how is maths tutoring at dr.du (1 Viewer)

bdon

HSC
Dr. Du is known to be a love or hate system of tutoring, and most hate him. He is not nice, in fact he will probably end up making you want to leave him in the first week of attending his tutorials. I know it sounds like I'm a hater, but I was probably one of those that didn't mind him. The majority of people do not like him, because he is cold, not helpful and in fact teaches you very little.
Though by the time you want to leave his class in the first week of tutoring, you've already realised that you have payed for the entire term of tutoring upfront before you even started, therefore forcing you to stay. This is the reason that allows him to have anything above a school of 3 people. So if you are looking to be ripped off and then given nothing in return, go to Dr. Du. The only good thing i can say about him was that he ... i sware i had something.
All in all there are much better, and cheaper tutors in the area that will be a lot more learning effective. For example, The Brain has a 3U and 4U mathematics tutor that is top of his advanced maths class at Usyd.
This is NOT me, I do not know him, but I have heard of him. He's also coming out with a 4U Mathematics textbook. Another tutor in the area is Harry's, which is also not very bad when it comes to tutoring.

All in all, Dr. Du is not a good choice if you want to be doing very well at the higher end of mathematics, or even other subject for that matter.

michelle483

HSC
He's really not that bad, when I first started out, I hated it because I just couldn't understand anything he said with his chinese-english accent, but I realise that it's actually not as bad as I thought. Um, if you're not already good at maths, I suggest either going to his B-classes or even better, somewhere else altogether, because you do need to have a sound base and be a reasonably quick thinker to follow him as he derives every single thing he teaches you from scratch (unnecessarily sometimes). If you are already good, well then go DU, seriously, it'd be good for you...He makes you realise that you're actually not as good as you think in comparison to everyone else, and stops you from getting cocky, which is fatal in the hsc!!! (silly mistakes everywhere add up) Also, he does go a little beyond the syllabus (but it's actually useful in the end, helps you save time in exams by using his method) and basically spends some time everyweek lecturing you about life and discipline but he's not as mean as people make him out to be...if you have asian parents, then um...he's a nice-ish asian parent figure. :)

Miss World

Banned
HSC
He's really not that bad, when I first started out, I hated it because I just couldn't understand anything he said with his chinese-english accent, but I realise that it's actually not as bad as I thought. Um, if you're not already good at maths, I suggest either going to his B-classes or even better, somewhere else altogether, because you do need to have a sound base and be a reasonably quick thinker to follow him as he derives every single thing he teaches you from scratch (unnecessarily sometimes). If you are already good, well then go DU, seriously, it'd be good for you...He makes you realise that you're actually not as good as you think in comparison to everyone else, and stops you from getting cocky, which is fatal in the hsc!!! (silly mistakes everywhere add up) Also, he does go a little beyond the syllabus (but it's actually useful in the end, helps you save time in exams by using his method) and basically spends some time everyweek lecturing you about life and discipline but he's not as mean as people make him out to be...if you have asian parents, then um...he's a nice-ish asian parent figure. :)
. :D

Amstudy

HSC
Maths at Dr Du is hard work. You'll sweat, your hand will cramp and the quizzes are...meh. Honestly, I think Dr Du pushes students a lot. You'll either be determined and work hard or cave under the pressure. B class contains 11 pages of homework, whereas A class has about 15 or 16 pages. There are consequences if you don't do well (for example, if you fail the quiz three weeks in a row, your parents receive a phone call). It's demanding.

I was quite bad at maths before I started attending Dr Du, only getting marks in the range of 55-70%. But after a few weeks in the next maths test, I received 90%. So as I said, Dr Du will push you a lot and teach you to think and write faster. If you'd like to, Dr Du can be compared to karate, martial arts, etc. whatever.

The system will work for some students, but not for others. It's all about the individual.

funstudy

HSC
Depends....on how much u get out of it. Although, I would recommend intuition and matrix- decent uni tutors, vibrant learning environment and you spend heaps of hrs on maths...which can be a good thing for the practice

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)