actually really hard working, at least more than me).
um isnt this the marks for ext 2? Ext 2 is marked out of 50 so thats not too bad. I would be happy if i got 37 for english extension. :D

12o9

HSC

jeremychung said:
Originally I wrote that she was a 'hectic' teacher then changed it to an 'awesome' one. :p Thanks for pointing that out though.

That being said, I'm not that great at English and that's why I attend her classes :).

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC

jeremychung said:
Ok thanks, might try her out!

Hmm you've got a point. My friends who had her didn't really improve as well, many deproved (though they did say she was still good, funny etc)

Ext1 and 2 English are marked out of 50. :)

Ms. Repin is an okay teacher. She's very .. you need to shift through all her seemingly irrelevant information to get to the good things she actually (if at all) teaches you.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC

Zephyrio said:
Sefton's mediocre/poor results stem from the fact that there is a culture of focusing on maths/science, and not enough on English. Most people who complain and moan about the English staff are too lazy to do work, or just dislike English generally. And when they don't do the work set, they complain about the marks the receive. Go figure.

Yes, some teachers may not be excellent, but we must bear in mind that all schools will have its share of poor teachers. Sefton's English results are more reflective of the lack of effort placed into English by its students than the teaching ability of our English faculty. There are more than capable English teachers in our school - Levick, Repin, Diab, Pothoven come to the fore of my mind.
I choose to believe otherwise. The people who actually do put the effort in and do the work still don't get good scores. I knew people who love and are really good at English/Arts, and somehow they still don't manage a band 6 or even close to it? Even the top students (those who usually love English and work hard in it) tend to get low band 6 in Advanced, few have ever scored any better than that. Some students who migrated to other schools, and were relatively low ranked (average) at Sefton before they left, ended up with final HSC marks in English which corresponded to about top 10 at Sefton.

I mean from my own experience, there were heaps of people who entered in Year 7 who loved English over Maths. By Year 12, many became converted to liking Maths over English. Surely there must be some cause of this "maths/science" culture. Perhaps the teachers don't make English as interesting as it should be? It may also be thanks to their ridiculously pedantic marking schemes which screws everyone's confidence in English and cause many to just "give up". Perhaps the Maths faculty are better at making their own subject area more attractive?

I'm not saying that all the teachers in the English faculty are completely responsible for the results. However, I do believe they have some contribution to the school's poor results to certain extent (though they may have you believe otherwise).

That being said, Ms Diab is probably the standout best of the entire English faculty. According to the experience of others, they often said that they learn more from Ms Diab in one period than all the periods taught by Levick, Repin or Pothoven put together.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)