Volunteering abroad? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
Hey everyone,

Has anyone got any insight or experiences to share re: volunteering abroad? I'm very interested in doing so, and am avoiding the 'voluntourism' companies that do more harm than good as having to pay to volunteer is usually a big red flag. I'm most interested in travelling to Latin america or any other Spanish speaking country, as I've taken to learning Spanish in my spare time for a couple hours a day and want to immerse myself in the language. I have around $6k saved up from working and I think my parents would lend me perhaps another 1k each allowance so all up I think I have around $8k of funds, but I do not plan on spending anywhere close to all of it. I hope to go for maybe 2 months.

However, one major thing that's been bugging me is this: I'm 17 years old. I have no skills (have 3 years of shitty part-time job experience lol). There's not much I can do overseas. I don't think a bleeding heart is enough, and if I were to go I would basically be doing stuff that the locals could do (read: I would basically be taking their jobs).

However, this one site seems to cater to what I'm looking for \: http://www.wwoof.com.au/world-wwoofing

So again I ask, if any past volunteers have any information, it would be greatly appreciated.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Why don't you sign up to one of these volunterring things once you get into uni? Programs would be much more structured for people of our age

emilios

HSC
Why don't you sign up to one of these volunterring things once you get into uni? Programs would be much more structured for people of our age
probably will. it's just i have 3 months of complete freedom ahead of me with minimal commitments. why not now? :)

mreditor16

HSC
probably will. it's just i have 3 months of complete freedom ahead of me with minimal commitments. why not now? :)
haha good luck with all this emilios :D

although for most people, this period ends up being like this:

emilios

HSC
LOL thanks! So true though man, I'm keeping as busy as I can but the days where I have no plans end up pretty dull

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)