Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 306
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Best tutoring colleges

  1. #1
    tactic
    Guest

    Best tutoring colleges

    We'd like to start things off by asking what you guys think are the best tutoring colleges around??

    * What makes them 'the best' in your eyes?
    * Would you recomend other students go there?
    * What subjects do they teach?

  2. #2
    Exalted Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    2,411
    Rep Power
    12
    i did Kumon in primary school and i didn't really like it i don't think it helped me out much because i didn't have the self dedication to do it, i'm not sure how effective it is in high school/senior yrs

    they teach english and maths, i went for maths

  3. #3
    Retired
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where the citi never sleeps.
    Posts
    5,524
    Rep Power
    14
    personally, none, if you can find the motivation and determination inside yourself.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    513
    Rep Power
    11
    I dont think people go to tutoring for motivation...They are there because they are motivated enough to want to improve their results. I went to an english tutor who was a top HSC marker which was good because she knew what the markers were looking for.
    Its called proffesional tutoring centre and its at Hurstville. They tutor maths and English.

  5. #5
    Retired
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where the citi never sleeps.
    Posts
    5,524
    Rep Power
    14
    sorry i meant specifically about maths and the sciences. English is another matter.

  6. #6
    Maths is beautiful Sirius Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    some where down the south
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    11

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Cab31
    I dont think people go to tutoring for motivation...They are there because they are motivated enough to want to improve their results. I went to an english tutor who was a top HSC marker which was good because she knew what the markers were looking for.
    Its called proffesional tutoring centre and its at Hurstville. They tutor maths and English.
    It is illegal for a HSC marker to be a private tutor

  7. #7
    euphoric Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    HSC
    2003
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    there
    Posts
    2,421
    Rep Power
    12
    James An Coaching College.
    Because i teach there :P

    B. Commerce
    Finance & Accounting
    UNSW Graduate



  8. #8
    Juno 15/4/08 :) MuffinMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Liverpool, NSW
    Posts
    3,976
    Rep Power
    12
    what subjects grizzly?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    513
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Black
    It is illegal for a HSC marker to be a private tutor
    How is it? There are that many HSC markers out there that it would virtually cut out all school teachers from tutoring people. Its not like they are going to give you a secret recipe for success. The questions obviously change every year anyway. Its just nice to do a past exam question and have them say, 'well a lot of students lost marks here...and that part of the question was generally answered poorly etc'

  10. #10
    euphoric Grizzly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    HSC
    2003
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Location
    there
    Posts
    2,421
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by HSC_sUcKsSsS
    what subjects grizzly?
    Maths. yr 7-12 (2u)

    B. Commerce
    Finance & Accounting
    UNSW Graduate



  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    922
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Black
    It is illegal for a HSC marker to be a private tutor
    Where did yoy get that from? My english tutor and chemistry teacher are markers and they tutor people all the time. It's not the marker will give out the answer, it is the people who write the exam can give out the answer. The markers wont find out the answers of the exam until the exams have over, just like us.

  12. #12
    is a roflcopter Newbie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    HSC
    2003
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    3,670
    Rep Power
    13
    MR GU at Stratfield all the way

  13. #13
    Maths is beautiful Sirius Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    some where down the south
    Posts
    286
    Rep Power
    11

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Gough Whitlam
    Where did yoy get that from? My english tutor and chemistry teacher are markers and they tutor people all the time. It's not the marker will give out the answer, it is the people who write the exam can give out the answer. The markers wont find out the answers of the exam until the exams have over, just like us.
    HSC Markers can only be allowed to work for coaching college, definitely not for private tuition(one on one). I was told by a senior HSC marker last year

  14. #14
    Juno 15/4/08 :) MuffinMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Liverpool, NSW
    Posts
    3,976
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Black
    HSC Markers can only be allowed to work for coaching college, definitely not for private tuition(one on one). I was told by a senior HSC marker last year
    why not ?

  15. #15
    brown? ishq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    932
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Cab31
    I dont think people go to tutoring for motivation...They are there because they are motivated enough to want to improve their results. I went to an english tutor who was a top HSC marker which was good because she knew what the markers were looking for.
    Its called proffesional tutoring centre and its at Hurstville. They tutor maths and English.
    I've never understood tutoring for English...
    | Class of 2005 |

  16. #16
    Juno 15/4/08 :) MuffinMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Liverpool, NSW
    Posts
    3,976
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by ishq
    I've never understood tutoring for English...
    neither do i

  17. #17
    Tutor
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,262
    Rep Power
    11
    And what's your rank in English...

  18. #18
    brown? ishq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    932
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Estel
    And what's your rank in English...
    I see your point.














    No, seriously.
    Unless you have really, really bad teachers...
    | Class of 2005 |

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    513
    Rep Power
    11
    When i started tutoring for english my rank improved 14 places in half a year!! Does that help you understand it?

  20. #20
    Tutor
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,262
    Rep Power
    11
    I don't have a tutor for English (wouldn't be able to afford one) but I can see quite clearly the advantage of having someone to churn out a perfect essay for you to memorise.
    And yes, my school happens to fit your criteria, as do many others.

  21. #21
    Retired
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Where the citi never sleeps.
    Posts
    5,524
    Rep Power
    14
    tell me about it. Half my grade does that.

  22. #22
    P vs NP
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,982
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Estel
    I don't have a tutor for English (wouldn't be able to afford one) but I can see quite clearly the advantage of having someone to churn out a perfect essay for you to memorise.
    How to maximise your English marks in a nutshell.

    You could always ask people you know who did well in previous years (eg Laurie) for advice in English if you need to.

  23. #23
    brown? ishq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    932
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Estel
    I don't have a tutor for English (wouldn't be able to afford one) but I can see quite clearly the advantage of having someone to churn out a perfect essay for you to memorise.
    And yes, my school happens to fit your criteria, as do many others.
    Precisely!
    That is the only way anyone can tutor you for English - moulding your essay again and again and again, until what is left is more their essay than your essay.

    For the person who's rank improved 14 places, was it because of ^?
    | Class of 2005 |

  24. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    HSC
    2004
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    513
    Rep Power
    11
    It was generally because i understood the course better, had greater access to materials which would explain it, was able to have someone to help go through each unit, and also had other people in my tutoring group who i could help break down the course with. There is not enough time to do this in class because it is such a packed course. Basically before i went i was getting about 11 out of 15 in my essays. After i started going i got full marks for the next assessment and 19 out of 20 for the one following it. It helped heaps!

  25. #25
    Bok Choyer zenger69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    HSC
    2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Hot Sydney's place
    Posts
    673
    Rep Power
    10
    I got to Northshore coaching college The Randwick Centre.

    If it wasn't for the Physics Teacher or the English teacher and the centre manager giving me a discount for doing all three subjects at a bargain price.

    The material they give is so CRAP. The physics teacher is the best he goes beyond the material and asks people to bring in questions to do. In English we never use Northshore material but do our own texts.

    Maths course is probably the only decent one.

    The only reason I guess someone would go there, is it is one of a few coaching colleges that use real teachers not uni students.
    HSC Class of '05'
    UAI: 97.50
    B Commerce/Laws UNSW

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •