Rank doesn't count? (1 Viewer)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
hey, im just confused about this. my english tutor (who has been a hsc marker for several years) said that rank doesn't count as it did in 2000 and before.... That's why lotsa people went crap 2oo1 or whatever. <_<''

she said that 50% of marks is from assessment, and 50% from hsc.
but what im confused about is what people have said in the forum about 1st place getting first mark in the hsc or whatever.

someone clarify this please in not-too-technical terms? :(

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
if you come outright 1st in your school for a particular subject INTERNALLY then your assessment mark will become whatever the highest exam mark in your school was.

e.g You come 1st at your school with an internal assessment mark of 89. You get 93 in the HSC exam and it is th highest in your school. This will be your result:
Assessment mark 93
Exam mark 93
HSC Mark 93

school4me

HSC
N/A
Say if i get 94 for assesment, and i come first out of 63 people in my school, but in my hsc, i come 3rd with a hsc exam mark of 88, and my mate who was 4th in assesment comes first and gets 95, do i automatically get 95 for my hsc mark and 93 for assesment, so 94 altogether.?
Thanks

A l

HSC
N/A
shinji said:
hey, im just confused about this. my english tutor (who has been a hsc marker for several years) said that rank doesn't count as it did in 2000 and before.... That's why lotsa people went crap 2oo1 or whatever. <_<''

she said that 50% of marks is from assessment, and 50% from hsc.
but what im confused about is what people have said in the forum about 1st place getting first mark in the hsc or whatever.

someone clarify this please in not-too-technical terms? :(
I think what your tutor meant was the approach in awarding marks. Up until and including 2000 (before the new HSC was enforced) the way marks were awarded was according to rank relative to the state candidature. So for example only top say 2000 people could only get a band 6 in a particular course regardless of the differing strengths of the candidatures every year. So, there was always a fixed number of candidates awarded certain marks based on ranks. However, when the new HSC was enforced in 2001, the way the marks were awarded was different. It was based on a standards-setting approach. In other words a student needed to demonstrate particular outcomes in order to be placed in a particular band group. For example a student needed to demonstrate extensive knowledge and understanding of particular concepts in order to be placed in a band 6. This means that students are working against standards rather than each other (although the case still remains for the UAI). Therefore more students could access higher marks and the strength of the candidature was reflected in the marks awarded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)