• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I finally drove a V8... (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
w00t I finally drove a V8...

... and it wasn't that fast as I thought it would be? It felt a bit like there was a delay- at first, the needle moves up from 0 to about 40, and then shoots up to 70, and then goes back to climbing slowly? I was under the impression driving a V8 would be "bloody fast" or something.

*shrugs*

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
BMW 740iL with 4.4L v8 with only light modifications (to ECU/mapping).

But it's an automatic with tiptronic >__> Tiptronic is also not as fun as I thought it'd be.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I tried to? There was that second of delay, and then the huge SURGE... *shrugs* Maybe because I'm used to driving the Terios, which whilst considerably slower, is so rocky and shaky that it feels fast due to it's instability?

It was also kinda hard because my shoe was too big and I couldn't seem to find the accelerator pedal (it would hit the umm... walls of the footwell?).

CieL

HSC
well.. you only did 100 in the v8..

neways.. i realised cars nowdays delay.. even my euro is like that.. i'd floor it when i see a yellow light at close range.. then a second later it goes vroOOooooOOOOM..

And yes, I hit the side of the door when i first drove an euro car too.. the pedals are closer together than the jap cars..

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha I'm glad to hear that it wasn't just me beingo unco when i kept hitting either the brake or the wall when I tried to reach the accelerator".

Pace_T

HSC
Yeah, about that second delay thing, it seems pretty noticeable in BMW's. It must be a little longer than other cars.

CieL

HSC
It seems to be noticeable in Hondas too
my bf's 03 civic and my 05 euro has the delay (both auto).. and it's really significant.. dont know about the older models tho..

All that crap about high octane giving a faster response crap.. I use 98 RON and get jack all response

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
LOL we use 95 =( No point using 98 in Malaysia since it's probably all the same bullshit anyway.

The 330Ci felt considerably faster to drive than the V8- and of course handling-wise it can take corners much better than the bloody long BMW. Back to the lag though, the 330 also has that slight stutter when launching from traffic lights- but it's a very short one compared to the 740. Not really sure why, but I heard some 'high powered luxury sedans' start in 2nd gear rather than 1st for fuel economy? Any truth to this?

Jiga

I noticed that to about Euros, I went in one for my driving lessons and I thought maybe it was just me, but obviously it wasnt. Personally after experiencing that I would never buy a car like that, it gets really annoying.... I will take my camry any day over it for handling and responsiveness.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Didn't get a chance to... was driving in surburban area. It was however fun to turn because for such a big and heavy car, it felt as if I was riding a super light bicycle or something >_> When I get my confidence up I'm gonna test the 750iL.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
Yeah, all the V8 and V12 Benzes have second gear start (all of the older ones, at least). This is possibly true for the Bimmers. The older 740s have sport mode on the auto box - that would undoubtedly feel livelier - though not available on the tip tronic. I think that main reason for the sluggishness is that the car itself is so damn heavy, and is additionally geared toward stately, comfortable driving.
To make it start in 1st, I think you switch from N, to 2, then D. Or something like that. I can't remember - could also be mainly for the older ones.

It's an unreal car on the open road (the 750iL). Deceptively quick on the inside.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha i've been in the 750iL at 200+ around tight bends before... it's amazing how when you look out the front of the car, it doesn't feel that fast until you realise everyone else who's going at 100... falling behind very fast. I don't remember seeing a sport button on the 740 but then there were quite a few buttons which i didn't wanna muck about with like the body control/suspension settings.

You seem pretty knowledgable on this stuff petar13?

transcendent

HSC
N/A
any 7 series BMW is a hell of a heavy car. remember it was designed primarily for luxury rather than sportiness which is a secondary trait. oh and the reason why Hondas lag... it's called VTEC :rolleyes:

if you have high surge in power down low, it wont have high surge in power up high, one of the things you have to realise about cars is that it's hard to have both so they usually set it up to have mid-range surges aka torque.

if i'm wrong tell me cause i don't know much about cars, these are just assumptions.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I can't remember what movie.. but it was a chick flick and it had (at the start) the main character racing a (supposedly) modified 7 series BMW with a 3 series (was it an M3?)... LOL.

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
CieL said:
well.. you only did 100 in the v8..

neways.. i realised cars nowdays delay.. even my euro is like that.. i'd floor it when i see a yellow light at close range.. then a second later it goes vroOOooooOOOOM..
its called a drop down cable.
in every auto, when u flat foot it, it kicks down to the gear below, thats why there is a second of lag, then power, because it is goin to the gear below where the rev's are higher.

but be careful not to do it to much, other wise u can fuck it, like i did in my dad's ute. now when u flat foot it, it keeps goin in that gear for a bit, then drops down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)