Help! Feedback on my PIP topic and plan! (1 Viewer)

ilinh

HSC
Okay so well I've got a topic in hand and plan ready but I feel like there is more to do before I start my primary research. Is it possible I can get as much feedback for my topic and how about I'm going to get my research and stuff? So my topic is on religion; Is the Australian youth moving away from an organized religion and as a result atheism is becoming a substitute and a popular trend?

I don't know. Does the topic sound a little biased? Or is it too broad? Anyways I've got some plan in hand and mini-focus questions for central material.

Focus Questions?

• Is Atheism an Organised Religion?

• What is Atheism? Who would you define an Atheist?
    • Christian POV
    • Atheist POV

• What is the general percentage of young Atheists in the Young Community compared to general percentage of religious followers?
  • Is Atheism considered under the heading 'Religion'?
    • Legally?
    • Morally?
  • Is Atheism a popular trend?

And my possible methodologies;
-Questionnaire to find an indication of young Atheists in the the Urban Community
-Focus Group Interview with Atheists and their POV on Christianity...or religion itself
-Personal Reflections - of a Christian background (Cross Cultural comparison to Atheism)

Argh..><! Help? lol. I should really start conducting my primary research but I keep holding back because I keep feeling I'm missing something.. or alot of things!

-tal-

HSC
Is the Australian youth moving away from an organized religion and as a result atheism is becoming a substitute and a popular trend?

Tbh this topic is not new, there's heaps of research available (especially if you did SOR1). But, nh, it's... average.

And for the record, atheism is not considered a "religion".

It's missing a personal quirk.

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Okay so well I've got a topic in hand and plan ready but I feel like there is more to do before I start my primary research. Is it possible I can get as much feedback for my topic and how about I'm going to get my research and stuff? So my topic is on religion; Is the Australian youth moving away from an organized religion and as a result atheism is becoming a substitute and a popular trend?

I don't know. Does the topic sound a little biased? Or is it too broad? Anyways I've got some plan in hand and mini-focus questions for central material.

Focus Questions?

• Is Atheism an Organised Religion?

• What is Atheism? Who would you define an Atheist?
    • Christian POV
    • Atheist POV

• What is the general percentage of young Atheists in the Young Community compared to general percentage of religious followers?
  • Is Atheism considered under the heading 'Religion'?
    • Legally?
    • Morally?
  • Is Atheism a popular trend?

And my possible methodologies;
-Questionnaire to find an indication of young Atheists in the the Urban Community
-Focus Group Interview with Atheists and their POV on Christianity...or religion itself
-Personal Reflections - of a Christian background (Cross Cultural comparison to Atheism)

Argh..><! Help? lol. I should really start conducting my primary research but I keep holding back because I keep feeling I'm missing something.. or alot of things!
hm... it does sound a little bit bias to me, i get the impression your some pissed off christian who's shitty at atheists stealing your ammo, lol (jokes). But seriously, the nature of your question suggests that you have already made up your mind, it doesn't look like your trying to investigate your question, but to find research that will just support your own point of veiw.

Is the Australian youth moving away from an organized religion and as a result atheism is becoming a substitute and a popular trend?

See the second part (the athism part) suggests that you have already made up your mind about the first part, its very bias and it does suggest your research as a result will be bias. A better question would be something like:

"How does the Australian youth of today regard organized religion"

Cuz think about it, say australian youth were not moving away from organized religion? your PIP would kind of fizzle out, at the moment your question relies heavily on the fact that it will be true.

You need to bring a lot of other things into your research as well, like why things are the way they are. Look beyond. the whole christian v atheism thing. look at Buddhism (its growing fucking fast in Australia though not actually a religion), Look at the causes, has this been happening in other countries? why? why not? where do the differences/similarities lie?

Also, if your gonna do your methodologies you have to be ethical, for questionnaires especially you have to be as unbiased as you possibly can, cuz you don't know whos gonna do them do you? would a Athiest like to answer questions that are a little pro christian? or vice versa? DO NOT hold a focus group between atheists and Christians, keep in mind if you have a focus group with just atheists or christians, though you will get their opinion, it will most likely be heavily bias research. Also, you will have to mention the fact that you are of a christian background, talk about your predisposed tendencies towards the christian argument

Last edited:

ilinh

HSC

Tbh this topic is not new, there's heaps of research available (especially if you did SOR1). But, nh, it's... average.

And for the record, atheism is not considered a "religion".

It's missing a personal quirk.
Yeah, I'm actually gonna use one of my SOR text books as one of my secondary resrources and considering Atheism a religion or not is actually one of my questions, but i dont know. Apparently, there was a news story about a bus company in Tasmania refusing to accept advertising from an atheist group and the group is taking the bus company to court on the grounds that we have freedom of religion in Australia so they have no right to refuse the atheists advertising, but it's intriguing cause the question we ask is; IS Atheism a religion?

ilinh

HSC
hm... it does sound a little bit bias to me, i get the impression your some pissed off christian who's shitty at atheists stealing your ammo, lol (jokes). But seriously, the nature of your question suggests that you have already made up your mind, it doesn't look like your trying to investigate your question, but to find research that will just support your own point of veiw.

See the second part (the athism part) suggests that you have already made up your mind about the first part, its very bias and it does suggest your research as a result will be bias. A better question would be something like:

"How does the Australian youth of today regard organized religion"

Cuz think about it, say australian youth were not moving away from organized religion? your PIP would kind of fizzle out, at the moment your question relies heavily on the fact that it will be true.

You need to bring a lot of other things into your research as well, like why things are the way they are. Look beyond. the whole christian v atheism thing. look at Buddhism (its growing fucking fast in Australia though not actually a religion), Look at the causes, has this been happening in other countries? why? why not? where do the differences/similarities lie?

Also, if your gonna do your methodologies you have to be ethical, for questionnaires especially you have to be as unbiased as you possibly can, cuz you don't know whos gonna do them do you? would a Athiest like to answer questions that are a little pro christian? or vice versa? DO NOT hold a focus group between atheists and Christians, keep in mind if you have a focus group with just atheists or christians, though you will get their opinion, it will most likely be heavily bias research. Also, you will have to mention the fact that you are of a christian background, talk about your predisposed tendencies towards the christian argument
Hey thanks for this, I really like the focus question that you recommended, I think I might consider changing the question now.

About the Christian v Atheism thing, I really didn't want to intend that , it's because as a Christian believing in a deity, an Atheists doesn't regard any deity and so because of the difference I thought it was good to use Christianity as my CCC. But uh.. yeah.. ><

So in my Central Material; I also need to bring up 'why it is happening' and then compare to other countries? What if it was in the case of investigating with a focus question similar to what you mentioned?

And wait.. Buddhism isn't a religion? SINCE WHEN!?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Hey thanks for this, I really like the focus question that you recommended, I think I might consider changing the question now.

About the Christian v Atheism thing, I really didn't want to intend that , it's because as a Christian believing in a deity, an Atheists doesn't regard any deity and so because of the difference I thought it was good to use Christianity as my CCC. But uh.. yeah.. ><

So in my Central Material; I also need to bring up 'why it is happening' and then compare to other countries? What if it was in the case of investigating with a focus question similar to what you mentioned?

And wait.. Buddhism isn't a religion? SINCE WHEN!?
You don't need to talk about other countries, but it can provide good comparisons and often opens up new social questions to be explored. Well, if your looking at the views of Australian youth, to better understand the conditions that give rise to their ideas, you can look at countries whose youth have starkly different views. Look at the differences in the social/technological/cultural environment that allow these views to evolve differently from each other. In this way you can really get a good grasp of why people hold the views they do

Buddhism is non-religious a belief system, there's a difference, you'll learn about it if you do belief systems later in the year.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)