Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overdone pip ideas

HSC

Cool overdone pip ideas

hey :wave: i was just wondering if anyone could submit pip ideas that they think are completely overdone.. so we all know which ones to avoid ..thanks

HSC

Re: overdone pip ideas

From what I gather, any teen-angst issues (drugs, sex, stress, depression, etc) are generally to be avoided unless you have some sort of personal experience driving your PIP (that you wouldn't be uncomfortable talking about). They love PIPs that are both original and personal. Good luck btw (finding a PIP topic is such a pain!)
    Subjects: English (Ad), English Extension 1, Modern History, Extension History, Society and Culture

HSC
    N/A

It should be pointed out, however, that you can take what is known as an "overdone" topic and put a really original spin on ideas if you're clever enough to come up with one...

One thing we were told is to always bring it back down to ethics. Most "overdone" topics are seen to be dangerous areas for conducting primary research, and that should be kept in mind also. This does not only relate to physical safety, but also the confidentiality issue as well as biased reporting and too much personal involvement in the subject.

B Education (Primary) @ ACU, Strathfield 2005-2008

HSC

what about 'media controlling society'? do you rekn thats an overdone topic?

HSC
    N/A

Overdone? Well I know I will get a maga spanking from some people who like the topics which I would be telling you..but here is my opinion:

Suicide
    Asian girl trying to fit into western culture
    Media/films and its oh-so-bad effect on everyone
    the view of muslims through X's eyes
    witch/goth sub culture groups
    Bullying
    HSC pressure
    racism
    divorce
    death
    western domination
    Stereotypes and your oh so boring rants on how stereotypes are not even slightly true

and here are the topic lame topics, which almost sounds totally like a girlfriend magazine heading:
    What perfume says about you
    clothes designers, shoes, fashion
    Cars
    brand names
    fashion pressure
    peer pressure
    study pressure
    What the movie " ....X" says about ....X
    how good america is
    how lame australia is

I'm not saying these topic cant be presented in a way it is awsome, its just many of the ones Ive seen are too shallow and are hardly personal/original. You might want to avoid sterotyping and generalising when you write on topics like these.
    I mean in past years, the topic about Men becoming more feminine actually had a High Destinction, so there...I've just had enough with surface rants about how "Blondes are not stupid" and "how the media portrays..." (not that I am making a statement about peoples IQs based on their hair colour being that it may have been dyed )

and I know theres just heaps more....
    But yeah...maybe you may consider some of my fed up rants
    Last edited by Jessica_00; 10 May 2006 at 12:26 AM.

HSC

Hi

I'm currently writing a PIP up on the topic of Gun Violence in America, what do you all think about this topic? Is it overdone?

And Whoot! 1st post for me since signing up

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack mr_brightside's Avatar
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Zeik
    Hi

I'm currently writing a PIP up on the topic of Gun Violence in America, what do you all think about this topic? Is it overdone?

And Whoot! 1st post for me since signing up
    haha long time lurker, first time poster!

I dont know if its overdone, but you could talk alot about school shootings and gang related violence and the like.
    Dividing and gliding and sliding, and falling and brawling and sprawling, and driving and riving and striving. Dividing and gliding and sliding, and falling and brawling and sprawling, and driving and riving and striving. Dividing and gliding and sliding, and falling and brawling and sprawling, and driving and riving and striving. Dividing and gliding and sliding, and falling and brawling and sprawling, and driving and riving and striving.

HSC
    to the left, a little below the right and right in front of the left handed right man

actually media in relation to gun violence would be a very fascinating topic.

purely because the media gets it wrong so much
    nothing was beautiful and everything hurt

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Tulipa
    actually media in relation to gun violence would be a very fascinating topic.

purely because the media gets it wrong so much
    I was thinking about that after watching the documentary by Michael moore "bowling for columbine".

I was thinking about making a PIP based on Fear and how the media portrays things such as terrorism. It seems like the media constantly bombards viewers with "the terrorists are going to get you, lock your children inside and have your hand cannons ready". This constant bombardment of fear and uncertainty leads to a breakdown of trust within the community, and leads to violence (mostly gun related) between ethnic groups yada yada yada.

So, gun violence, fear, media.

Makes sense? Sound good? Be honest :P

HSC
    to the left, a little below the right and right in front of the left handed right man

Quote Originally Posted by Zeik
    I was thinking about that after watching the documentary by Michael moore "bowling for columbine".

I was thinking about making a PIP based on Fear and how the media portrays things such as terrorism. It seems like the media constantly bombards viewers with "the terrorists are going to get you, lock your children inside and have your hand cannons ready". This constant bombardment of fear and uncertainty leads to a breakdown of trust within the community, and leads to violence (mostly gun related) between ethnic groups yada yada yada.

So, gun violence, fear, media.

Makes sense? Sound good? Be honest :P
    good idea but maybe a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT angle that isn't really cliched is looking at how the media portrays high school shooting and high school killers. (also teenage killers, on that note i will kill the anchor of cnn if they say "bullied, goth and jocks" in a report on a high school shooting again)

it might be wise to shy away from michael moore and bowling for columbine purely because that is a tad cliche. possibly move in a different direction?
    nothing was beautiful and everything hurt

HSC

I believe you have a valid point, it is a tad cliched. We're looking for originality, so I'll strongly consider that Tulipa.

Thanks a Bunch

HSC

I know its really late to be chosing a topic but im over the one i picked. I was wondering what u guys thought of this one. "has underaged drinking become a social norm in Australian society" and if its one of those topics that has been completely overdone. I need help i havent even started!

noir.

^^ sounds like an overdone PIP topic, but you could certainly relate it to S&C concepts. as a cross-culture you could look at Australian teens from 20 years ago and compare it to now. And you can use personal reflection. i wouldnt know where to start with secondary research - maybe look up some articles online or in newspapers and find stories that have to do with underage drinking...

I personally wouldnt look at this for my PIP... Not sure, but it just seems like you're limiting yourself, if you know what i mean.

HSC

depression and mental disorders are really prominent and definitely overdone, but thats not to say that the people who do these topics get a bad mark for their PIP. It really depends on what angle you take on it and how you've written it.

HSC

I'm doing private vs public schools and the perceptions etc on them... is that overdone?

HSC

yes i think that is over done. Im doing the evolution of toys blah blahhhhh. is that overdone? im so dead.

HSC

im researching if children today are still interested with the toys that were played with "our generation" before, so like 10 years ago. I really don't have a specific topic right now but my first topic before was "are kids today satisfy playing with the toys that were once popular with their parents" and i figured that this question was too wide. I want to focus on the topic of toys because i can incorporate pop culture it, as there are increasing numbers of celebrity dolls now and also i want to incorporate the work of theorists into my pip, how toys are vital in the development of a child blah balh.

i have been thinking of changing it but its too freaking late now. I don't see how my pip is going to come together yet. HELP MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

noir.

hmm ok well what you have is a little broad, so lets narrow that down to a specific toy aimed at a certain sex. what about Bratz dolls on tweens? if you conduct your primary research effectively and use the right methodologies then you should easily get a 20+.

HSC

hey yeah your right. One of my friends is doing a pip on bratz actually so I don't think i want to do the same topic. But i have decided to scrap out everything on the toys business and start fresh. HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I am thinking of doing something about the women behind the lens of fashion photography. Like the powerful role women play as image makers in the multi-million dollar fashion industry. Thats all i got.

what do you reckon? xxxxxxxxxxxx

noir.

thats not really a pip.

what about something on belief systems?
    or popular culture?

HSC

okay im doing my old toy topic. thank you x

HSC

See, the thing is, there are very very overdone topics... (no offence to who has done these) but like suicide, depression, bullying etc IS overdone, like the others have said, but i am doing an overdone one, but putting a twist.

Im doing Cyberbullying. It is bullying but it is based around technology, and seeing as technology is a concept of society and culture, they may find it more interesting than the over done ones

HSC

CYBERbulling has been done actually, but i guess its not over done.

A previous cyberbullying PIP did really well, so i'm sure you can pull it off...well you will have already lol. Hope it went well.

HSC

yer everyone talks about overdone ideas
    but i have no idea what to do .... i didn't think it would be so hard to pick a topic

so i was thinking maybe

teen apathy
    or
    the emotional pull of hillsong and how it influences teens today

or something along those lines
    thoughts, ideas anyone?

noir.

the hillsong idea is good, but you need to narrow it down a little and compare it to something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information