Harvard AIDS Expert Says POPE IS CORRECT on Condom Distribution Making AIDS Worse (1 Viewer)

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Source: Harvard AIDS Expert Says Pope is Correct on Condom Distribution Making AIDS Worse�|�Catholic Exchange

Edward C. Green, director of the AIDS Prevention Research Project at the Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies, has said that the evidence confirms that the Pope is correct in his assessment that condom distribution exacerbates the problem of AIDS.

"The pope is correct," Green told National Review Online Wednesday, "or put it a better way, the best evidence we have supports the pope’s comments."

"There is," Green added, "a consistent association shown by our best studies, including the U.S.-funded ‘Demographic Health Surveys,’ between greater availability and use of condoms and higher (not lower) HIV-infection rates. This may be due in part to a phenomenon known as risk compensation, meaning that when one uses a risk-reduction ‘technology’ such as condoms, one often loses the benefit (reduction in risk) by ‘compensating’ or taking greater chances than one would take without the risk-reduction technology."

The Harvard AIDS Project’s webpage on Green lists his book "Rethinking AIDS Prevention: Learning from Successes in Developing Countries ". It is stated that Green reveals, "The largely medical solutions funded by major donors have had little impact in Africa, the continent hardest hit by AIDS. Instead, relatively simple, low-cost behavioral change programs–stressing increased monogamy and delayed sexual activity for young people–have made the greatest headway in fighting or preventing the disease’s spread."
i'll just leave this here

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Hm, I think I'd trust the World Health Organisation, the CDC and The Lancet over "Catholic Exchange".

CDC said:
Latex condoms, when used consistently and correctly, are highly effective in preventing heterosexual sexual transmission of HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. Research on the effectiveness of latex condoms in preventing heterosexual transmission is both comprehensive and conclusive. The ability of latex condoms to prevent transmission has been scientifically established in laboratory studies as well as in epidemiologic studies of uninfected persons at very high risk of infection because they were involved in sexual relationships with HIV-infected partners.
How Effective Are Latex Condoms in Preventing HIV? | Questions and Answers | CDC HIV/AIDS

BBC said:
One of the world's most prestigious medical journals, the Lancet, has accused Pope Benedict XVI of distorting science in his remarks on condom use.

It said the Pope's recent comments that condoms exacerbated the problem of HIV/Aids were wildly inaccurate and could have devastating consequences.

The Pope had said the "cruel epidemic" should be tackled through abstinence and fidelity rather than condom use.

A BBC correspondent says the Lancet's attack was unprecedentedly virulent.

Speaking during his first visit to Africa, the Pope said HIV/Aids was "a tragedy that cannot be overcome by money alone, that cannot be overcome through the distribution of condoms, which can even increase the problem".

The Pope said "the traditional teaching of the Church has proven to be the only failsafe way to prevent the spread of HIV/Aids".

The BBC's David Willey in Rome says the Church's view is that encouraging people to use condoms only minimises the effects of behaviour that in itself damages lives.

'Devastating'

But the London-based Lancet said the Pope had "publicly distorted scientific evidence to promote Catholic doctrine on this issue".

It said the male latex condom was the single most efficient way to reduce the sexual transmission of HIV/Aids.

"Whether the Pope's error was due to ignorance or a deliberate attempt to manipulate science to support Catholic ideology is unclear," said the journal.

But it said the comment still stood and urged the Vatican to issue a retraction.

"When any influential person, be it a religious or political figure, makes a false scientific statement that could be devastating to the health of millions of people, they should retract or correct the public record," it said.

"Anything less from Pope Benedict would be an immense disservice to the public and health advocates, including many thousands of Catholics, who work tirelessly to try and prevent the spread of HIV/Aids worldwide."

Our correspondent says the article shows how far the Pope's attempts to justify the Vatican's position on condoms have misfired.
BBC NEWS | Europe | Pope 'distorting condom science'

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
And the article stated that it HAS worked in places like Thailand, where education programs have been more effective.

Comments like those from the Pope certainly don't help matters.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Na, Pope's cool

Doms have like, 99% or so success in preventing pregnancy, right? But that's assuming that it is used perfectly. Real world stat is more like 90% protection. 1/10 chance!

But i'm not up on the science. Isnt the virus significantly smaller than a sperm?

There was nothing wrong with what the Pope said. Encouraging less sex, not more, is always the better solution to preventing sexually transmitted diseases

fight your throbbing voodoo urges, Africa

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
If it's smaller than a sperm, then surely it would be easier for it to escape the sheath?

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
if sex didnt exist it would make life so much easier

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sex IS for life

this is the Catholic position

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
Na, Pope's cool

Doms have like, 99% or so success in preventing pregnancy, right? But that's assuming that it is used perfectly. Real world stat is more like 90% protection. 1/10 chance!

But i'm not up on the science. Isnt the virus significantly smaller than a sperm?

There was nothing wrong with what the Pope said. Encouraging less sex, not more, is always the better solution to preventing sexually transmitted diseases

fight your throbbing voodoo urges, Africa
lol Iron, lil nigger, statistics dont work like that they work like this

8==========D ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ :O <-- that's u btw

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
haha good one mate
Come to a meat wif me in Canberra? I want your personal information :eek:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
You should read your sources before you throw them at me from google, yeah?
It didnt even address my question, but it agreed with me!
For those playing at home, the CDC article says in full;

Latex condoms said:
The ability of latex condoms to prevent transmission has been scientifically established in laboratory studies as well as in epidemiologic studies of uninfected persons at very high risk of infection because they were involved in sexual relationships with HIV-infected partners. The most recent meta-analysis of epidemiologic studies of condom effectiveness was published by Weller and Davis in 2004. This analysis refines and updates their previous report published in 1999. The analysis demonstrates that the consistent use of latex condoms provides a high degree of protection against heterosexual transmission of HIV.[/B] It should be noted that condom use cannot provide absolute protection against HIV. The surest way to avoid transmission of HIV is to abstain from sexual intercourse or to be in a long-term mutually monogamous relationship with a partner who has been tested and you know is uninfected.
That does answer your question, Iron dear, and feel free to look up the quoted studies yourself. Nevertheless, you're right - it's very hard to get HIV/AIDS if you are celibate - but that doesn't include people who are raped, born with it or normal people who like to have sex.

:rolleyes:

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
For those playing at home, the CDC article says in full;

That does answer your question, Iron dear, and feel free to look up the quoted studies yourself. Nevertheless, you're right - it's very hard to get HIV/AIDS if you are celibate - but that doesn't include people who are raped, born with it or normal people who like to have sex.

look at ur discrimnation

look at it

u are discriminating against homosexuals.

big L type John Howard liberal homo h8er found

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Do you think that i'm arguing that using a condom is virtually the same as not using one, when it comes to infection or pregnancy?

I'm simply with the Pope, when he says that the answer is not to encourage >risk than otherwise would have been taken, because, you know, 9/10 certainty doesnt sound great to me anyway

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
pretty sure hookers would disagree with this "expert"

Last edited:

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Do you think that i'm arguing that using a condom is virtually the same as not using one, when it comes to infection or pregnancy?

I'm simply with the Pope, when he says that the answer is not to encourage >risk than otherwise would have been taken, because, you know, 9/10 certainty doesnt sound great to me anyway
Well, given that you asked "If it's smaller than a sperm, then surely it would be easier for it to escape the sheath?", yeah, pretty much.

jb_nc

Google &quot;9-11&quot; and &quot;truth&quot;
HSC
N/A
u know perfectly well what i mean. thomas jetson once said that "ignorance is bliss" but u are relishing that while h8ing homosexuals at the same time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)