Chapter ideas for PIP (1 Viewer)

awalkley

HSC
I need some help on what to write in my chapters! I'm so confused
My PIP is on an investigation into the effects of Westernization on Buddhism and the continuity and change of Eastern and Western culture as a result.

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Don't dedicate an entire chapter for C + C, mould it into your chapters. Since you are time-poor, consider reading into values of Westernisation such as, democracy, capitalism and the adoption of free market economic industrialisation to further aid you into dividing your PIP. Here are some proposed chapters that'll work well:

Materialism in Buddhism (capitalism? profits? what does this mean? pos or neg effect? has it supported the following/distribution/worship of Buddhism ETC or has it dissolved buddhist values? ETC)
Hedonism in Buddhism (Big value of westernisation, really. Talk about why it is such a big value. Does this oppose buddhist values?)
Technology in Buddhism (this is defs an interesting one. Consider ones interaction with buddhism, what medium is used? Consider rural/remote areas, or areas where one is unable to practise a certain religion and how the net is able to bypass that. Bring about cultural pularism, or cultural disintergration? Proper way of worship abdonded? Exciting things!)
Globalisation in in Buddhism (Consider the history of buddhism. Perhaps buddhism found globailisation/globailsing forces as a fertile milieu to resurge, spread and thrive...ETC)
Power in Buddhism (has there been a shift in micro, or even macro power structures that replicates that of an American/European power structure?)

Basically, you should have central focus questions to aid your research. Here are a few examples : does this western value oppose/support this Buddhist value? Has it supported the Buddhist people or do the people resent it? Why?

Remember, the effects don't always have to be negative. Also, I have a great essay on Global/Tech on Wicca - the central idea is there, it will give you an indication on how to begin composing, and what to include in your chapters.

FEW TIPS: MUST implement course concepts everywhere (also have typed up an entire list of the syallbus concepts, reccommend you use them). The writing process is daunting, and seems like a mountain of work, when really your chapters are essentially a mini-essay. So, structure it as such.Just be wary of your writing, be ethical/non-discriminatory throughout. Finally, when you write something of your own research ALWAYS rebuttal/support it by an authour (if you can)- integration of secondary data is crucial!

EDIT: Forgot to add, what is your cross cultural component?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)