tutoring techniques (1 Viewer)

HSC
your thoughts on how one should go about doing a one on one tutoring session?like..should it just be the student always asking the teacher?or the teacher teaching the student?etcthanks

evilevoevil

HSC
N/A
depends on the student i'd say. but imo, a bit of both. the teacher teaches the content, the student asks questions if they don't understand anything, or if they have any questions that they can't do/

btw, don't u like go to matrix or something for most of your subjects?

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I've gone to 1 on 1 tutoring and tutored myself regularly for a while now.

Basically it depends on the student and the timing. If the student is an accelerant and wants to learn ahead, the tutor will probably be teaching + giving work and the student will ask question when they need help. They will probably not need to go over topics for an upcoming exam, but will probably ask for extra revision/time to revision in the tutoring session.

If the student is struggling then the tutor will probably answer questions relating to homework and re-teach/go over topics for the students exam coming up. Of course this includes giving revision work to ensure that the student understands what is being taught.

If the student is not struggling but is not an accelerant then it will probably just be reinforcing information and making sure they understand everything. They will probably ask to go over topics they are finding the most difficult.

I'm probably biased, but if you're finding MXT2 difficult you're probably better off finding a 1 on 1 tutor that can help you improve your areas of weakness. Going to matrix/classes will not allow you to do so.

Hope i helped :)

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Do what ever you want, you're paying. But I prefer the tutor asking me quetions.

soporific

HSC
you can do a few things:

1. get a private tutor - student or school teacher
2. change your matrix class

i go to matrix for 4 unit. for maths it really depends on who you have... for me personally when i first came i was suppose to put into A1, but then i changed into a different class as i heard the teacher was pretty good. and i dont regret it.

alan7948

HSC
you can do a few things:

1. get a private tutor - student or school teacher
2. change your matrix class

i go to matrix for 4 unit. for maths it really depends on who you have... for me personally when i first came i was suppose to put into A1, but then i changed into a different class as i heard the teacher was pretty good. and i dont regret it.
really? who do u have as ur teacher at matrix..... i had satha uma... once and he was terrible

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Tutoring must be tailored to individual student's need.

I have been volunteering as a school tutor for 2 years now and my approach has always been like that. When I tutor someone, I first try to understand how good he/she is with simple test. Then I plan the tutoring sessions according to such need.

However, there is a certain "pattern" in my tutoring. I first begin the tutoring session with explanation of the contents based on syllabus. Formulas must be thoroughly explained and the tutee must understand how and where to apply the formulas. Secondly, I give some exercise questions. I make sure the questions are of a great variety so that the tutee is well-exposed to different situations.

Lastly, I adopt past paper session. This is perhaps the most important session as the tutee applies his/her knowledge of the topic and understands how good she/he is. However, focus must be given to exposing tutee to different past papers rather than more of them. Simply repeating the same contents over and over again never yields effective results.

So tutoring is simply: understanding -> reinforcing -> testing -> evaluating. In addition, tutor must ensure that she/he gives some useful tips in regards to studying routine, time manamagent, stress management and etc. throughout the tutoring session. It is these tips that give tutee extra edge.

I personally reckon tutor also has a responsibility to act as a mentor.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
You're paying - you tell the tutor what you want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)