motorbike test (1 Viewer)

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
so like, that test that you have to do before you get your L's. How much? Any ideas?

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
It's like $60 iirc. did it AGES ago. It's quite fun, very easy. If you have half decent co-ordination it'll be no problem. Don't think that means riding a bike properly is.

Stay safe.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah I passed it ages ago with no prior manual experience. Kept stalling it. Would be much much easier now that I drive a manual all the time.

Basically you just have to not fall off and do a smooth takeoff once or twice.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
wow. that's pretty unsafe :/
They make it pretty clear that its just the basics. You're insane if you think it means you're ready to ride on the road in traffic. Quiet streets ftw.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
wow. that's pretty unsafe :/
Not really, unlike for your car L's, motorcycle riders at least get some instruction, and there's a strong road safety focus. Motorcycle riders are a lot better educated and trained than learner car drivers.

The point of it is to teach you the basic skills, not punishing and trialling you.

Waiting times for bookings will be long at this time of year.

MissSarajevo

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
so like, that test that you have to do before you get your L's. How much? Any ideas?
its not a test its a pre learner course retard. The course runs over 2days and if successfully completed they will issue you with certificate of competence. take your certificate to RTA and sit for rider knowledge test (similar to DKT). If you pass the test then they will issue you with a L licence which is doubtful :lol:

I did my training at HART in St Inves.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Riet said:
They make it pretty clear that its just the basics. You're insane if you think it means you're ready to ride on the road in traffic. Quiet streets ftw.
WHAT IF IM AN EXPERT CAR DRIVER EH? THE NEXT AYRTON SENNA!

eh?

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah it's called the Stay Upright course because that's preeety much what you learn. Basic control of the bike, taking off, moving through the gears etc.

Then you practice on really quiet roads.

Want to go back and do it again, except we don't have a learner legal bike for me to practice on right now. Booooo 650's.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
i've wanted it since a few days ago when i worked out how much easier and cheaper it would be in the long run. :)

Plus I get to wear a helmet and jacket and look awesome!
8===D~~~

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
scarybunny said:
Want to go back and do it again, except we don't have a learner legal bike for me to practice on right now. Booooo 650's.
KLR's right? They are learner legal.

most 650 singles are learner legal.

Nebuchanezzar said:
i've wanted it since a few days ago when i worked out how much easier and cheaper it would be in the long run. :)
Not really. Unless you're going to ride cheap tinny commuters your whole life. Bikes <300cc now cost significantly more than a car to register. Maintenance cost on a decent sized bike in my experience is at least equal to a car- service intervals a lot shorter, higher fees at mechanics. Tyres, chains wear out in no time, and cost double what you'd pay for car tyres. You save a bit on fuel, but you'll only really notice if you're doing high mileages, and for a gain of 3l/100km, you lose a lot in convenience and safety.

Do it for fun, not practicallity.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
I dunno, doesn't matter anyway because I can't touch the ground when I sit on them.

Edit- ah yes you're right.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Graney said:
KLR's right? They are learner legal.

most 650 singles are learner legal.

Not really. Unless you're going to ride cheap tinny commuters your whole life. Bikes <300cc now cost significantly more than a car to register. Maintenance cost on a decent sized bike in my experience is at least equal to a car- service intervals a lot shorter, higher fees at mechanics. Tyres, chains wear out in no time, and cost double what you'd pay for car tyres. You save a bit on fuel, but you'll only really notice if you're doing high mileages, and for a gain of 3l/100km, you lose a lot in convenience and safety.

Do it for fun, not practicallity.
shuttup

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
Yeah, even though he has the option of riding a bike to work my brother usually drives up, because it also takes FOREVER to put on all the gear.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
this is no problem for me. as i said, i am a senna esque driver and my skills are unparalleld

unlike senor senna, i don't plan on crashing into a wall and kicking the proverbial bin

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
You know they don't give you a jacket? Also it's gonna be fucking hot as this time of year. You're only going 30 km/h max, I'd just wear a solid long sleeve top.

Megan: You don't have to be able to flat foot a bike to ride it. I guess it is easier though.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
nah i was operating under the impression that i would be given a jacket and helmet for free for keeps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)