Hot Hatches for sub-30k (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
So I'm thinking of buying a car on a sub-30k budget and I want one which is very fun to drive (i.e. I don't want a sterile driving experience).

I haven't been keeping up to date with the industry lately so I'm wondering if you guys would have any suggestions?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Used or new?

Used: I would go for a GTI
New: Not many great hatches sub-30. mite as well buy an 86.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Not looking at a new car at all.

The Golf has had well publicised issues with the DSG transmission they use. Could that be a bad thing even though Volkswagen have recalled the affected vehicles?

Parvee

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
HSC
prius, gotta be eco-friendly :lol:

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Not looking at a new car at all.

The Golf has had well publicised issues with the DSG transmission they use. Could that be a bad thing even though Volkswagen have recalled the affected vehicles?
Should be fine, the GTI has pretty much won australia's best car in its category for the past several years, fairly reliable.
Not looking for a new car? Does it have to be a hatch? Go for a MX-5, WRX (latest model in hatch only good looking one, you can still go for sedan), an old coupe beamer?

ilikecats

Meow meow meow meow meow?
HSC
Uni Grad
I know a few people with Swifts that have begun driving like its a race to be everywhere :p
I don't think they're very petrol efficient though...

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Besides a Golf Gti (look at R32s as well, probably be cheaper on insurance) there'd be the John Cooper Works Minis or a normal Cooper S. Then there's a few Renaults, but I think most either sit just above your budget (Megane 250 sport cup) or would be too far under it/too old to get considered. You probably don't want an evo or wrx i'm guessing, but it's worth looking at a mazda 3 MPS.

Bit different to everything else but you might be able to get a Hyundai Veloster Turbo for under 30k. I'd also bet there are some cheap Opel's now (Astra sport?) - but you'd want to do a bit of research before getting one.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Besides a Golf Gti (look at R32s as well, probably be cheaper on insurance) there'd be the John Cooper Works Minis or a normal Cooper S. Then there's a few Renaults, but I think most either sit just above your budget (Megane 250 sport cup) or would be too far under it/too old to get considered. You probably don't want an evo or wrx i'm guessing, but it's worth looking at a mazda 3 MPS.

Bit different to everything else but you might be able to get a Hyundai Veloster Turbo for under 30k. I'd also bet there are some cheap Opel's now (Astra sport?) - but you'd want to do a bit of research before getting one.
All the servicing will be overtaken by holden so it's fine. They are good cars for the CURRENT prices, i would probably buy an R32 though personally.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
All the servicing will be overtaken by holden so it's fine. They are good cars for the CURRENT prices, i would probably buy an R32 though personally.
*hopefully* in several years time, I will get my scirocco. :D

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
*hopefully* in several years time, I will get my scirocco. :D
I would have definitely reccomended one of these for OzKo if they had depreciated a little more. I see a LOT of hot hatches every day as i'm working to/from work (in Alexandria) from the station and one thing I don't like them is a lot of the 1.6l turbo european hot hatches sound VERY similiar.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
OzKo what licence do you have?
Green P's but I'll have my full license in February.

Not looking to buy before February anyway.

How does that work out?

Last edited:

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Should be fine, the GTI has pretty much won australia's best car in its category for the past several years, fairly reliable.
Have you ever had one? VW has one of the worst reputations for reliability in the country.

Countering the point above the Swift Sport is a pretty good entry level "sports" car, it's efficient if you don't redline it all the time and it's not a bad track day car as long as you replace the standard brake pads and rotors. There are plenty of supercharger and turbo kits for the floating around if that's your thing.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Have you ever had one? VW has one of the worst reputations for reliability in the country.

Countering the point above the Swift Sport is a pretty good entry level "sports" car, it's efficient if you don't redline it all the time and it's not a bad track day car as long as you replace the standard brake pads and rotors. There are plenty of supercharger and turbo kits for the floating around if that's your thing.
Why would you bother? Loads of torque steer isn't fun, just buy something rwd ozko.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Polo gti, <30k new, 0-100 in 6.9

If I was buying a new hatch I would get some kind of fiat 500, base is only 14k now, used abarth available under 30k.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Why would you bother? Loads of torque steer isn't fun, just buy something rwd ozko.
There are pretty much no RWD hatchbacks these days. Majority of hot hatches are either FWD with good suspension set up (well the good hot hatches at least) or AWD with a front wheel bias a la audi quattro/4motion. You won't get as much torque steer in a car designed to have that kind of power from the factory.

Polo gti, <30k new, 0-100 in 6.9
Apparently they are pretty sterile (according to Marty off Mighty Car Mods who owned one briefly), but it may be what OzKo is looking for. To be fair Marty seems like the type of guy who wouldn't be happy with a car that works/is good out of the box though.

Last edited:

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I know a few people with Swifts that have begun driving like its a race to be everywhere :p
I don't think they're very petrol efficient though...
That car is a no-go.
Don't be fooled... actually a really, really good car... looks a bit cosmetically challenged, however, it is a car I have driven before... I must say, it's zippy, roomy, very easy to drive and a very economical car...

why not go for a mini??? you can get a cooper S for $45k (which is very reasonable for the amount of car you are getting)... a bit out of your price range, however, you can also get the mini (without the supercharger) for a lot less... (My cousin has a cooper S, drive hers around all the time... like it a million times better than my GTIR)

or if you are willing to go bigger than a hatchback... Nissan Cube or Toyota Rukus...

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)