One of the most bullshit I.T questions ever? (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

you don't have to register software to receive updates/patches. That's provided by default on MOST if not ALL software applications today.

and software upgrades, no because you usually have to buy a new version e.g. Norton 2011.

should be B, most correct.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I do agree most IT questions are utterly awful, but this one definitely is D.
Trial Versions expire, and stop 'patching'. Take for instance game software, without registering, no patches.
Patches are not updates.
The copyright law also is nearly always a huge flag saying
"Pick Me! Pick Me! The markers have MORALS, and you need them too!"
But registration is different to validating software. E.g. say I buy StarCraft II, I install it, I put my licence-key in the installation setup. This will determine whether my version is legally acceptable and will receive future patches when they come out for the game. However this does not mean I have to register with Blizzard, it's optional and will only provide additional offers/ such as the ability to trial new betas, receive new information first and possibly receive premium technical support.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
yeah I suppose D is more correct from the view of Board of Studies. By register is a term used differently by different companies.

E.g. When I installed an EA game back in 2004, at the end of installation it asked me If I wanted to register with EA for additional hints and tips and exclusive offers. And I take it this questions must of been from an old paper, because today basically if there's a bug, the software developer will release the patches to all users regardless of registering.

Update/patch are really the same thing.

"A patch is a piece of software designed to fix problems[1] with, or update a computer program or its supporting data. This includes fixing security vulnerabilities[1] and other bugs, and improving the usability or performance". [from Wikipedia]

another site:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/269352/patch-vs-hotfix-vs-maintenance-release-vs-service-pack-vs

" Patch - Publicly released update to fix a known bug/issue
Hotfix - update to fix a very specific issue, not always publicly released
Maintenance Release - Incremental update between service packs or software versions to fix multiple outstanding issues
Service Pack - Large Update that fixes many outstanding issues, normally includes all Patches, Hotfixes, Maintenance releases that predate the service pack"

Thanks anyways, are you doing your final schooling certificate in another state other than NSW?

DVDVDVDV

Premium Member
HSC
It's D, get over it

It's not saying you don't get patches if you don't register, it's saying you're guaranteed to get patches if you do register. You don't look at what's sometimes the case or if the reverse is false, you look at what always is the case and ignore the reverse.

RANK 1

HSC
its clearly A because the mouse mats are the only things there that you wouldnt really be able to get for free, the patches etc can all be downloaded off the internet.
and copyright laws? lol, cmon who the fuck honestly cares about copyright laws

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
its clearly A because the mouse mats are the only things there that you wouldnt really be able to get for free, the patches etc can all be downloaded off the internet.
and copyright laws? lol, cmon who the fuck honestly cares about copyright laws
Board of studies has a frame with © in it instead of Jesus.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
It's actually D (imo). B doesn't seem to be true for the question and if was, it isn't the most important reason for registering a product. Updates to the newer versions of the programs is more important than support and offers. And not every company product gives technical support if you buy their product, but most will keep providing patches/updates till' the product is dead.

Usually programs do offer newer program upgrades but stop after a certain period e.g. 30 days. That's why they provided both C & D. Copyright laws have not been breached signifies that the program has been bought so you're receiving legit updates.

But then again next time you should post without the correct answer, it makes a difference y'know ;)

EDIT: Is this a one of the online HSC practice questions?
Yes, and I put the ans so people know what's right.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)