The Brain for English Tutoring? (1 Viewer)

kev-kun

HSC
Just out of curiosity, is The Brain good for English tutoring (year 10) My English is pretty mediocre at the moment and I wanna try to get into Adv. Eng. (hopefully).
If not.. is there a recommendation for English tutoring in the Hurstville-ish area?

Last edited:

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
The Brain is quite good for English!
I'd recommend it!

enoilgam

HSC
Just out of curiosity, is The Brain good for English tutoring (year 10) My English is pretty mediocre at the moment and I wanna try to get into Adv. Eng. (hopefully).
If not.. is there a recommendation for English tutoring in the Hurstville-ish area?
The brain is probably one of if not the best places for english tutoring in the area. I went there for about a term and the teachers (especially Chris and leone) really know there stuff and have great resources. I didnt stay beyond the term because I was looking more for a one-on-one private tutor, but they are very good.

such_such

HSC
The Brain tutors both groups and individuals at a very reasonable price! I've never heard any bad comments about it and if I lived in Hurstville, I'll definitely go there.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Went there back in year 7, BIGGEST WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY. They're quite expensive and not worth it. Get a private tutor. Better and cheaper

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
Apparently senior English tutoring there is g, my old English tut went there so....

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
Brain is good as long as you end up with a good teacher (e.g. Chris, Leone - they definitely know their stuff). Although, I've heard from a friend that he regularly disappears from her class during her lessons due to other distractions, which really sucks.

You're allowed to send in English stuff to get marked. I feel like the marking isn't that great. Sometimes, when I looked at the review comments (where it shows when they made the comment), you could see that they spent a very short amount marking it, possibly skim reading it so they can move onto the next essay. If you're paying that much money, I feel like you deserve a bigger effort, as oppose to skim reading essays.

They are really great for resources. He has an abundance!

It used to be very good. But with the significant increase in students, he needed more tutors. He was probably more lax when determining who could become a tutor (what I think, not sure if true). So as an overall, the tutors are not as top notch anymore.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Brain is good as long as you end up with a good teacher (e.g. Chris, Leone - they definitely know their stuff). Although, I've heard from a friend that he regularly disappears from her class during her lessons due to other distractions, which really sucks.

You're allowed to send in English stuff to get marked. I feel like the marking isn't that great. Sometimes, when I looked at the review comments (where it shows when they made the comment), you could see that they spent a very short amount marking it, possibly skim reading it so they can move onto the next essay. If you're paying that much money, I feel like you deserve a bigger effort, as oppose to skim reading essays.

They are really great for resources. He has an abundance!

It used to be very good. But with the significant increase in students, he needed more tutors. He was probably more lax when determining who could become a tutor (what I think, not sure if true). So as an overall, the tutors are not as top notch anymore.
Yeah. Back in year 7, I ended with up a shit teacher who wasted our time. We watched youtube videos because we had o do an analysis of it and then after doing an analysis of it we went on youtube and started watching all these funny videos. Biggest waste of time. I remember having these stupid end of term parties where we watched a movie and then I was like (to myself) hey mate, I don't pay (forgot how much it was but I've heard their prices have risen significantly) money to waste my fucking time. I'm here to learn, not watch stupid movies and eat food. I might as well go somewhere else and do that for like $5 thank you very much.

Yes alot of the markers are uni students and their not even trained or whatever to give you good extensive feedback, in fact a lot of them aren't studing english at a university level so pretty much what their doing is giving your work to some clueless idiot to mark and they can't mark your work to the standard you want them to.

Resource wise I'm not too sure about especially for Senior english since I only went in year 7 and I chucked all my year 7 brain work away so I am unaware of the resources.

I've been hearing rumors from a friend who currently goes to the brain saying that it's good and expensive and not really worth it

IMO I'd say don't go to the brain since the tutors aren't qualified in the area of english. Their other faculties (maths, science, languages, social science/ humanities, industrial technology) are WORSE THAN THEIR ENGLISH FACULTY.

If you really want to spend loads of money and go to the brain, then go to the brain ONLY FOR ENGLISH no other subject

I just want to laugh at the brain staff for their pathetic teaching and want to congratulate them of their achievement of wasting my time and money (Most of them)

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
I just want to laugh at the brain staff for their pathetic teaching and want to congratulate them of their achievement of wasting my time and money (Most of them)
I feel like you have some deep seeded hatred towards Brain LOL

Definitely english should be the only subject undertaken at Brain. It's a waste of time and money for other subjects. I think a good alternative is Mcduff. The few people i knew who went there did really well in english throughout the whole year.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Definitely english should be the only subject undertaken at Brain. It's a waste of time and money for other subjects. I think a good alternative is Mcduff. The few people i knew who went there did really well in english throughout the whole year.
Yes indeed I do.

Well, that was junior english I was talking about. Maybe senior english gets a million times more serious and much better. I can't confirm that. I don't even want to go back there not even for senior english because junior english scared me for life

I know better and cheaper places for english and they don't waste your time and money like how the brain did in junior english

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A

Mcduff my ass. You know how much they charge. Such a ripoff. No need for an english tutor. Absolutely useless unless it's one to one. You're better off asking your school teacher for help

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
HAHAHAHAH I didn't say they were an economically good choice, but they certainly do help. Plus it was hard to ask for help when my english teacher only allowed us to submit the essay once LOL

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
HAHAHAHAH I didn't say they were an economically good choice, but they certainly do help. Plus it was hard to ask for help when my english teacher only allowed us to submit the essay once LOL
Oh shit...good point here...Umm.....I think it's better to use an online essay marking service...Dunno...I know...Get a tutor right before your trials and use him/her as an essay/creative/online mentoring help haha. Saves so much money in year 11, although there are tutors who give you this stupid rule where it's like "one essay a week only" since this is part of the guidelines. WTF. Be more dedicated to your students, seriously. You became a tutor for a reason, not to make money. Moneygrubbers, rethink your part time occupation again because if you wanna do a job you're passionate about, you need to be MORE THAN COMMITED and I really mean it. Who gives a fuck about your social life and having fun. You can do that on Saturday/Sunday night and/or public holidays. What's more important your job or your social life? Rethink that please

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Oh shit...good point here...Umm.....I think it's better to use an online essay marking service...Dunno...I know...Get a tutor right before your trials and use him/her as an essay/creative/online mentoring help haha. Saves so much money in year 11, although there are tutors who give you this stupid rule where it's like "one essay a week only" since this is part of the guidelines. WTF. Be more dedicated to your students, seriously. You became a tutor for a reason, not to make money. Moneygrubbers, rethink your part time occupation again because if you wanna do a job you're passionate about, you need to be MORE THAN COMMITED and I really mean it. Who gives a fuck about your social life and having fun. You can do that on Saturday/Sunday night and/or public holidays. What's more important your job or your social life? Rethink that please
LOL

authenticity

Povo Child
HSC
Get a tutor right before your trials and use him/her as an essay/creative/online mentoring help haha. Saves so much money in year 11
The best decision I made for English was changing from group to private tutoring. I had an awesome English tutor who helped A LOT. She was so pro at english lol She worded everything so much better and was able to develop profound, complex and unique arguments for essay questions. The only down side was that she was a uni student, so during her exams, she was almost unavailable for help :/ But aside from that, super good :D

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
The best decision I made for English was changing from group to private tutoring. I had an awesome English tutor who helped A LOT. She was so pro at english lol She worded everything so much better and was able to develop profound, complex and unique arguments for essay questions. The only down side was that she was a uni student, so during her exams, she was almost unavailable for help :/ But aside from that, super good :D
This is why private tutoring is the most effective for english because english is one of those individual attention subjects which requires a lot of help in person and via email. It's not like maths or science when there's a right or wrong answer.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Hi
I am looking for private English teacher, for year 12, do you know any good one? who has experience in teaching year 12 and HSC marker?
please let me know if you know. Thanks
It's best to get someone who state ranked english and knows how your school marks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)