Thread: Hand over Hand vs. Pull/Push steering method?

HSC
    Uni Grad

Hand over Hand vs. Pull/Push steering method?

Which one do you use?

I feel like a n00b not knowing which one is which... I just keep my hands at 9 and 3, and then turn... if I need to turn more, i lift the hand up and pull down again *shrugs*

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

HSC

Re: Hand over Hand vs. Pull/Push steering method?

Hand over hand you will cross your arms over and usually -only- pull. Push pull both hands will stay on their respective sides of the wheel.

Push pull is much safer, if you get into an accident. Reason being is that if your arm is over the wheel when the airbag explodes, there is a high chance of you whacking yourself in the head. Airbags are violent things, so it's quite possible to severely injure yourself.

At a defensive driving course I was taught something slightly different again. Both hands stay on their respective sides of the wheel, but you only ever pull. Say you want to turn right, you would move your right hand up and pull down. To exit out of the turn reach up with your left hand and pull down. Never let the wheel spin back by itself, and only ever be turning the wheel with one hand.
    Simon. 22/M
    The University of New South Wales: I'm there. Are you?

~ 5th year Advanced Mathematics (Pure) / Arts (Philosophy + Linguistics) @ UNSW ~
    ~ Diploma in Innovation Management @ UNSW ~

"In order not to believe in evolution you must either be ignorant, stupid or insane"
    Professor Richard Dawkins

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Dumsum
    Hand over hand you will cross your arms over and usually -only- pull. Push pull both hands will stay on their respective sides of the wheel.

Push pull is much safer, if you get into an accident. Reason being is that if your arm is over the wheel when the airbag explodes, there is a high chance of you whacking yourself in the head. Airbags are violent things, so it's quite possible to severely injure yourself.

At a defensive driving course I was taught something slightly different again. Both hands stay on their respective sides of the wheel, but you only ever pull. Say you want to turn right, you would move your right hand up and pull down. To exit out of the turn reach up with your left hand and pull down. Never let the wheel spin back by itself, and only ever be turning the wheel with one hand.
    YES! my dad is an instructor at those defence driving courses and he taught me the exact same way. Your right arm is called your 'leading arm', and he says i have a perfect leading arm.

im doing the stage one course next wed! YESS! cant wait. lol. for free too MUAHAHA
    Last edited by Shell; 1 Feb 2006 at 11:28 AM.

HSC

i use hand over hand, ACTUALLY a more hybrid version of both hand over hand and push pull which is super effective and never fails.
    Now you bring it up,
    I'm gonna ring it up,
    Just to hear you sing it out.

HSC
    N/A

I've become addicted to using a steering wheel spinner that came with the car. I doubt it's any good for high speed/dangerous situations....

http://www.autobarn.net/8356.html

EDIT: I'm not even sure if these things are legal....
    MBBS I University of Adelaide

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
    HSC

That method sounds less than useful when you're driving a 1970's Ford station wagon with no power steering.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gh3y
    That method sounds less than useful when you're driving a 1970's Ford station wagon with no power steering.
    lol yes, thats true. my car is an early 80's falcon, but has power steering to its easy

HSC
    Uni Grad

I'm driving a Terios (ie. have to turn a lot more to achieve the same turn) and I find myself having my hands below 3 and 9 sometimes when I turn... I know it's partially dangerous because that means I can not turn any further, but is this against the rules (ie. can I fail if I do this in the test)? Sometimes I also do that thing (mentioned above) where you lift your hand up and then pull down to do the turn if the turn is too much for me to do with the first method of just going as far as I can without having to move my hands off the wheel.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

HSC

i dont think its an instant fail in the pz test if you turn the wheel a certain way. i mean, everyone has their own style. But you may lose points if its not a very safe way.

HSC

i use both methods depending on how i am driving, an what situation i am in
    Proud member of
    F.U.C.K.S
    Quote Originally Posted by katykins
    fuck bowman is hot

HSC
    Behind the wheel Car: XB coupe - sideways

I just flick the steering wheel around. I'm pretty certain that those wheel handle spinners are illegal.

HSC

I mostly drive with 1 hand. So when I turn I start to turn with that hand and once that gets too low I use the other hand to finish the turn. Sometimes I'll push my palm onto the edge of the wheel and do the whole turn with one hand. I always let it spin back by itself.

It's not the right way of doing it but it works for me.

... I was told by my driving instructor to use hand over hand when turning slow corners and push/pull when going faster.
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember
    that the fire department generally uses water.

HSC
    Uni Grad

What did you guys do in your P's tests?

HSC

In your P's test you should use hand over hand for slow turns and push/pull for bends.
    When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember
    that the fire department generally uses water.

HSC

i use push pull steering in all situations
    my instructor told me that hand over hand is how girls drive
    Quote Originally Posted by sauce2k
    fuking dickhead...if i c u in uni i will fuking bash u up u piece of shit..motherfucker..

HSC

In the Ps test you can turn the wheel however the hell you want... they say you can use either method. As long as you always have at least one hand on the wheel and drive with two hands on the wheel where possible.
    Simon. 22/M

~ 5th year Advanced Mathematics (Pure) / Arts (Philosophy + Linguistics) @ UNSW ~

"In order not to believe in evolution you must either be ignorant, stupid or insane"

HSC

i use both, sometimes one handed...ill have to give that defensive driving technique a go.
    CLASS OF 2005
    Bachelor of Industrial Design @ UWS, 1st Year

HSC

Hand over hand is a more powerful technique so it tends to be used more in slow (eg lots of turning) corners, old cars with no power steering and by girls who are (comparitively) weak.
    Unless otherwise specified all views expressed are my own.

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack mr_brightside's Avatar
    HSC

I hate driving with people whos steering techniques are really shit. I just wanna grab the wheel of them and kick them out the door.

Push pull for me. Safest. More control. Hands are at 10 and 2 at basically ALL times.
    Dividing and gliding and sliding, and falling and brawling and sprawling, and driving and riving and striving. Dividing and gliding and sliding, and falling and brawling and sprawling, and driving and riving and striving. Dividing and gliding and sliding, and falling and brawling and sprawling, and driving and riving and striving. Dividing and gliding and sliding, and falling and brawling and sprawling, and driving and riving and striving.

HSC

Never let the wheel spin back by itself
    Why?

I usually apply little pressure on the steering wheel with both hands whilst it turns back by itself

Cadet
    HSC

i use push if i need the wheel at full lock when parking, sometimes push/pull to turn into streets etc but i feel its a bad habit because its lazy driving because its one handed, i cant really remember how i turn actually.. I just know that its nice and smooth. And when the wheel returns, i just rub my hand over it so it returns slowly and smoothly. My grip is usually at 10 and 3.
    I hate it when people drive with completely STRAIGHT arms pushing their body against the seat. Looks like theyre going at the speed of light or something. And their turnings heaps jolty coz the stiff arms doesnt give way to small vibrations.

HSC
    N/A

Never let the wheel spin back by itself
    Why?

I usually apply little pressure on the steering wheel with both hands whilst it turns back by itself
    Correct me on this... but I think that it is because if you go over a bump (or etc.) some cars have the jittery tendency to snap the wheel back instantly in either direction - in which case you lose control. Unless you were holding it, as it spun through. This could be more prone to FWD - but I'm not sure.
    MBBS I University of Adelaide

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by CieL
    Why?

Just a control thing. Admittedly I still do it sometimes, especially in areas like carparks. By always holding on firmly at least you will always retain full control over where the car is going.
    Simon. 22/M

HSC

Letting is spin back does not imply letting it run freely but allowing the car to turn in its time. eg it is not about letting go but allowing it to move in your hands. The result is smoother cornering than when you are hauling it around yourself. Obviously however the camber and castor (especially the later) needs to be set right for this to happen fluidly.
    Unless otherwise specified all views expressed are my own.

HSC
    Uni Grad

I also let the wheel return itself a bit... just let it glide smoothly... easier than turning the wheel back!

Thread Information