Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Am I alone in hating airplane food?

HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Am I alone in hating airplane food?

Quote Originally Posted by seremify007 View Post
    It's not the removal of the cabins which make it feel discount to me but both their cabin comfort and their pricing structure is more akin to a discount/budget carrier. e.g. if you want a drink you need to order it using the touchscreen and swipe your credit card, no included baggage (and very strict on allowances even if you pay), if you want movies you need to swipe your credit card and pay, etc...

My usual way of differentiating between budget carriers and full service is similar to a freemium app- if you need to pay to enjoy the services whilst you're in the air (after you've already paid your initial fare and agreed to it) then it's a discount carrier. I'm not saying the user-pays consumption model isn't good, but just that it's not full service.
    I actually don't mind their business model, I don't mind that the IFE costs money since I don't use it anyway, I only carry-on and if that means the cost savings are passed on to me without detriment to the quality of the furnishings and the level of service with the aircraft then I'm happy. I remember Air NZ had a great menu no matter what class you fly and the seats are always exemplary. To me, if the service is offered somehow then it counts as "Full Service". That being said, I still fly with Qantas whenever possible since I'm a member of their points program...

EDIT: Adding that Air NZ Business and the Koru lounge facilities are top notch. Still, I wouldn't fly this airline for any reason other than visiting NZ though and even then, there's little reason for me to choose it over Qantas Business class.
    Last edited by Havox; 20 Nov 2014 at 8:14 PM.

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~ enigma_1's Avatar
    HSC

Prelim + HSC Tutoring: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...esson-%7C.html

"My pain may be the reason for somebody's laugh but my laugh must never be the reason for somebody's pain"

~ Charlie Chaplin

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by Havox View Post
    I actually don't mind their business model, I don't mind that the IFE costs money since I don't use it anyway, I only carry-on and if that means the cost savings are passed on to me without detriment to the quality of the furnishings and the level of service with the aircraft then I'm happy. I remember Air NZ had a great menu no matter what class you fly and the seats are always exemplary. To me, if the service is offered somehow then it counts as "Full Service". That being said, I still fly with Qantas whenever possible since I'm a member of their points program...

EDIT: Adding that Air NZ Business and the Koru lounge facilities are top notch. Still, I wouldn't fly this airline for any reason other than visiting NZ though and even then, there's little reason for me to choose it over Qantas Business class.
    You are too baws for me. I fly economy usually because I'm tight and my employer doesn't provide business class travel.

I am finding that airlines which force people to stuff as much as they can into carry on to avoid check in baggage fees results in everyone bringing huge bags onto the plane, stuffing them into too few overhead lockers, causing massive slow down in boarding/disembarking the plane, and pissing everyone off as they walk around trying to find somewhere else to stuff their bag. I guess I am comparing Air NZ with Singapore Airlines at this point given I flew both recently but still it's quite contrasting.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

Cadet
    HSC

Flying around Europe? My advice; don't touch anything Lufthansa serves up.
    They put uncooked sausages on everything, even on top of spaghetti bolognaise! The salad consists of green slime originally obtained from lettuce, mingled with sausage mince.
    Don't do it too yourself.

Qantas, I found, was very good and definitely a nice change from the sausages!

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~ enigma_1's Avatar
    HSC

Omg I was on QANTAS and they gave us a choice between salad and beef noodles or something. At least offer a better vegetarian option smh.
    Prelim + HSC Tutoring: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...esson-%7C.html

"My pain may be the reason for somebody's laugh but my laugh must never be the reason for somebody's pain"

~ Charlie Chaplin

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - - obliviousninja's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Seared lamb cutlets with the rustic vegetables :3

One of the best airplane meals I've had
    Quote Originally Posted by Melancholia View Post
    From time to time I feel lost inside this melody
    It's like a fantasy, except it's called reality
    HSC Aim: 95+ ATAR (Achieved) | Course: USYD Commerce (Co-op) | Current work: Big 4 Acct. Firm

HSC

I actually love it
    Most people that i know dont enjoy it, but i look forward to eating aeroplane meals. But then again, i love food. I eat everything, so maybe im the exception
    HSC 2015
    USYD Arch

Cadet
    HSC

Flew on New Zealand back in April and disliked it aswell. The only reason I flew on them was to get on a 767.
    Price more expensive than JQ but the same level of service, but I got on my 767 and got my cockpit visit so I was happy.
    Flew on LAN on the same route and it was infinitly better. lol
    Class of 2014
    Subjects: [ mathematics 75 ][ English standard 75 ][ Economics 70 ][ Business studies 78 ][ Physics 71 ][ SOR1 85 ]
    gg

some of my photography http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....||||||||||||||
    #Avgeek

Cadet
    HSC

As for food, Asia's airlines seem to have nicer food but to order on my experiences I would say:
    CX, QF and MU, and for budget: TZ and D7 (premium flatbed) were pretty good, JQ is alright.
    I actually like airplane food, maybe because I feel at home whilst eating it. XD
    Class of 2014
    Subjects: [ mathematics 75 ][ English standard 75 ][ Economics 70 ][ Business studies 78 ][ Physics 71 ][ SOR1 85 ]
    gg

some of my photography http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos....||||||||||||||
    #Avgeek

HSC

Noodles on the plane aren't so bad tbh but everything else is crap

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

HSC

I remember having some chicken and rice dish on QANTAS. Was quite nice. And this was in economy as well. And I think it was the halal meal because its also free of the common allergens (I have an allergy), so I had that meal every time.
    2015 HSC: English Adv, Mathematics, Business Studies, Biology, Multimedia.

HSC Biology Flashcards

HSC

There is absolutely nothing that tastes good on a plane. Jesus fuck it gives me headaches just thinking about it.

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

I know this may sound rude but the proportions of food provided on flights is minimal and doesn't it keep you full. (Maybe Im a big eater)
    | B Eng (Hons) | IB Mathematics SL | IB Mathematics HL | Australian Cricket | Casual University Statistics Tutor

HSC
    N/A
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by maki View Post
    There is absolutely nothing that tastes good on a plane. Jesus fuck it gives me headaches just thinking about it.
    It's called aeroplane food for a reason. I mean, unless you're flying first class then things may be different. Not that I know! Hahaha
    B Construction Management & Property (Hons) @ UNSW (2014)

HSC
    Uni Grad

I've decided of all the budget airlines, Air Asia is my favourite for their food selection and pricing vs. Jetstar/Tiger/Virgin/etc. It has the best food quality, reasonably priced ($5-6 a meal) and has yet to disappoint me.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

HSC

no you are totally alone in disliking something that people have been ridiculing for decades to the point of becoming an observational comedy trope
    Last edited by cosmo 2; 25 Dec 2016 at 2:35 AM.

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by seremify007 View Post
    Just flew Singapore airlines last week and I remember why I love their food. The western breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausages and tomato could've been a mess but surprisingly they were good- the eggs were fluffy and tasty and didn't feel microwaved. The pork noodles which my fiancé had were pretty tasty and reminded me of hawker food stores but t was a bit saltish. Later on we had that chicken curry for lunch and whilst it didn't look so photogenic it tasted great. Spicy too!
    i had the same things and it was just ho hum to me

HSC

hey sinophile long time no see

i met you once

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information