PRIOR "Practical Writing Skills" course (1 Viewer)

TYCOT

Imperium
HSC
i really need some opinions on this...

i'm in year 12 now and i do mainly humanities subjects so i need to do a lot of essay writing. my teachers say my expressions aren't very clear.

i'm not sure whether its worth it or not to enrol to the PRIOR course.

COURSE

1. $690/9 weeks- 2.5 hours each lesson approx. $76

2. 1.5 hours weekly for "workshop"

3. notes

SUPPOSE TO:

1. add flair to your writing

2. write more clearly and concisely

3. avoid grammars

4. punctuate effectively and correctly

5. time management in exams

P

pLuvia

PRIOR is very expensive, they are very disciplined. In cases they can kick you out if you are not showing interest in studying i.e. bludging, truanting classes. If you are dedicated and committed to your work, and "show" some improvement, then yes it will be worth it.

The teachers are there are really good, so give it a try, so basically you're paying $76 for 4 hours, and the workshop will help to point out your weaknesses and strengths. Enrol for one term to give it a try, or ask other people who have done it.

Good luck~

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
winston (wanton wanton) did this course, he said it didn't suit his needs very well.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
My advice (as someone intimately connected with Prior) is not to do the course this term. The whole system is being redesigned for the start of next year and I think there will be much better courses, i.e. courses that suit your particular learning needs better, at that time.

TYCOT - you may like to PM me to discuss this further.

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Really? Hmm for the exuberant amounts of money people pay I thought they would employ hsc markers at least.

ioniser

HSC
hey i went there and did that exact same course, its alot of work and you learn alot that can help you with your hsc year,they will give you ideas on how to improve your writing ,when i went they were marking a bit easy on the essays so thus i did learn alot but could have been alot more if they marked harder.but on the last 2 lessons i had there they sdaid they had to lift their marking guidlines(thus yeah i learn't a lot there in the last 2 lessons as they were stressing about the points i didn't get)

Overall with the changes they made yeah its getting better(it was already good but geting even better).english isn't something you can just master in 10 weeks,I'd recommend a private tutor,because english you have to work at your own pace and your tutor will be able to focus on you.Your not going to become a band 6 student in english in 10 weeks,the stuff they do would be like a good start to yr12,takes out alot of the stuff you do in school so you donn't have to entirely focus on english at school in yr 12 ,prior will give you a head start.if you do go ,every week they have work shops i suggest you use your time efficently with the tutors in your workshop asking them questions consistently as to why your essay was so shit and how you could improve(usually about 3 people in workshops its where you fix up your hw errors)

TYCOT

Imperium
HSC
thanks for all your advice, i've decided not to go ahead with it. although i really need to improve on my essay skills i'll be looking around.

if any bumps into a essay/writing type of course please add some detail on here.

thanks everyone!

ManlyChief

HSC
sikeveo said:
Really? Hmm for the exuberant amounts of money people pay I thought they would employ hsc markers at least.
When one calculates how much per hour students pay it really isn't that much.

The fee only appears 'exuberant' (cute malapropism - you mean exorbitant, surely?) because it's charged in a lump sum.

Last edited:

ManlyChief

HSC
ioniser said:
hey i went there and did that exact same course, its alot of work and you learn alot that can help you with your hsc year,they will give you ideas on how to improve your writing ,when i went they were marking a bit easy on the essays so thus i did learn alot but could have been alot more if they marked harder.but on the last 2 lessons i had there they sdaid they had to lift their marking guidlines(thus yeah i learn't a lot there in the last 2 lessons as they were stressing about the points i didn't get)

Overall with the changes they made yeah its getting better(it was already good but geting even better).english isn't something you can just master in 10 weeks,I'd recommend a private tutor,because english you have to work at your own pace and your tutor will be able to focus on you.Your not going to become a band 6 student in english in 10 weeks,the stuff they do would be like a good start to yr12,takes out alot of the stuff you do in school so you donn't have to entirely focus on english at school in yr 12 ,prior will give you a head start.if you do go ,every week they have work shops i suggest you use your time efficently with the tutors in your workshop asking them questions consistently as to why your essay was so shit and how you could improve(usually about 3 people in workshops its where you fix up your hw errors)
They're not 'errors' but 'learning opportunities' :)

That's interesting that you did the course - if you don't mind me asking, did you do it at Bondi or Chatswood? :)

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
There are very good ones for $40/hour on the upper north shore, i can guarantee that.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Or if you were really cheap (like me) you could just get friends who went really well in the HSC to tutor u cheap =]

ioniser

HSC
ManlyChief said:
They're not 'errors' but 'learning opportunities' :)

That's interesting that you did the course - if you don't mind me asking, did you do it at Bondi or Chatswood? :)

i went to bondi, i heard chatswood isnt as good as bondi .also the teachers at prior are all uni students (usually studying degrees in law ,engineering mostly)are you a tutor there

ManlyChief

HSC
ioniser said:
i went to bondi, i heard chatswood isnt as good as bondi .also the teachers at prior are all uni students (usually studying degrees in law ,engineering mostly)are you a tutor there
two of my best friends are :)

one does arts/law - the other does electrical eingineering, so you are totally right with the degree thingo :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)