overdone pip ideas (1 Viewer)

nikipickle

HSC
hey :wave: i was just wondering if anyone could submit pip ideas that they think are completely overdone.. so we all know which ones to avoid ..thanks

[trent]

HSC
From what I gather, any teen-angst issues (drugs, sex, stress, depression, etc) are generally to be avoided unless you have some sort of personal experience driving your PIP (that you wouldn't be uncomfortable talking about). They love PIPs that are both original and personal. Good luck btw (finding a PIP topic is such a pain!)

mishka

HSC
N/A
It should be pointed out, however, that you can take what is known as an "overdone" topic and put a really original spin on ideas if you're clever enough to come up with one...

One thing we were told is to always bring it back down to ethics. Most "overdone" topics are seen to be dangerous areas for conducting primary research, and that should be kept in mind also. This does not only relate to physical safety, but also the confidentiality issue as well as biased reporting and too much personal involvement in the subject.

iamko0l

HSC
what about 'media controlling society'? do you rekn thats an overdone topic?

Jessica_00

HSC
N/A
:confused: Overdone? Well I know I will get a maga spanking from some people who like the topics which I would be telling you..but here is my opinion:

Suicide
Asian girl trying to fit into western culture
Media/films and its oh-so-bad effect on everyone
the view of muslims through X's eyes
witch/goth sub culture groups
Bullying
HSC pressure
racism
divorce
death
western domination
Stereotypes and your oh so boring rants on how stereotypes are not even slightly true

and here are the topic lame topics, which almost sounds totally like a girlfriend magazine heading:
What perfume says about you
clothes designers, shoes, fashion
Cars
brand names
fashion pressure
peer pressure
study pressure
What the movie " ....X" says about ....X
how good america is
how lame australia is

I'm not saying these topic cant be presented in a way it is awsome, its just many of the ones Ive seen are too shallow and are hardly personal/original. You might want to avoid sterotyping and generalising when you write on topics like these.
I mean in past years, the topic about Men becoming more feminine actually had a High Destinction, so there...I've just had enough with surface rants about how "Blondes are not stupid" and "how the media portrays..." (not that I am making a statement about peoples IQs based on their hair colour being that it may have been dyed :D )

and I know theres just heaps more....
But yeah...maybe you may consider some of my fed up rants :bomb:

Last edited:

Zeik

HSC
Hi :)

I'm currently writing a PIP up on the topic of Gun Violence in America, what do you all think about this topic? Is it overdone?

And Whoot! 1st post for me since signing up :D

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Zeik said:
Hi :)

I'm currently writing a PIP up on the topic of Gun Violence in America, what do you all think about this topic? Is it overdone?

And Whoot! 1st post for me since signing up :D
haha long time lurker, first time poster!

I dont know if its overdone, but you could talk alot about school shootings and gang related violence and the like.

Zeik

HSC
Tulipa said:
actually media in relation to gun violence would be a very fascinating topic.

purely because the media gets it wrong so much :)
I was thinking about that after watching the documentary by Michael moore "bowling for columbine".

I was thinking about making a PIP based on Fear and how the media portrays things such as terrorism. It seems like the media constantly bombards viewers with "the terrorists are going to get you, lock your children inside and have your hand cannons ready". This constant bombardment of fear and uncertainty leads to a breakdown of trust within the community, and leads to violence (mostly gun related) between ethnic groups yada yada yada.

So, gun violence, fear, media.

Makes sense? Sound good? Be honest :p

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
Zeik said:
I was thinking about that after watching the documentary by Michael moore "bowling for columbine".

I was thinking about making a PIP based on Fear and how the media portrays things such as terrorism. It seems like the media constantly bombards viewers with "the terrorists are going to get you, lock your children inside and have your hand cannons ready". This constant bombardment of fear and uncertainty leads to a breakdown of trust within the community, and leads to violence (mostly gun related) between ethnic groups yada yada yada.

So, gun violence, fear, media.

Makes sense? Sound good? Be honest :p
good idea but maybe a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT angle that isn't really cliched is looking at how the media portrays high school shooting and high school killers. (also teenage killers, on that note i will kill the anchor of cnn if they say "bullied, goth and jocks" in a report on a high school shooting again)

it might be wise to shy away from michael moore and bowling for columbine purely because that is a tad cliche. possibly move in a different direction?

Zeik

HSC
I believe you have a valid point, it is a tad cliched. We're looking for originality, so I'll strongly consider that Tulipa.

Thanks a Bunch :D

christielee

HSC
I know its really late to be chosing a topic but im over the one i picked. I was wondering what u guys thought of this one. "has underaged drinking become a social norm in Australian society" and if its one of those topics that has been completely overdone. I need help i havent even started!

N

noir.

^^ sounds like an overdone PIP topic, but you could certainly relate it to S&C concepts. as a cross-culture you could look at Australian teens from 20 years ago and compare it to now. And you can use personal reflection. i wouldnt know where to start with secondary research - maybe look up some articles online or in newspapers and find stories that have to do with underage drinking...

I personally wouldnt look at this for my PIP... Not sure, but it just seems like you're limiting yourself, if you know what i mean.

joeyann

HSC
depression and mental disorders are really prominent and definitely overdone, but thats not to say that the people who do these topics get a bad mark for their PIP. It really depends on what angle you take on it and how you've written it.

Ness1

HSC
I'm doing private vs public schools and the perceptions etc on them... is that overdone?

i see red.

HSC
yes i think that is over done. Im doing the evolution of toys blah blahhhhh. is that overdone? im so dead.

i see red.

HSC
im researching if children today are still interested with the toys that were played with "our generation" before, so like 10 years ago. I really don't have a specific topic right now but my first topic before was "are kids today satisfy playing with the toys that were once popular with their parents" and i figured that this question was too wide. I want to focus on the topic of toys because i can incorporate pop culture it, as there are increasing numbers of celebrity dolls now and also i want to incorporate the work of theorists into my pip, how toys are vital in the development of a child blah balh.

i have been thinking of changing it but its too freaking late now. I don't see how my pip is going to come together yet. HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

N

noir.

hmm ok well what you have is a little broad, so lets narrow that down to a specific toy aimed at a certain sex. what about Bratz dolls on tweens? if you conduct your primary research effectively and use the right methodologies then you should easily get a 20+.

i see red.

HSC
hey yeah your right. One of my friends is doing a pip on bratz actually so I don't think i want to do the same topic. But i have decided to scrap out everything on the toys business and start fresh. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I am thinking of doing something about the women behind the lens of fashion photography. Like the powerful role women play as image makers in the multi-million dollar fashion industry. Thats all i got.

what do you reckon? xxxxxxxxxxxx

N

noir.

thats not really a pip.

what about something on belief systems?
or popular culture?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)