What are the higher paying part-time jobs for High School/Uni students? (1 Viewer)

tedh

HSC
I'm trying to look for a part-time job suitable for high-school/uni level. I've had my peers tell me about Coles, Woolies, Target, and etc. But I didn't get to know much in detail as I know no-one who has had experience or knowledge about these places.

Can anyone tell me where I should seek employment for good pay?

enoilgam

HSC
Call centres and data entry. Or maybe even a dishwasher/kitchen hand in a nursing home.
These two can really help with graduate opportunities I reckon.

In terms of part-time work, tutoring is excellent, especially working for yourself. A private tutor can pull anywhere from $30-$70 an hour cash and you aren't really going to make money like that elsewhere. I ran my own small tutoring business for just over four years and I managed to earn more than enough to keep myself comfortable as a uni student. I did however cut back in my last year of uni to make more time for a job related to my degree and future career, but looking back, this was a mistake as I would have been able to handle it.

However, the main drawback of tutoring is the lack of regular guaranteed employment. That being said, the demand is definitely out there and the key to making it work is offering a high quality service, because word-of-mouth is essential to getting work. As a small business owner once told me "When you run your own business, you have to be competitive every day of the week". Working as a tutor isn't like working at Coles where you can get away with a half-assed effort, if you don't offer a quality service you wont get more work. It's that simple.

Speaking of Coles, another good job is stacking shelves at a supermarket. My mates work at Coles doing night shift (8pm-12pm) and they make $20.2 an hour, plus time and a half on Saturdays and double time on Sundays. From what my mates tell me, the work is pretty easy and for the money, it definitely seems like a sweet number.

Futuremedstudent

Ancient Orator
HSC
N/A

In terms of part-time work, tutoring is excellent, especially working for yourself. A private tutor can pull anywhere from $30-$70 an hour cash and you aren't really going to make money like that elsewhere. I ran my own small tutoring business for just over four years and I managed to earn more than enough to keep myself comfortable as a uni student. I did however cut back in my last year of uni to make more time for a job related to my degree and future career, but looking back, this was a mistake as I would have been able to handle it.

However, the main drawback of tutoring is the lack of regular guaranteed employment. That being said, the demand is definitely out there and the key to making it work is offering a high quality service, because word-of-mouth is essential to getting work. As a small business owner once told me "When you run your own business, you have to be competitive every day of the week". Working as a tutor isn't like working at Coles where you can get away with a half-assed effort, if you don't offer a quality service you wont get more work. It's that simple.

Speaking of Coles, another good job is stacking shelves at a supermarket. My mates work at Coles doing night shift (8pm-12pm) and they make $20.2 an hour, plus time and a half on Saturdays and double time on Sundays. From what my mates tell me, the work is pretty easy and for the money, it definitely seems like a sweet number.
economist at ausaid

hsc3hard5me

HSC
these two can really help with graduate opportunities i reckon.

In terms of part-time work, tutoring is excellent, especially working for yourself. A private tutor can pull anywhere from $30-$70 an hour cash and you aren't really going to make money like that elsewhere. I ran my own small tutoring business for just over four years and i managed to earn more than enough to keep myself comfortable as a uni student. I did however cut back in my last year of uni to make more time for a job related to my degree and future career, but looking back, this was a mistake as i would have been able to handle it.

However, the main drawback of tutoring is the lack of regular guaranteed employment. That being said, the demand is definitely out there and the key to making it work is offering a high quality service, because word-of-mouth is essential to getting work. As a small business owner once told me "when you run your own business, you have to be competitive every day of the week". Working as a tutor isn't like working at coles where you can get away with a half-assed effort, if you don't offer a quality service you wont get more work. It's that simple.

Speaking of coles, another good job is stacking shelves at a supermarket. My mates work at coles doing night shift (8pm-12pm) and they make $20.2 an hour, plus time and a half on saturdays and double time on sundays. From what my mates tell me, the work is pretty easy and for the money, it definitely seems like a sweet number.
twenty fucking dollars, double that on sundays, i'd work 25 hours on sunday

RenegadeMx

Kosovo is Serbian
HSC
Uni Grad

yeah i heard about this from another friend, he makes $25 hr with all the bonuses u said too, makes me want to try applying for coles

hsc3hard5me

HSC
yeah i heard about this from another friend, he makes $25 hr with all the bonuses u said too, makes me want to try applying for coles
can anyone else confirm? I looked around a bit and it says they only make 15

Jimmy2064

HSC
Start looking around - hand in resumes and apply everywhere, if they offer you a job and the hours or pay doesn't suit you, just say no. I'm on a Gap year at the moment but I work in a winery and make $21 an hour at 18. My friend at uni works at a real estate office for $40 an hour. If you want flexibility big chains are your best bet as they employ so many staff, and offer reasonable rates.

nat2609

HSC
Sometimes you don't really get a choice because the job market is very competitive for teenagers/young adults - they choose you, not the other way around. But if you're starting off any of the big retail giants like Coles, Target, Kmart or Woolworths are the perfect high school or uni student job which have fairly decent pay (I'm an 18yo casual and I get $16/hr). It's a lot more professional if you work with a big company so steer clear of small businesses if you're looking for higher pay & better conditions, obviously!

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Sometimes you don't really get a choice because the job market is very competitive for teenagers/young adults - they choose you, not the other way around. But if you're starting off any of the big retail giants like Coles, Target, Kmart or Woolworths are the perfect high school or uni student job which have fairly decent pay (I'm an 18yo casual and I get $16/hr). It's a lot more professional if you work with a big company so steer clear of small businesses if you're looking for higher pay & better conditions, obviously!
I think alot of smaller businesses actually pay more then minimum wage, I can give a few examples. Conditions depend on the workplace itself, though universally big companies have to keep a standard, so it's true for the most part.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
My mate just got a job at aldi. He is 19 and gets $24/hr + time and a half/double time depending on what shifts he works.

enoilgam

HSC
My mate just got a job at aldi. He is 19 and gets $24/hr + time and a half/double time depending on what shifts he works.
To think, some of my mates are slaving away in accounting jobs for just a little more an hour (obviously, their salary will increase but still).

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
To think, some of my mates are slaving away in accounting jobs for just a little more an hour (obviously, their salary will increase but still).
Yep, it doesn't make me awfully keen for a grad program in a few years time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)