Listening: Some links that might be helpful (1 Viewer)

chepas

HSC
Salut tlm,

J'espère que tout va bien avec vos études. Alors,

Listening is always a horrible thing, and it's always good to get practice in in it and comprehension, so I thought I'd share some sites that I have found helpful:

www.rfi.fr - Radio France International. Has lots of stuff especially on current affairs etc, but also specialty areas that you're bound to find something interesting. Also has 'Les actualités en français facile' which is very handy. They also have questions to this programme sometimes and exercices that you can do to test comprehension.

www.surfmusic.de - Has lists and links to radio stations that have internet streams from all over the world, France, Germany, Québec and all over the Francophonie.

www.sbs.com.au/french - Link to the SBS French programme that airs 5 times a week (1107AM: Tue/Wed/Thur at 11am, Sat at 9pm, Sun at 4pm.) and has archives of certain interviews as well as the last programme 'on demand' to stream.

www.rockdetente.com/bienvenue.asp - My favourite radio station, Radio RockDétente of Québec :D Has too much crappy anglo music though sometimes, esp when I usually tune in where the graveyard shift runs full swing.

www.lemonde.fr - That French newspaper's site. It also has various soundbytes and some presentations in French of some stories.

Not a definitive list by any means, I'll add to as I find, and please post your own finds!

Just a thought. Bon travail!
Chépas :D

Last edited:

malkin86

HSC
Um, does anyone have any ideas about the usefulness (or otherwise) of putting on the french soundtrack option on a dvd?

chepas

HSC
Yeah I usually do it when I watch DVDs, so I can kid myself that I am doing something constructive :p. But yeah, there is a wealth of idiomatic expressions that can be found there sometimes, but how valid these are are a bit vague.

Subtitles are also good, especially if the French goes at 1000km/minute... At least, it give you a bit of accent to listen to and something to which one can mould one's own pronunciation.

Watching French dubbings of animations are funny, because the voices just sound soooo different to the English ones!! It's almost creepy/wrong.

malkin86

HSC
Why don't the HSC papers on the Board's site come with the listening section.. as a listening section (ie. audio format) rather than a transcript and the questions? Do they sell them in their shop somewhere? If so, they're very well hidden.

Or does everyone just borrow/beg/steal off their profs?

chepas

HSC
Re: Audio w/listening, yeah, your prof should have them, if not they could have/should have ordered them in (or even got them given to them by last years' examiners...). But yeah, putting the audio would make the PDF's sort of massive files, so I supose that's why they don't.

It will be too late for us 04ers but for the 05ers I am going to try and tape some exams onto computer (I can do it with the little recording studio-put-on-to-CD-and-hence-MP3 thing at school), and for next year I hope to get like, a few NAFT and OHS ones up (albeit slightly sur la table... Shhh!). But I come just to receive the exams in the post today (from prof) because Aust Post is the stingiest crappiest f(&^%( piece of shite this side of the sun. :mad:.

Still, spose it'll be good for the 04ers - we can come back to do these papers 6 months later to see if we still have the knack hehe :rolleyes:.

malkin86

HSC
I have a couple of mp3s.. but alas no webspace.

mizbe

HSC
http://www.laits.utexas.edu/tex/index.html

great french grammar site by the university of texas (or something?), worksheets with the grammar pages, audio dialogue and also click on --- > tools from the main page to practice verb conjucations... its awesome

and they even got a storyline - much excitement!

purplecupcake

HSC
hahah:)
its my worst too, yay for listening websites! thanks everybody who's contributed :D

jess39

HSC
The listening exercises are great, thank you SO MUCH.

I hate the listening section so much. Especially the last few questions. Seriously, I wouldn't be able to do that in English.

sweetmochi

HSC
N/A
do you recommend these links for french beginners, our listening is slow

Kittikhun

HSC
Anything is good practice. I would say that RFI en français facile is very good and the best for someone at beginner level. The language is simple yet elegant and spoken very well at a reasonable pace without any omission of syllables that you'll notice in day-to-day French (none of that 'j'sais pas' stuff). Plus, they have a transcript with it as well. It's best to read this as the audio is playing after listening to it for the first time without reading, so you'll be able to follow what's being said and reinforce what you understood without reading the transcript during the first listen. When you get better, progress to the French news on SBS Two (or is it on SBS One? I haven't watched it in a while)--this one can be a bit hard sometimes as they use vocab here and there that you will hardly encounter in your study of HSC French (you mostly learn standard French in the HSC--it's not the French that French people speak with day-to-day).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)