Help, anyone who has been to these 3 colleges - Dr Du vs. Mr Guan vs. Harry's (1 Viewer)

I-X

HSC
N/A
I'm looking for maths tutors or colleges with good teachers, and fast-paced courses.
At the moment, I'm having trouble deciding between Dr Du, Mr Guan (in Carlingford) and Harry's Education Centre.

If anybody has been to at least one of these colleges, could you please share your thoughts on THE RESPECTIVE COLLEGE'S:

a) teaching style (fast-paced, slow-paced? Do you do practice tests or does he lecture? )
b) quality of education
c) HSC outcomes (top marks?)
d) which of the three you would recommend, and why

Thank you!

iEatOysters

HSC
I can only offer my input for Dr. Du, as that is the only one I've attended.

Teaching style: Very fast paced, almost to the point where it's almost impossible for people who aren't as adept at mathematics (like me) to understand what he's talking about half the time. He also goes off-topic, which is the reason why we finish, on average, 20 minutes late. He also covers an overwhelming amount of content every lesson. There are no practice questions during class, you have to listen to him lecture and draw perfect circles for the whole two hours. There is, however, a test at the beginning of every lesson, which is designed to assess how well you understand the topic from the week before. Should you fail this test, you will have to stay back.

Quality of education: It's very hard to understand what he's talking about half the time. The examples he gives in class are also too easy, making it extremely difficult for us to do the hw. They don't even offer homework class anymore, which sucks. Speaking of the homework, it's 16 pages (for the A class), and is extremely time consuming. The homework is also graded each week, which is another way to make you feel bad if you haven't completed the hw.

HSC outcomes: Just go there and ask, they'll be more than happy to give you that booklet with their top students and marks. I've seen a lot of 99+ scores in the booklet thingy.

Overall: Good if you want to be challenged and are able to grasp mathematical concepts quickly. You should be relatively adept at maths to go, as it's pretty hard to understand what he's going on about, half the time. (for me anyway). If you're dedicated enough to do the hw (which takes ages to complete), I think it'd be pretty beneficial. He also focuses on proving and deriving things.

I didn't really like Dr. Du because of the sheer amount of hw he gave to us every week. He's not really good at explaining things, either, and doesn't give enough examples in class. Anyway, this is my two cents. I know quite a lot of people who really like Dr. Du... so yeah.

Cinndy

HSC
N/A
Isn't Dr Du in Hurstville?.. that's quite far from Carlingford :S

I attend maths classes in Discovery at Strathfield, I highly recommend trying out the free trial lesson.
Apparently matrix (one level above discovery) is quite good all round.
Or you can try out intuition at Epping. I heard that the sciences taught there and the maths (don't know if they offer 2u) cover the syllabub very well.

HSC
Does anyone knew contact number of Mr Guan Carlingford?

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Dr Du is famous for the state rankers and has most of the higher achieving students at ruse. It's also famous for the harder question it gives. Dr Du is only good if you're in the A class with Dr Du himself. Very expensive from what I've heard. I've even seen their prices and it just make you want to become blind seeing all those prices despite all the high achievers he produces

Harry's is good (according to my friend). He would rate it 9/10 however a "bit" expensive

Don't know Mr Guan that well.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which tutor you go to. As long as you study hard and learn from your mistakes, that's all that counts. Certain students benefit from certain tutoring centres i.e. Dr Du has so many state rankers however he goes at a really fast speed (from what I heard) and only top kids benefit from it. Even though Dr Du has the lower classes (A2,A3,B), I've heard that they have shit teachers so the dumber kids won't gain much unless they study hard and learn from their mistakes

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)