Law and society-Donoghue v. stephenson & carbonic smoke ball company... (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Can someone tell me the basic point of these two cases
CONTRACT LAW: CARLILL V. CARBOLIC SMOKE BALL COMPANY 1893
(pg15 heinemann text)
TORT LAW: DONOGHUE V. STEVENSON 1932
(heinemann text pg16)
i jus wanna include a few lines bout them in my notes in regards to tort law and contract law as a case study
thanks

Last edited:

rific

HSC
Um, do you mean Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co (1893) or is there a new one? The basic points behind this one is in regards to offers to the world at large and contractual obligations v puff.

I don't have the Heinemann you refer to, but they are the most important issues that people normally look at. If you want more info, just post again or PM me.

D v S, it's been a while since I've looked at this one so I'll let some one else answer and if they don't I'll look up my old notes/texts and give you something.

goan_crazy

HSC
rific said:
Um, do you mean Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co (1893) or is there a new one? The basic points behind this one is in regards to offers to the world at large and contractual obligations v puff.

I don't have the Heinemann you refer to, but they are the most important issues that people normally look at. If you want more info, just post again or PM me.

D v S, it's been a while since I've looked at this one so I'll let some one else answer and if they don't I'll look up my old notes/texts and give you something.
sorry dude my bad i was meaning 1893 for Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co
and Donoghue v. stevenson yea
thanks

Igor

HSC
N/A
both cases refer to civil law suits.
Donoghue v. Stevenson regards the quailty of a product and the assumed guarentee that you get what you pay for, even though at the time there was no oligation on a company or manufacturer to guarantee the product

Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co refers to false advertising in a way, a guarantee that the smoke ball would protect against catchin the flu, when there really was no such protection.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
joe_m_2000 said:
Can someone tell me the basic point of these two cases
(pg15 heinemann text)
(heinemann text pg16)
i jus wanna include a few lines bout them in my notes in regards to tort law and contract law as a case study
thanks
Off the top of my head

(pg15 heinemann text) - Basically this company promised if u used this product u would not get the flu...if u did they would give you a reward (a certain amount of money). This prsn did get the flu and they asked 4 the reward...the company said it was like a gimic and they wldnt pay...so basically it was a breech of contract

(heinemann text pg16)
This is the gross case of the lady who drank the bottle of ginger beer and found a decomposed snail in it...its the leading case 4 tort of neiglience as the company failed to provide a duty of care...and by having an opaque bottle she couldnt see inside it...sorry abt the dodgy defintion...its off the top of my head

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
lol its not very articulate...my teacher bored us to death today going through each oif the articles on the declaration on human rights and teeling us abt them all blah!

we did DONOGHUE V. STEVENSON 1932 in commerce...i will never 4got that one

goan_crazy

HSC
melsc said:
lol its not very articulate...my teacher bored us to death today going through each oif the articles on the declaration on human rights and teeling us abt them all blah!

we did DONOGHUE V. STEVENSON 1932 in commerce...i will never 4got that one
oh fair enuf
we do it again in consumers

Jonathan A

HSC
I LOVE THE TWO CASES and have studied them in great detail.

Donoghue v Stevenson

This deals with the law of negligence.

The judge stated in order for there to be negligence, there must be:
- A duty of care owed to the plaintiff
- A breach of the duty by the defendant
- Which resulted in injury or damage to the plaintiff.

The facts are that a lady consumed ginger ale to find that there was a decomposed snail. She sued, however the issue at law was that she did not purchase the drink, how can she sue, if she is not privy to the contract? The court took negligence to a new level and allowed the claim to continue based on the three legal tests above.

Carbolic Smoke Ball

Law of Contracts in offer and acceptance

The court held that whilst advertisments are not offers in general, if the advertisement has executed consideration (that is that an offer arises when doing something for the other party in accordance with the terms), then there is a contract.

Jonathan A

HSC
Igor said:
both cases refer to civil law suits.
Donoghue v. Stevenson regards the quailty of a product and the assumed guarentee that you get what you pay for, even though at the time there was no oligation on a company or manufacturer to guarantee the product

That's not entirely correct. The case actually states if you are negligent in the preparation of a drink (the principles even go as far as unborn children) then you are liable. Has nothing to do with what you pay for, that is contract law, and the principle of 'you get what you pay for' has no bearing in law, it's a little informal marketing term if you like.

Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Co refers to false advertising in a way, a guarantee that the smoke ball would protect against catchin the flu, when there really was no such protection

Again right about the facts, however the issue came down to offer and acceptance.

Jonathan A

HSC
= Jennifer = said:
damn jono you got there before me :chainsaw: i wanted to share my tort law knowledge too :p

Share it.... You can throw in the famous Dictum of Lord Atkin....

Lorie

HSC
people doing workplace law should remember these cases when they do those topics.

goan_crazy

HSC
Lorie said:
people doing workplace law should remember these cases when they do those topics.
Also consumer law, thats what im doing and I was told these are v. important cases 2

Jonathan A

HSC
melsc said:
Do u remeber doing Donoghue v. stephenson 4 commerce??? Caveat Emptor... LOL :)

lol, you have a good memory.

Caveat Emptor has taken on a new role, you will learn if you do consumers.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Jonathan A said:
lol, you have a good memory.

Caveat Emptor has taken on a new role, you will learn if you do consumers.
I remember being totally grossed out...and knowing it was my first case stuyd..its consolled me after I found out there was no year 9 elective called legal studies LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)