Which tutoring centre or tutor do most 4U state rankers go to? (1 Viewer)

Qwer123

HSC
N/A
Do 4U state rankers usually go to any tutoring place, and if so which one is most common?

aoc

HSC
Rank 1/2 usually do other than that i think they had 4/10 or 5/10 of 2015s 4u state rankers

Qwer123

HSC
N/A
Thing is I'm looking to work for somewhat of a rank, but from what I heard, Dr Du only gets these ranks cos his students are already mathematically talented, which isn't right for me. I was wondering if it would be worth just learning the course yourself, or would your chances of a rank be very slim in that case?

aoc

HSC
Thats true...to go to Dr Du you need to be self-motivated and already be smart which is why they get state ranks in the first place (already smart people go there).
Getting a state rank without tutoring is very possible too though (2015 4u state rank 1 didnt get tutored) but that requires self-motivation as well

si2136

HSC
N/A
Just because you go to a certain tutor doesn't mean you'll get guaranteed marks. Don't be blinded by that.

seanieg89

HSC
Don't choose a tutoring place based on how many state ranking students went there. (And don't choose to get tutoring just because some state ranking students do.)

Most SR students would get SRs or close to, regardless of what tutoring they received and indeed whether or not they received tutoring at all. (Indeed most of the SR students I know personally did not receive any tutoring.)

Make decisions on whether tutoring is the correct choice / which place or person to go to based on evidence more indicative of their value. (Reviews by people who know what they are talking about or were in a similar situation to you in a previous year / credentials of teachers / just talking to the teachers and getting the vibe of the place.)

si2136

HSC
N/A
Don't choose a tutoring place based on how many state ranking students went there. (And don't choose to get tutoring just because some state ranking students do.)

Most SR students would get SRs or close to, regardless of what tutoring they received and indeed whether or not they received tutoring at all. (Indeed most of the SR students I know personally did not receive any tutoring.)

Make decisions on whether tutoring is the correct choice / which place or person to go to based on evidence more indicative of their value. (Reviews by people who know what they are talking about or were in a similar situation to you in a previous year / credentials of teachers / just talking to the teachers and getting the vibe of the place.)
That's true. Rishi came 1st and he didn't go tutoring at all. I know many SR's that didn't go tutoring.

Qwer123

HSC
N/A
hmm ok..
But I am just curious to whether tutoring centres teach you things that self-studying won't. For example, the various tricks to solve different problems. I mean surely if you want to state rank 4 unit, you should be able to know certain problem solving techniques that textbooks don't explicitly tell you (pls correct me if not). As far as my understanding, all the textbooks that I have do, is just tell you the solutions to problems, but nothing other than that.

seanieg89

HSC
hmm ok..
But I am just curious to whether tutoring centres teach you things that you self-studying won't. For example, the various tricks to solve different problems. I mean surely if you want to state rank, you should be able to know certain problem solving techniques that textbooks don't explicitly tell you. All these textbooks tell you is solutions to problems, but nothing other than that.
That's the thing though, you shouldn't just be absorbing the solution techniques you read in books. When you come across hard problems you should bang your head against them for a bit and try to come up with clever ways of doing them yourself. Success or failure, this way you get a MUCH better feel for what sort of techniques work in different situations than if you are simply told a collection of tricks that worked for tutor X.

No collection of tricks will be exhaustive, and everyone has their own subtly different ways of thinking about concepts, so it is much more important to develop your own problemsolving skills. (And there are plenty of resources online, even just things like this forum, for asking about problems that particularly stumped you).

Whilst some (imo very few) state rankers might be able to reach a state of readiness simply by memorising/cataloguing a vast collection of problemsolving techniques from tutors and doing a billion past papers, the best students are usually the ones that think more actively about the material and try to prove things themselves / improve solutions themselves / etc.

As a bonus, this style of study emphasising creativity and problemsolving is much more enjoyable that a more rote approach, and if you start to enjoy and get engrossed in the subject, that bodes better for your success than any number of tutors.

P.s. I don't mean to discourage you from getting a tutor if you really believe it is the best move for you based on information from everyone, this is just my view as someone who SRd and tutored for years. If you do decide to get a tutor, just be thorough with your research, because a lot of private tutors/coaching colleges are quite mediocre.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
That's true. Rishi came 1st and he didn't go tutoring at all. I know many SR's that didn't go tutoring.
Some people are smarter than others. If you have the brains, you don't need tutoring; you can self-study. Compared to my days, you have access to a wealth of books, resources that was unimaginable. But not everyone has the same intellect. Otherwise everyone wiil have about the same IQ.

Qwer123
I have approaches to some areas of 3U and 4U that are different or not to be found in the textbooks. That does not necessarily mean that I am a good (nor that I am bad).

Last edited:

Qwer123

HSC
N/A
But does Dr Du really improve your problem solving skills? From what my friend (who went to him) told me, he would give a fkload of homework with hard questions, and then next lesson people would mark it, tell you what you got right and wrong, give you the solution to it, and that's it. Yes hard questions challenge yourself, but I strongly believe doing that doing that alone won't do much in improving the average person's problem solving skills.

turntaker

HSC
But does Dr Du really improve your problem solving skills. From what my friend (who went to him) told me, he would give a fkload of homework with hard questions, and then next lesson people would mark it, tell you what you got right and wrong, give you the solution to it, and that's it. Yes hard questions challenge yourself, but I strongly believe doing that doing that alone won't do much in improving the average person's problem solving skills.
Ye

turntaker

HSC
If u go to Dr dew guaranteed 99+ atar he is 10/10 ign

turntaker

HSC
Then what do you think improves problem solving skills if not doing questions lol. You only get better at anything by practicing your logic doesn't make sense

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)