Drinking age raised to 21? (1 Viewer)

youngminii

Banned
HSC
THE drinking age should be raised to 21 and the price of a standard drink at least doubled if state governments are serious about tackling the problem of alcohol-related violence, a leading criminologist says.
Professor Ross Homel, of Griffith University, yesterday criticised the NSW Government's attempt to reduce pub assaults in Sydney with measures such as a 2am lockout and a proposed pub safety rating system, describing them as ''gimmicks unsupported by scientific evidence''.
He said overseas research had shown overwhelmingly that raising the drinking age, increasing the cost of alcohol and reducing hotel opening hours were the best ways to cut violence.
''If you increase the cost of a schooner in Kings Cross from $5 to $10 there will be a difference in terms of people drinking and a direct impact on all forms of alcohol-related harm,'' said Professor Homel, who is devising a strategy to tackle pub violence.
''It's a similar story [for age]. A number of countries have bitten the bullet and raised the drinking age, particularly for high-alcohol beverages, and seen a reduction alcohol-related harm for that age group and in the tendency of younger people to become heavy drinkers.''
The drinking age in Australia was lowered to 18 from 21 during the Vietnam War on the grounds that if 18-year-olds could be conscripted, they should have the right to vote and drink as well.
Professor Homel said he supported some attempts to cut pub violence in Sydney, such as a freeze on new liquor licences. However, other measures were ''peripheral and marginal''.
''Research into lockouts found there were no long-term effects on assaults or violence at all - as a preventative strategy it is purely symbolic,'' he said.
Rather than focusing simply on assault numbers, Professor Homel examined the physical environment inside pubs and the areas around them in devising a way to reduce violence.
He found that violence and aggression increased with overcrowding, a lack of seating and poor pub layouts that restricted movement of patrons to amenities and exits.
There was also a need for basic training for bar and security staff to focus on managing problem behaviour and aggression, and random visits by police to keep hotel owners and licensees on their toes.
A spokesman for the NSW Gaming and Racing Minister, Kevin Greene, said the Government's liquor laws allowed quick and effective action to be taken against irresponsible licensees and unruly patrons, while allowing venues to be released from restrictions if behaviour improved.

Sauce: Australian drinking age lifted to 21

Dear God NO

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
I don't drink to get drunk ever, and rarely at all, but that choice is my prerogative, and I don't feel good about forcing my sensibilities on other people.
It won't make much (if any) of a difference in the number of young people drinking but it will have the effect of creating many more 'lawbreakers'.

Sprangler

HSC
I wouldn't care cause I like house parties more than going out and there's always someone to buy alcohol. Anyway nothing is actually being proposed.

It won't make much (if any) of a difference in the number of young people drinking but it will have the effect of creating many more 'lawbreakers'.
The idea is not to reduce the overall number of young people drinking but to reduce the overall number of young people drinking out, which is where most alcohol related violence actually happens.

Last edited:

Uncle

Banned
HSC
once upon a time the government decided alcohol was a real problem and decided to ban it.
but the complacent general public would submit to their cravings and then manufacture their own homemade alcohol.
some lucky people made strong enough brew it knocks them out for at about 36 hours, the less fortunate made methanol instead and they couldnt see the light of day anymore which they dont deserve to because instead of saying no to alcohol they actually said no to eyesight.

and now they decide to raise the drinking age to 21 do they?

alcoholic drinks will always prevail against the weak minds of people.

simple solution: just dont drink that fermented toxic compound. save yourself like i did and just say no to alcohol.

posey-rose

The lost member
HSC
... supposable our liver fully develops at the age of approx 22, and drinking earlier can damage our liver. with this said i know that the liver can develop itself.

i dont care really if they do raise the age or not... it's not going to stop all the "hard core" drinkers from waiting till their 21, most start at 14 anyhow.

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
it's sad howz uz cn only have fun by drinking alcohol. personally i think poeple here r too immature for alcohol n it shud jus be banded 4 good or raise it to 30.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
They need more licences, but spread out, and smaller venues. Having such a large concerntration of people at Kings Cross and on Oxford and George Sts is the problem.

Azurie

HSC
it's sad howz uz cn only have fun by drinking alcohol. personally i think poeple here r too immature for alcohol n it shud jus be banded 4 good or raise it to 30.

uz English is very good, maybe uz can't have fun without smoking the hooker(Argili).

The only thing that should be banned in the country is the disgusting hair cuts which arise from uzzzzzz

I'm happy it seems like your uneducated and would never be in a position of power so that you can enforce your backward ideas, Alcohol is not banned in Lebanon, why do you think it should be ban here ? Honestly who do you think you are to make choices for others? Speak English and maybe someone will actually pay attention to the garbage your saying, its most likely a 95% chance that your born here, yet probably have adopted an accent which doesn't even sound like what that originated from Lebanon.

I don't know the last time you went to Lebanon, but they don't have mullets and rat tails and say BRO and CUZ all the time,

Sorry for the rage, Take care.

Last edited:

HailSatan

HSC
How about instead of raising the drinking age we make weed legal? Yeah?

zazzy1234

Banned
HSC
uz English is very good, maybe uz can't have fun without smoking the hooker(Argili).

The only thing that should be banned in the country is the disgusting hair cuts which arise from uzzzzzz

I'm happy it seems like your uneducated and would never be in a position of power so that you can enforce your backward ideas, Alcohol is not banned in Lebanon, why do you think it should be ban here ? Honestly who do you think you are to make choices for others? Speak English and maybe someone will actually pay attention to the garbage your saying, its most likely a 95% chance that your born here, yet probably have adopted an accent which doesn't even sound like what that originated from Lebanon.

I don't know the last time you went to Lebanon, but they don't have mullets and rat tails and say BRO and CUZ all the time,

Sorry for the rage, Take care.
we dont go around saying we cant survive life without argili, n dont make a big deal of it if they band it, alcohlic dog. As a muslim it shud b band everywhere i never mentioned it shud only b band in australia. n it's very sad how u cn ONLY have fun with alcohol. I've been to lebanon n people dont say BRO n CUZ n have mullets wagging off, ur looking at some muts here that cnt b bothered getting an education. n wat makes u think i aint going to get anywhere u dont even know me to judge that. For all u know i cud jus b doin dis 2 annoy poeplez on BOS. who knowz

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)