Ngo&sons VS harry's education centre (1 Viewer)

destin_n

HSC
hi guys~~
just wanting some reviews on both of those tutoring centres
are they comparatively good in terms of teaching quality and resources?
which one is better at improving student's understanding in 3u/4u math as well as HSC marks?
could anyone help out by giving their opinion in comparing those two?
really appreciate that!!

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Hello destin :)

I have been to Harry's for 2 years and what I like about it is the stimulating environment and his willingness to teach students. He also teaches in detail too.

Remember, the burden is always on the student to improve not a tutoring centre.

such_such

HSC
At first, I personally didn't like Truong because it didn't really follow school. Later I realised why they did that and its REALLY beneficial. It's different, but for the better.

Genero

HSC
For Ngo & Sons, you'll get plenty of questions to do, so resources are fine. The teaching is good, and if you don't understand explanations the first time around, you can ask questions (it is encouraged). Of the teachers that taught me there (Truong Ngo, David Mai and Daniel Yang), they were all engaging. The environment is not too serious, they're plenty of jokes here and there and it's good fun, but it's not too lax either. I've found that the 3u and 4u teaching is understandable, however, the only thing you have to do is to consolidate on the knowledge. You can go in there, and learn stuff, fair enough. But if it's just that, and you don't take the time to do questions and revise, your efficiency with the topic wouldn't be that strong. The consolidation is usually through homework, which is a reasonable amount, around 5-10 minutes a day usually. The lessons go for around 1 hour and 45 minutes and in that time the teacher would teach you the concepts and do a variety of questions. They emphasise the ideas in the questions rather than the actual question. After they go through the questions and concepts with you, they'd get you to write it down in your book so you can go home and look over. This process is repeated with periodic explanations, then note-taking. At the end of the lesson, the teacher would set homework from a worksheet of exam-style questions for you to consolidate your understanding. If you can't do the homework because of some other commitment, they'd understand, but it's up to you to consolidate on your own knowledge. If you didn't do the homework because you were lazy, usually the teacher would get angry. The lesson after that, they'd go through any difficulties experienced with the homework at the beginning of the lesson. But remember, the number one thing that would determine how well you do, regardless of which tutoring centre you may wish to go to, is your commitment and efficiency at working towards your goals. Hope this helps! :)

nightweaver066

HSC
Another vouch for Harry's education.

Similar to Spiral, I've been at Harry's for both 3U & 4U throughout year 11 and 12.

He teaches the concepts clearly, making sure you understand them by going through a series of examples that covers the various types of questions that could come out in the HSC.
Sometimes he gets sidetracked and tells a story, or sometimes to illustrate a point, and most of the time it's humorous and engages the class
The resources he uses are basically past CSSA & HSC questions from the past 20 years and questions he made so you'll always be tackling exam style questions.
The environment is positive and encouraging with room for questions during class time.
He sets homework, and there are no consequences for not doing homework (other than his look of disappointment), although it's best you do the homework so you refine your knowledge and ensures you can apply it.

I can't really compare to Ngo & Sons although i haven't been, but my experience at Harry's has overall been great and I'd definitely recommend it :D

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
He sets homework, and there are no consequences for not doing homework (other than his look of disappointment), although it's best you do the homework so you refine your knowledge and ensures you can apply it.
Exam block excuse 3 terms running brah :p

I found harry's quite intense. But if you can keep up it's very beneficial (especially for harder questions/learning new methods)

juniormaths

HSC
N/A
Exam block excuse 3 terms running brah :p

I found harry's quite intense. But if you can keep up it's very beneficial (especially for harder questions/learning new methods)
i went to harry's when i was yuounger, i thought it was a waste of time. Maybe because i was young, and work was easy, or i had a bad teacher ?
Im older now, and started tutoring again in year 9. Im at ngo and son's / D.A College - and i have Mr. Mai, you have probably seen me praise him ~~ because he is so good. He is so funny!

I reemember, going out of tutor and my dad asked me did you have fun, and i said "hell yeah daddy!" and he said you are meant to learn not have fun!

and i listed out all the things i learnt, and i was so amazed at what i have learnt

mr mai once said "there are things you don't know that you know" , i guess i jsut proved that hehe.

i do want to meet mr truong, because mr mai keeps talking about him, are they brothers ??? LOL

To be honest, i like mr mai because he truely cares about you. I was at north shore once, and my teacher was away so many times, my friends told me mr mai works during the day and teaches every singly day! and he has never ever ever missed a lesson!!

i think thats commitment, and it really shows careness. but the funny thing is i think all the staff is like that !!

sorry, really crappy input because i havent been to harry's for a long time ^-^
but the worse tuition has to be james an , i 've also been to peak tuition/science and the maths isn't challenging and the teachers are not as good.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I go to Ngo and Sons myself and it's quite good there. My friend goes to Harry's and tells me it's good although he's a super smart hardworking genius

si2136

HSC
N/A
Vouch for Harry. Patient, hardworking and accelerates the students.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Vouch for Harry. Patient, hardworking and accelerates the students.
Nah, I'd say Ngo and Sons. The teachers there are quite patient, they're very hardworking and accelerate students very heavily all for a cheap rate of $30/lesson. Good notes are provided during class as well and they've got a good set of questions in their handout. Harry's is a ripoff

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Nah, I'd say Ngo and Sons. The teachers there are quite patient, they're very hardworking and accelerate students very heavily all for a cheap rate of $30/lesson. Good notes are provided during class as well and they've got a good set of questions in their handout. Harry's is a ripoff
You have not experienced Harry's tutoring hence you should not be making a judgement of distinction. Essentially, you are comparing prices. You have not distinguished Ngo & Sons from Harry's in any other way.

All you can do is vouch for Ngo & Sons and how it is an excellent tutoring centre. Remember, you are to convince someone why they need to go to a specific tutoring centre, so each statement requires clear reasons.

My experience at Ngo & Sons has been (overall) great. They teach you what to do during a specific situation, often this is accompanied with shortcuts and memory techniques. An example is if you see roots of a polynomial, then think of sum and product of roots. You end up knowing what to do in most situations from sadly...memory.

Let's talk about homework questions. Each class is separated by schools and level, so each class gets the same level of homework. There are 4 levels of homework each with increasing difficulty. There are a low volume of questions but are carefully picked out for a purpose. It's all from past trials, I think so you dive straight into the meat. You are dead if you don't do your homework!! Just kidding, they collect some student's homeworks (sometimes all) every week but if you don't have a good reason why you didnt do your homework or didnt do it well, then you are most likely gonna get kicked out soon.

The two bosses, Ngo and Mai, are funny with their jokes and occasional stories. They are actually really nice when you talk to them outside of class as some may not know. Elements of family, discipline and respect are instilled in most students through anecdotal lessons and advice.

"You only study for your mum, your dad and me. No one else" - Mr Mai 201X.

The critical thinking aspect wasn't there, I mean, I came there to know how to do math and get high marks. I had no interest or curiosity for why and this tutoring centre didn't seem to foster critical thinking. The strictness within the classroom can be quite daunting for a new student and especially for a student with any form of anxiety. This is because they pick on you to answer questions and condemn you passively (facial expression) or actively (calling you an idiot, yelling).
Not sure if this has changed but it destroyed their approachability. It was difficult to ask questions because you would get scolded for stupidity.
I think they wanted to teach like how Vietnam does it. It works, they are trying to find the balance.

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
You have not experienced Harry's tutoring hence you should not be making a judgement of distinction. Essentially, you are comparing prices. You have not distinguished Ngo & Sons from Harry's in any other way.

All you can do is vouch for Ngo & Sons and how it is an excellent tutoring centre. Remember, you are to convince someone why they need to go to a specific tutoring centre, so each statement requires clear reasons.

My experience at Ngo & Sons has been (overall) great. They teach you what to do during a specific situation, often this is accompanied with shortcuts and memory techniques. An example is if you see roots of a polynomial, then think of sum and product of roots. You end up knowing what to do in most situations from sadly...memory.
The two bosses, Ngo and Mai, are funny with their jokes and occasional stories. They are actually really nice when you talk to them outside of class as some may not know. Elements of family, discipline and respect are instilled in most students through anecdotal lessons and advice.

"You only study for your mum, your dad and me. No one else" - Mr Mai 201X.

The critical thinking aspect wasn't there, I mean, I came there to know how to do math and get high marks. I had no interest or curiosity for why and this tutoring centre didn't seem to foster critical thinking. The strictness within the classroom can be quite daunting for a new student and especially for a student with any form of anxiety. This is because they pick on you to answer questions and condemn you passively (facial expression) or actively (calling you an idiot, yelling).
Not sure if this has changed but it destroyed their approachability. It was difficult to ask questions because you would get scolded for stupidity.
I think they wanted to teach like how Vietnam does it. It works, they are trying to find the balance.
Got a friend who's accelerated himself very heavily and currently goes to Harrys atm. Thats why I'm saying that.

They teach you the ideas around the question rather than how to do a question. They're not heavy on the conceptual understanding as much as they are on the methods

There are 3 bosses now, Ms Anh, Mr Mai and Dr Truong.

This is indeed true, Ngo and Sons does not foster critical thinking in any sort of way but as I have mentioned above, they're more on the methods rather than the conceptual understanding. Personally, I haven't seen on people getting picked to answer questions (other than questions like "what is the condition here?" and such)

Yes this has changed. Lots of people ask questions in classes and the teacher is willing to help. Go to Ngo and Sons right now and you'll see the change since you were a student parad0xica, it's much more friendlier than you think (I started late last year so am unaware of how the system operated before I came)
They do this because I think they have a strict way of operating and disciplining their students.

That's just my say on Ngo and Sons, but I'll say its worth going if you want to go to affordable, high quality tutoring

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Got a friend who's accelerated himself very heavily and currently goes to Harrys atm. Thats why I'm saying that.

They teach you the ideas around the question rather than how to do a question. They're not heavy on the conceptual understanding as much as they are on the methods
These two statements seem to conflict each other and the latter one seems like the right one. That's just like Vietnam in terms of rote learning methods.

There are 3 bosses now, Ms Anh, Mr Mai and Dr Truong.
Interesting...

This is indeed true, Ngo and Sons does not foster critical thinking in any sort of way but as I have mentioned above, they're more on the methods rather than the conceptual understanding. Personally, I haven't seen on people getting picked to answer questions (other than questions like "what is the condition here?" and such)
Critical thinking is an important fundamental skill and if poisoned will lead to the person's demise (not literally :p.) I'm saying that going to Ngo & Sons will most likely do some damage to your critical thinking faculty.

Yes this has changed. Lots of people ask questions in classes and the teacher is willing to help. Go to Ngo and Sons right now and you'll see the change since you were a student parad0xica, it's much more friendlier than you think (I started late last year so am unaware of how the system operated before I came)
That's good, then. I may re-consider if I'd want to send my children there, lol.

They do this because I think they have a strict way of operating and disciplining their students.
It's similar to how the military is taught. Fear instills discipline or something?

That's just my say on Ngo and Sons, but I'll say its worth going if you want to go to affordable, high quality tutoring
Same, but I'll leave the audience to judge.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Never knew Vietnam's maths curriculum was based on rote learning.

Ms Anh does all the classes at Ngo and Sons.

So you're saying that your critical thinking skills are somehow worsening if you go to Ngo and sons?

Why do you talk about your kids going to tutoring centres for?

I mean they're not that strict but I mean you still gotta work hard or else they're going to hate you for good

I wish there could be a version of Ngo and Sons+Kurt. Be the ultimate maths tutor in Sydney

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Never knew Vietnam's maths curriculum was based on rote learning.
It's their method of teaching, rote learning.

Ms Anh does all the classes at Ngo and Sons.

So you're saying that your critical thinking skills are somehow worsening if you go to Ngo and sons?
Yes, they teach you to rote learn without question.

Why do you talk about your kids going to tutoring centres for?
Because before on another thread, I said I won't send my children to Ngo & Sons

I mean they're not that strict but I mean you still gotta work hard or else they're going to hate you for good
They were "that" strict and it may have damaged some student's delicate mindsets back then.

I wish there could be a version of Ngo and Sons+Kurt. Be the ultimate maths tutor in Sydney

Oscar Feng

HSC
I attened Harry's in yrs 8&9 for maths and this year(year 10) I transfered to Truongs. In my opinion, Truongs as a centre just suits me better but that's just my preference

juniormaths

HSC
N/A
I attened Harry's in yrs 8&9 for maths and this year(year 10) I transfered to Truongs. In my opinion, Truongs as a centre just suits me better but that's just my preference
yes. dr truong and mr mai combo, is the best in the country!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)