NOUN CASES - Nom, Akk, Dat, Gen (1 Viewer)

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Ever wondered how to recognise Nominativ, Akkusativ, Dativ and Genetiv?

After receiving a private message from one of you, I wrote this little explanation about Nominativ, Akkusativ, Dativ and Genetiv noun cases are.

Since I couldn't attach it to a message, I have posted it here - which is helpfuol for others, anyway, so I hope it helps people.

Enjoy!

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
i think you've made the next 6months of my life 129381031 times more useful nowthat i understand the basics.
Thankyou so much..
i'm going to go and get this to sink in my head by doing some lovely german grammar exercises
thanks!!
Vielen, Vielen dank!

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
hey.. i'm not sure here
but can u just clarify...

'Some verbs are generally used with both akkusativ (blue) and dativ (red) after them: (nominative in green)
bringen - Er bringt seiner Freundin Blumen.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
geben - Wir geben der Katze Milch.<o:p></o:p>
holen - Ich hole meinem Bruder den Schlüssel.<o:p></o:p>
kaufen - Sie kauft ihrer Mutter ein Auto.<o:p></o:p>
schicken - Sonja schickt ihrer Tante ein Geschenk.<o:p></o:p>
sagen - Sie sagt ihrem Mann die Wahrheit.<o:p></o:p>
zeigen - Er zeigt dem Mädchen das Museum.'

do u mean nominativ blue?
dankee!!<o:p></o:p>

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Oje! Es tut mir aber Leid. Das ist mein Fehler. Ich fing mit anderen Farben an und dann änderte sie.

Ja, blau - nominativ
rot - dativ
grün - akkusativ.

nichhhole said:
'Some verbs are generally used with both akkusativ (green) and dativ (red) after them: (nominative in blue)
bringen - Er bringt seiner Freundin Blumen.
geben - Wir geben der Katze Milch.
holen - Ich hole meinem Bruder den Schlüssel.
kaufen - Sie kauft ihrer Mutter ein Auto.
schicken - Sonja schickt ihrer Tante ein Geschenk.
sagen - Sie sagt ihrem Mann die Wahrheit.
zeigen - Er zeigt dem Mädchen das Museum.

X

xeuyrawp

It's all a jingle -

aus bei mit nach von zu
durch für gegen ohne um

Dative / Accusative :p

Some verbs are generally used with both akkusativ (blue) and dativ (red) after them

I think the whole process is sped up if students know what a direct and indirect object is. Then you can classify verbs that are transitive, intransitive, or ambitransitive, although you don't have to use those words. It's obviously an extra hurdle to understand the terminology initially, but in the end the small investment is worth it, in my experience.

I've always wondered if it's better to teach the Dative with the pronouns first, as well. Thoughts?

Then you can at least properly say 'And you?' in response to 'Wie geht's?'! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
It's all a jingle -

aus bei mit nach von zu
durch für gegen ohne um

Ah yes, but don't leave any out.

aus ausser bei mit nach seit von zu

PwarYuex said:
Dative / Accusative :p

I think the whole process is sped up if students know what a direct and indirect object is. Then you can classify verbs that are transitive, intransitive, or ambitransitive, although you don't have to use those words. It's obviously an extra hurdle to understand the terminology initially, but in the end the small investment is worth it, in my experience.
Indeed it would be if English teachers actually did that. I learnt ALL my english grammar (all the hard stuff, not the basics of verbs, nouns, adjectives etc) from German study. In terms of transitive, intransitive and ambitransitive (big word, never heard that one!:eek:) it would be good to use the correct terminology but it can be confusing. I can't even keep in it my head which one means a verb with an object and which one doesn't. (And the verb "to grow" does not have an object - one cannot "grow a community"!)

PwarYuex said:
I've always wondered if it's better to teach the Dative with the pronouns first, as well. Thoughts?

Then you can at least properly say 'And you?' in response to 'Wie geht's?'! :p
Yes, it would be. However, again, it comes down to how much English grammar the student is familiar with? Many are still struggling with the basics and have no idea that there is even a Dative case in English (and to be fair, we don't tend to treat dative nouns any differently due to the historical nature of the development of English as exclusively a spoken language by the peasants for some time).

I think it is one of those things that students just have to know that, "you say it this way, because that's the way it's done" like German kids do when they are learning the language at age 2. Then it becomes second nature and the reason/grammar can come later (as it does for Germans).

Just my thoughts.

X

xeuyrawp

Thanks for your response, alcalder! :)

I also learnt a lot of grammar when I first did another language formally - I did Japanese Extension for the HSC and learnt the basic parts of speech... Then I did Middle Egyptian in uni and learnt all the parts of speech, various grammatical and lexical terms, and some phonetics and phonology. Then I had more interest in Egyptian and pretty much taught myself all aspects of grammar (functional and traditional especially)...

Now German grammar is really easy for me, it's just reproducing it in a timely manner!

It's a shame that they got rid of grammar and formal studies in English here... It's no surprise that people don't want to take LOTE, as they can't speak English properly!

rambam92

HSC
oh thanks heaps
i have been struggling heaps with grammar and the basics
that helped a lot
Danke Schon

X

xeuyrawp

rambam92 said:
oh thanks heaps
i have been struggling heaps with grammar and the basics
that helped a lot
Danke Schon
* schön oder schoen?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)