A good way 2 study for family (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
I thought this would be a good way to study...

I ask a question then the next person posts the answer and a new question for the next person to answer and so on....

What is the legal definition of a family?

iVe A bIgOnE

The union of a man and women - i.e no homos or sex changes as can be seen in (corbett Vs Corbett 1970)
voluntarily entered into - i.e duress is illegal which can be seen in the case of (Dimento Vs Visalli 1973)
for life - sole ground of divorce as the irretrieveble breaksdown of marriage
to the exclusion of all others - monogamy, bigamy or polygamy are not alowed, i.e as can be seen in case of (Archer Vs Archer 1996)

Last edited:

iVe A bIgOnE

New question.
List 5 different tyopes of family arrangements and how the legal system has responded to the issues caused by these arrangments

goan_crazy

HSC
the defn of a family as defined by the family law act 1975 (cth) is
family law act 1975 (cth) said:
the fundamental group unit of society particularly while it is responsible for the care and education of dependent childen"
next question:
what is polygamy and bigamy?

goan_crazy

HSC
iVe A bIgOnE said:
New question.
List 5 different tyopes of family arrangements and how the legal system has responded to the issues caused by these arrangments
aged families
two parent families
blended families
couple parents with no children
unpaid domestic carers
same sex couples
defactos
related adults living together
extended families
single parent families

the legal system deals with family by federal level by the family court
divorce is by state

also the property relationships act previsously known as the defacto relationships act changed via the property relationships legislation ammendment act 1999 which gave more rights to same sex n defactos

iVe A bIgOnE

polygamy is when some bastard has more than one wife at a time

polyandry is when some biatch has more than one husband at a time

New Question

What are the main consequences/duties of partners in marriage?

goan_crazy

HSC
iVe A bIgOnE said:
What are the main consequences/duties of partners in marriage?
1. Mutual duties of husband and wife
2. Maintenance
3. Property rights
4. Agency
5. Wills
6. Family provision legislation

next question:
Outline the function of a family

iVe A bIgOnE

mnnn not exactly sure what u mean, i know it sounds rather straight forward but i just havent covered it yet i dont think.

do you mean like care and control, education, discipline, etc
if not u may have to help me out here

goan_crazy

HSC
to care and protect for all members of the family unit :) is the answer

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
What do u mean by 'function'?

This is my legal definition of a family - this is what i use:
A family (defined by ABS) as ‘two or more persons, one of whom is at least 15 years of age, who are related by blood, marriage (registered or de facto), adoption or fostering, and who are usually resident in the same household’. The notion of a family is a flexible, malleable one that may change over time.

Huratio

Moderator - UTS
HSC
oh year.. my question:

i'm not good at the syllabus dot point: 'extent to which law reflects moral and ethical standards'... i've got an extremely brief explanation on my notes.. doesn't seem sufficient.

goan_crazy

HSC
Huratio said:
oh year.. my question:

i'm not good at the syllabus dot point: 'extent to which law reflects moral and ethical standards'... i've got an extremely brief explanation on my notes.. doesn't seem sufficient.
explain it then huratio what uv got
coz i dont know the answer
not up to it yet :p

L

LaraB

Huratio said:
What do u mean by 'function'?

This is my legal definition of a family - this is what i use:
A family (defined by ABS) as ‘two or more persons, one of whom is at least 15 years of age, who are related by blood, marriage (registered or de facto), adoption or fostering, and who are usually resident in the same household’. The notion of a family is a flexible, malleable one that may change over time.
be careful about using ABS - they do not always define things the same way as the judiciary

technically, a family can be one or more people - stupid i know...

"one of whom is at least 15 years of age" - not always the case as family is meant to be a universal definition and there are 14 yr olds etc havin kids so they're a family... in other countries, kids leave home at early teens and "marry" or whatever they refere to it as another person and they're a family

Marriage (registere or de facto) - under the law de facto is an alternative arrangment to marriage - th eonly relatsionships recognised as 'marriage' are those that are registere and follow the appropriate legal processes. Polygamous marriages are recognised as marriages too even though they aren't allowed to be entered into in AUs - they're recognised for purporse of divorce, maintenance etc

if you're going to ues ABS stuff - make sure you explicitly state that this refers to situations common in Australia only.:)

L

LaraB

Huratio said:
oh year.. my question:

just a hint - this isn't a "heres the question, here's the answer" type area.

you mroe have to look at each aspect of the law, each legislation, each precedent and each issue and say how these do or don't reflect individual moral/ethical standards and societal/collective moral/ethical standards.

IE - dthe law is supposed to represent the collective morals of society, thus they most often do not represent the morals of "minorities" - eg women, differnt cultures, kids, different religions, homosexuals etc

so if you are referring to, say how the law reflect moral and ethical standards as far as marriage you can refer to points such as:
* recognition of polygamous marriages for legal proceedings but not allowing their creation in australia- this reflects a western moral standard that fidelity and exclusivity is an important asoect of marriage. This ignores individual morals/ethics for those who believe there's nothing wrong with it.

* Divorce - 'custody'(residence) of kids - having the childs interests as paramount reflect societal morals and ethics through placing the rights of an innocent and uninfluential and vulnerable participant in the situation above that of the independant and perhaps less vulnerable adults. This however often infringes upon individuals standards as often one parent is afforded less time with their child etc

*De Facto relationships - reflects the change/advancement in societal/cultural perceptions regarding of marriage - living together but not being married is no longer viewed as iummoral, so the law has responded to represent this perception.

etc etc

its not a matter of saying "the law reflects moral and ethical standards"

you have to look at each issue of family law separately. A good way to do this in essays is to dividie it up into categories such as Marriage, Divorce, De Facto Relationships, Same sex relationships, Children, Birth technology and Adoption, Property - linked to divorce but technially a separate issue(as this is separate from divorce proceedings in the family court).

Basically think of it as in what does this area involve, how has the law in this area changed from initial laws to teh present, how has society changed from initial to present and then compare the laws changes and societies changes. As society changes due to changing morals/ethics/accepted behaviours, if the law changes to accomodate tese it thereofre reflects moral and ethical standards. Howeer, make sure you address individuals and collective morals as they are different and otfen infringe upon one another. :)

goan_crazy

HSC
thanks 4 that LaraB :D
next question:
what is hyde v. hyde about and what did it do?

still waiting

HSC
wasnt it between a divorce between man and wife when the wife had married another person in another country and it was ruled illegal until the first divorce came through? it was in england or something like that?
im not quite sure i think i pulled this answer out of my arse lol oh well

L

LaraB

still waiting said:
wasnt it between a divorce between man and wife when the wife had married another person in another country and it was ruled illegal until the first divorce came through? it was in england or something like that?
im not quite sure i think i pulled this answer out of my arse lol oh well
im pretty sure what you're talking about is Khan v Khan - that set precedent for recognition of polygamous marriages for purporses of divorce and wills

goan_crazy

HSC
*Bump to the family study thread*
Trials are next week
this can be a good study aid

next question:
What does DOCS stand for and what does it cover?

still waiting

HSC
Department of child services and it covers anything to do with children eg abuse, neglect fostering adoption etc and is largely ineffective

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)