New Top Gear (season 23 onwards) (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I have to admit it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Yes it's a little bit forced with some of the new presenters but it's not as bad as say, Top Gear Australia when it launched. They were able to take quite a few elements of the Top Gear series and tweak it a bit such that the presenters are important but the show is about more than just them.

I actually enjoyed the 2nd episode. The relationship between Chris and Matt is a bit less childish friendly competition and more brotherly, which makes it a feel different.

Based on this so far, I'm not going to stop watching it. It provides decent entertainment. I just can't wait to see what comes out from the original trio.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
but like its not the same.Can't wait for The Grand Tour though.

p.s, I dont really like change.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
Matt Leblanc is alright, but seriously, I am really not a fan of Chris Evans...

turntaker

HSC
not the same as the trio.
Can't wait for their amazon series though.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Matt Leblanc is alright, but seriously, I am really not a fan of Chris Evans...
He's just too overenthusiastic... and the tweaks to the setting (e.g. the Mini Cooper, the dirt sections) and the way they do things... it does feel 'same same but different', but I agree, Chris is a bit annoying. We still haven't seen the full ensemble yet, and I sense the move towards a less presenter-centric model will see a very different perspective on character development in the show.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
I hate this new series.

Top Gear's old presenters were well loved by the TG fan base. For Chris Evans to come out and make jokes about why the old series got cancelled 30 seconds into taking over came across as being a real c***. Evans' shouty delivery of his lines comes across as irritating rather than enthusiastic and he seems to have real difficulty driving and saying something meaningful at the same time. The review of the Viper ACR was pretty telling of this fact. He went on about downforce for most of the segment. It makes a ton of downforce FINE, stop labouring that fact. I would like a description about how the car FEELS to drive, what the steering is like, how rowing through the shifter feels, how the brakes feel and a good lot about how the car handles. We got none of this. Just some bulls*** about downforce on a roadcar where downforce mostly doesn't matter. The videography actually seems to be better in this series than the old ones, there are some really great setpiece shots in all of the segments but they seem utterly ruined by some abysmal driving. The rapid cuts try and make up for the fact that Evans' just isn't very good at driving fast cars, they try and make boring driving seem interesting but the piece ends up feeling disjointed. The race between Sabine and Chris should have been a cakewalk. Evans is running track slicks and Sabine only has the stock supersports on the Vette and yet Evans actually has trouble outrunning her. Pretty pathetic.

Matt is fun to watch, he brings some good humour into the show and seems genuinely likeable. I liked that he actually brought some description into how the Nomad felt and what the point of the vehicle was. Clever use of the Stig in that segment.

The interview, very little in the way of actual interviewing in the SIARPC segment for 2 very different and interesting people. Jesse Eisenberg was badly underused and Gordon Ramsey seemed really ready to have a real car discussion that never eventuated.

Sabine Schmidt was very likeable but seemed awkward on camera. I felt like she was underused.

The cutaways to the audience clapping and laughing during the midsegments felt awkward and made the show feel disjointed. Yes we f***ing get it, it's a live studio audience. No one cares, focus on the presenters. The studio itself felt too brightly lit and cameramen kept walking into frame. That felt amateurish for a BBC production.

The Willys vs Landy challenge/Reliant challenge. Felt forced and very boring. The Top Gun sequence was done by Clarkson/May/Hammond using REAL aircraft in the USA Roadtrip. Meh.

Overall thoughts? It's a shitty version of what the old show was. Chris Evans is an awful car presenter (Why are they not using Chris Harris? What the f***? Really?). He is actively unlikeable in the way that he bags on the old TG crew and yet does a horrible job of imitating them. He doesn't seem to know how to drive properly either. Matt LeBlanc is likeable but he doesn't have someone good to play off. Sabine was always great but she needs more screen time. Also where the hell is Chris Harris? I very much doubt I will be watching this show from now on and I'm hoping the BBC bury the Top Gear brand and give it a dignified death.

Bring on The Grand Tour.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad

Think May is trying to prove something, May playing British Grenadier on the recorder is more satisfying than the new series of Top Gear... :lol:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I hate this new series.

Top Gear's old presenters were well loved by the TG fan base. For Chris Evans to come out and make jokes about why the old series got cancelled 30 seconds into taking over came across as being a real c***. Evans' shouty delivery of his lines comes across as irritating rather than enthusiastic and he seems to have real difficulty driving and saying something meaningful at the same time. The review of the Viper ACR was pretty telling of this fact. He went on about downforce for most of the segment. It makes a ton of downforce FINE, stop labouring that fact. I would like a description about how the car FEELS to drive, what the steering is like, how rowing through the shifter feels, how the brakes feel and a good lot about how the car handles. We got none of this. Just some bulls*** about downforce on a roadcar where downforce mostly doesn't matter. The videography actually seems to be better in this series than the old ones, there are some really great setpiece shots in all of the segments but they seem utterly ruined by some abysmal driving. The rapid cuts try and make up for the fact that Evans' just isn't very good at driving fast cars, they try and make boring driving seem interesting but the piece ends up feeling disjointed. The race between Sabine and Chris should have been a cakewalk. Evans is running track slicks and Sabine only has the stock supersports on the Vette and yet Evans actually has trouble outrunning her. Pretty pathetic.

Matt is fun to watch, he brings some good humour into the show and seems genuinely likeable. I liked that he actually brought some description into how the Nomad felt and what the point of the vehicle was. Clever use of the Stig in that segment.

The interview, very little in the way of actual interviewing in the SIARPC segment for 2 very different and interesting people. Jesse Eisenberg was badly underused and Gordon Ramsey seemed really ready to have a real car discussion that never eventuated.

Sabine Schmidt was very likeable but seemed awkward on camera. I felt like she was underused.

The cutaways to the audience clapping and laughing during the midsegments felt awkward and made the show feel disjointed. Yes we f***ing get it, it's a live studio audience. No one cares, focus on the presenters. The studio itself felt too brightly lit and cameramen kept walking into frame. That felt amateurish for a BBC production.

The Willys vs Landy challenge/Reliant challenge. Felt forced and very boring. The Top Gun sequence was done by Clarkson/May/Hammond using REAL aircraft in the USA Roadtrip. Meh.

Overall thoughts? It's a shitty version of what the old show was. Chris Evans is an awful car presenter (Why are they not using Chris Harris? What the f***? Really?). He is actively unlikeable in the way that he bags on the old TG crew and yet does a horrible job of imitating them. He doesn't seem to know how to drive properly either. Matt LeBlanc is likeable but he doesn't have someone good to play off. Sabine was always great but she needs more screen time. Also where the hell is Chris Harris? I very much doubt I will be watching this show from now on and I'm hoping the BBC bury the Top Gear brand and give it a dignified death.

Bring on The Grand Tour.
Good points.

I actually agree with your remarks, and I reflect and think I did wonder if they were actually going to have any remotely in depth car discussions in their reviews, in their interviews, etc... despite the lameness of the catering joke, on the whole, I think it's not totally bad. It wasn't bad enough to stop me watching episodes 1 and 2, and presumably 3, 4, etc... but whether it's good enough for me to buy on iTunes, well, that's still open to debate.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Current TG could be any other cookie cutter motoring show only this one has an annoying host who can't drive in an interesting way. Old TG was always pushing boundaries either in its dialogue, it's subject matter or the challenges. The edge was what made it so successful. New TG does none of these things and winds up being no better than many YouTube shows.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Somehow he managed to come off like even more of a prick.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone watched ep 3 yet?

I have to admit I enjoyed ep 2... but that's because I'm planning to order a fully optioned GLC250d for when I am back in Australia (havox - don't judge, I'm an old man now).

turntaker

HSC
Anyone watched ep 3 yet?

I have to admit I enjoyed ep 2... but that's because I'm planning to order a fully optioned GLC250d for when I am back in Australia (havox - don't judge, I'm an old man now).
An SUV.?

... Is that the AMG?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
An SUV.?

... Is that the AMG?
Yes the Mercedes SUV. And not an AMG model. Sigh, my fiance has the restrictions which means no fun cars. She wants me to buy her a Mini Cooper though so if I can get an apartment with two parking spots then I'll consider that.

turntaker

HSC
Yes the Mercedes SUV. And not an AMG model. Sigh, my fiance has the restrictions which means no fun cars. She wants me to buy her a Mini Cooper though so if I can get an apartment with two parking spots then I'll consider that.
That's lame. I would buy a GTR :) or m3.

Mini coopers are terrible though :/

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
That's lame. I would buy a GTR :) or m3.

Mini coopers are terrible though :/
If I had the money... lol. I watched a bit of episode 3, and the new R8 does look good. I can't believe I'm a sucker for digital dashes - it even made me wonder if I should spend a bit more and get the new E Class especially since all Aussie spec models sport the digital dash (even the base E200). Only thing is $90k for a *200... seems like a joke.

Havox

HSC
Uni Grad
Anyone watched ep 3 yet?

C63 AMG or bust

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)