My PIP!! (1 Viewer)

eserefli

HSC
N/A
Hey Guys!! I really need opinions!
Well I originally started off with one topic which I completely didn't understand. I spoke to our Library Researcher & we modified it a little to: 'Voluntourism: What are the motivations behind this increasing market?". My topic will look at: Why people volunteer? What their expectations are before & after the trip? Has it changed the individual more than it has affected the host community?

Now my teacher is telling me I need to change my topic, still keeping it on voluntourism though!!
What do I do? Isn't the topic I have good enough??

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi Eserefli,

I like you topic. Its original, and can be tackled in many different ways. I particularly like your focus questions!

Have you perhaps considered integrating the course concepts more? For instance, include a chapter on gender - volunteering - so is feminity/masculinity at play here? Is it why we have more female than male volunteers (or vise versa, don't really know the stats)? Why is this so?

Consider religion/culture and voluntourism. Eg. do the values of a certain culture incline individuals to volunteer more? Do these values have a significant impact on that individuals? How has society responded to this? Consider high-low context societies. Consider the WHOLE spectrum. Here you can bring forth that personal and social identity you studied in year 11.

I have compiled a list of course concepts that will aid you in deciding where you want to focus your PIP on. To successfully attain a band 6, course concepts are crucial. If you would like them, PM me :)

If you aRe confident with your topic, leave it, but ask your teacher to aid you in making it more sophisticated. If you do a PIP topic you are not passionate or confident about, you will hate the entire writing process and limit your chances of a band 6. So, it is clear you are very passionate about this topic, so I reckon you should not change it, however try to examine it again so both your teacher and yourself can be happy with it.

eserefli

HSC
N/A
My teacher has tweeked my focus question: 'Volunteering or volunteerism: Is there a difference & does it really matter?'

I had trouble understanding how the new question linked to my previous one. I was wondering if you were able to be of assistance?

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
My teacher has tweeked my focus question: 'Volunteering or volunteerism: Is there a difference & does it really matter?'

I had trouble understanding how the new question linked to my previous one. I was wondering if you were able to be of assistance?
Your intial question was 'Voluntourism: What are the motivations behind this increasing market? My topic will look at: Why people volunteer? What their expectations are before & after the trip? Has it changed the individual more than it has affected the host community?"

I think your teacher has changed it quite a but, however your intial central focus is still there really.

Your teachers question of: 'Is there a difference?' correlates well with your ' Why people volunteer?' and "what are the motiviations" as you still would need to establish the core of Volunteering with an addtion of volunteerism. Moreso, highlighting the discrepancy/commonalties between them.

The question of "Is there a difference?" correlates well with your "what their expectations are before & after the trip?" and also "motivations" so not much changing here as you can discuss the "differences" in expectation and motivation between volunteerism and volunteering. Here, you could include this question in this chapter, so you wouldn't need to remove it. Add more questions here to accenuate the dif/sim as well, as your question on its own won't support your argument.

The "does it matter" works well with your "has (volunteerism or volunteering) changed the individual more than it has affected the host community?" as you can establish that 'yes it has, or not it hasnt'. From there, you can say due to the differences in change/impact, it does matter blah blah blah. Here, use your highlighted differences in say expectations and what not, to answer this question. Also, add more questions here to answer this optimally as that question on its own wont answer it effectively. Here, investigate the by-product of volunteering and voluntorism. Measure which has a greater impact on community/indviduals. Is this pos/neg? Is this as a result of social change? How so? Questions like this are important. (here you can add many more concepts. This is where you will maximise your marks).

If you're happy with the change, then go for it. If you are not, keep asking your teacher to revist it to ensure both of you are happy with the chosen topic. Dont settle for something you know you dislike.

Also, as I said, ensure you integrate course concepts wherever possible. Concepts such as self, identity, community, values work EXTREMELY well here.

Last edited:

eserefli

HSC
N/A
That makes a lot more sense! Especially with the second half of the question! What i don't get though is how she had "Volunteering or Volunteerism?" I don't exactly know what she means by this & what I need to be looking at with it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)