Is getting an MX 5 a good idea for first car. (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
it's a great little car, ticks all the boxes, fun to drive, easy to handle, manual, convertible, small, nice array of mods, rwd, cheap. Go for it

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
it's a great little car, ticks all the boxes, fun to drive, easy to handle, manual, convertible, small, nice array of mods, rwd, cheap. Go for it
Astroman just stole the words right out of my mouth xD

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Not as a first car, I would go something for more economical and something which would have you pay less insurance each year, in addition take to mind safety into the car, really just get a old Honda civic and learn to drive a sedan before you go into a convertible/coupe. How do you even have money for an MX 5?

turntaker

HSC
Not as a first car, I would go something for more economical and something which would have you pay less insurance each year, in addition take to mind safety into the car, really just get a old Honda civic and learn to drive a sedan before you go into a convertible/coupe. How do you even have money for an MX 5?
you can get one for 4000-7000
I am talking about the first gen 1989-1998.
Also they are economical since its a 1.6 litre engine. I dont think the insurance is that much higher. If it was a coupe it would be a lot

Also honda civics are pretty expensive concidering their age and size.
Parts are really expensive on hondas.

Last edited:

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Also they are economical since its a 1.6 litre engine. I dont think the insurance is that much higher. If it was a coupe it would be a lot

Lol 4000-7000, gl with your 250k KMs and rust which is an apparent problem with old mx-5s
First gen ones are the ones that you see old people drive, it just doesn't fit the uni student mold (it really doesn't look that good - the first gen ones)
1997-98 onwards its a 1.8L engine.

Parts aren't much cheaper for mazada either, especially old MX-5 parts - not to mention old MX-5s have a history of clutch problems

not really, 8k gets you a nice 2005-2007 model with 100k kms
trust me Honda parts are well priced, where did you even hear that Honda parts are more expensive? Toyota and Honda are on par with each other, if anything Mazada parts are the bit more expensive ones.

turntaker

HSC
Lol 4000-7000, gl with your 250k KMs and rust which is an apparent problem with old mx-5s
First gen ones are the ones that you see old people drive, it just doesn't fit the uni student mold (it really doesn't look that good - the first gen ones)

Parts aren't much cheaper for mazada either, especially old MX-5 parts - not to mention old MX-5s have a history of clutch problems

trust me Honda parts are well priced, where did you even hear that Honda parts are more expensive? Toyota and Honda are on par with each other, if anything Mazada parts are the bit more expensive ones.
A well looked after MX5 will go for 350,000kms.

Also I have looked at the market and you can get some for a pretty low milage.

I think the car looks pretty cool actually. I don't wanna fit into the mould.

Don't really care if old people drive it. Its a cool little car.

The clutch can also be replaced by a cheap clutch kit

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Have you driven one or just heard from the internet? It might be fun to drive for that once in a while cruise around royal nasho but for daily driving i don't think so. They are a weekend type car and not really something you'd want to deal with everyday.

My mate has one and it's such a nugget that his gf's yaris is quicker. Forget trying to merge lanes or overtake in normal conditions but they're gutless and have no torque.

Not trying to be overly negative but just consider how you will feel driving it everyday. My mate made that mistake and is selling his now because it's just too uncomfortable. If you can handle the negatives and will use it how it's meant to be driven (nasho runs etc) then go for it but for a daily cruiser there are better options.

Some common faults
-leaky roof (you'll love that wet seat surprise in the morning when you drive to the train station).
-rust
-buggered electric windows
-worn out rubber seals causing leaks everywhere (e.g the boot)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC

Yeah, insurance and fuel economy isn't really an issue.

Civic parts are cheap but you need to use the genuine oil which is a bit more expensive than normal. The more expensive honda parts are found on the honda euro and newer models, not really something that would be an issue for the cars in the price range you're looking at. Civics aren't expensive, owners just put inflated prices on gumtree/carsales (i paid $1300 for a 1 owner ek with 95 000km on it).

turntaker

HSC
Have you driven one or just heard from the internet? It might be fun to drive for that once in a while cruise around royal nasho but for daily driving i don't think so. They are a weekend type car and not really something you'd want to deal with everyday.

My mate has one and it's such a nugget that his gf's yaris is quicker. Forget trying to merge lanes or overtake in normal conditions but they're gutless and have no torque.

Not trying to be overly negative but just consider how you will feel driving it everyday. My mate made that mistake and is selling his now because it's just too uncomfortable. If you can handle the negatives and will use it how it's meant to be driven (nasho runs etc) then go for it but for a daily cruiser there are better options.

Some common faults
-leaky roof (you'll love that wet seat surprise in the morning when you drive to the train station).
-rust
You could be right about driving it everyday. But I will probably never own a 2 seat roadster when I'm older because of how unpractical it is.
Now its not that big of a deal for me.

I also want something that's fun and somewhat uncommon.
So I think the mx5 fits my criteria

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

Are you serious?

I was looking at 2005-09 models a few months ago and the cheapest I could find was $18k.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC

Some common faults
-rust
It's definitely not a daily driver.

A more comfortable daily driver would be a Mazda 3 or Corolla or Impreza, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)