Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Major Textiles Project

HSC

Re: Major Textiles Project

Oh, bloomers!
    Is that pleats and ruffles dress the yellow and purple one? Because I absolutely loved that!

HSC

yeah, it was.

i saw it. and my jaw dropped. IT WAS ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR
    and isnt it funny? how it wasnt overly fussy or embellished but created that kind of reaction? ahhhhh i want it.

but in response to the confusion over what merits a texstyle-class product - it doesnt have to be hugely extravagant or embellished and thats what a lot of people get confused over. espec. for the girls with more than one major work - IT REALLY DOES NOT HAVE TO TAKE 1000 HOURS TO DO. get a concept, stick to it, make sure it is WELL MADE. seriously. they only award you at the most five marks for degree of difficulty so why bother doing more than what you need to to get 5 marks? y'know?

hope this helps, rubificticious.
    Adv Eng, Ext Eng, Mathematics, Legal Studies, Drama, Textiles & Design, Catholic Studies (blah).

Kick up the jams, motherfuckers.

HSC

But then again, if you make a work that's too simplistic, you might not get the marks you hoped for!

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by liger
    Arhh I'm really bummed because I'm going to be in England when it goes on display. IF anyone sees a 1950s black and white polka dot dress- it's mine!
    Ah! I know that one. Our tour girl made us all talk about it etc. It was made so well, only thing that really bothered me was the colour of the bodice and the colour of the polka dots on the skirt didn't match. Should have been all white, or all off-white, but it was obviously in the display for a reason!
    I come to you in the night
    I am your dark subconscious
    I keep you awake, knowing
    I am the heart of darkness

HSC

does anyone know what time/date we get our projects back?
    i want/need my portfolio as an example of work to take to rmit interviews.. thats if i even get offered. gah just thinking about my design now and i hate it.

did anyone else feel that.. that they were so bloody sick of looking at their thing, and talking up everyhting about it, like the inspiration,
    or the properties and performance.. like what attributes the fibre and yarn give the fabric and how it benfits/effectss your design,

im screwed for this if its in the exam,
    gah

and my teacher totally hates me.
    she was such a b*tch and tried to write off my design, becauseshe had favourites in the class.
    yet i came first in all our exams since i first joined the school.

i hate teachers and their favrotism!
    resume social life and sanity on the 3rd november

HSC

we get them back first week of term and thats a definate . They finished marking them on the last week of the holidays and they had already started to pack them up . Whatever you do, don't lose your folio/ let the uni keep it for reference or something :P cause we are only notified as to whether or not we are selected for texstyle around the 12th of november

HSC

I'm currently doing textiles at the moment, going to do HSC next year. I needed some help because I was going to make a costume for my MTP, but now I'm getting confused on whether it should be considered as a Textile Art rather than a costume. What is the major differentiation between a Costume and a Textile Art?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Rinne
    I'm currently doing textiles at the moment, going to do HSC next year. I needed some help because I was going to make a costume for my MTP, but now I'm getting confused on whether it should be considered as a Textile Art rather than a costume. What is the major differentiation between a Costume and a Textile Art?

The major difference would be you sources of inspiration/ the justification of design I suppose and also amount of decoration. For a costume you would really be looking at a theme eg mermaids-- or possibly you would specify a particular movie or character as inspiration. For textile art, it doesn't necessarily have to be an outfit it can be a wallhanging etc... also, your idea may be more abstract, for example "water"... the focus would be more on capturing the textures/ capturing a particular mood. Not sure if this helps or if has confused you more :P... Basically there is very little difference - just ask your teacher which area your item fits into best. As a general rule costumes are more thematic and textile art peices are more abstract. You've also got a little more freedom with textile art as you do not have any practical considerations (the item is not designed to be worn-- it is designed as an art peice) whilst costume you will need to include pratical features that make it more suited to its purpose/ make it wearable -- eg, elastic fabrics for a ballet costume, removable wings etc. The major difference would come down to the folio and the documentation. Each focus area is handled slightly differently

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ~kiki
    The major difference would be you sources of inspiration/ the justification of design I suppose and also amount of decoration. For a costume you would really be looking at a theme eg mermaids-- or possibly you would specify a particular movie or character as inspiration. For textile art, it doesn't necessarily have to be an outfit it can be a wallhanging etc... also, your idea may be more abstract, for example "water"... the focus would be more on capturing the textures/ capturing a particular mood. Not sure if this helps or if has confused you more :P... Basically there is very little difference - just ask your teacher which area your item fits into best. As a general rule costumes are more thematic and textile art peices are more abstract. You've also got a little more freedom with textile art as you do not have any practical considerations (the item is not designed to be worn-- it is designed as an art peice) whilst costume you will need to include pratical features that make it more suited to its purpose/ make it wearable -- eg, elastic fabrics for a ballet costume, removable wings etc. The major difference would come down to the folio and the documentation. Each focus area is handled slightly differently
    Well said!

HSC

well... I want to make a costume (tutu styled dress) but the only problem is that it'll have abstract features to its design, with visual representation of my concept to bring out the abstract design on the project item. Would it still be considered a costume or a textile art? Or is this something you say 'it is only limited by your imagination' thing where I have to make the decision on what it is?

HSC

well... I want to make a costume (tutu styled dress) but the only problem is that it'll have abstract features to its design, with visual representation of my concept to bring out the abstract design on the project item. Would it still be considered a costume or a textile art? Or is this something you say 'it is only limited by your imagination' thing where I have to make the decision on what it is?
    I would say go with Textile Art.
    It just gives you more focus on the aesthetic features, rather than the actual dress construction if that makes sense. I'm not saying bodge you're basic construction, but a Textile Art is more heavily focused on the aesthetic, rather than lets put in an elastic waistband because it's a costume.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by rubificticious
    I would say go with Textile Art.
    It just gives you more focus on the aesthetic features, rather than the actual dress construction if that makes sense. I'm not saying bodge you're basic construction, but a Textile Art is more heavily focused on the aesthetic, rather than lets put in an elastic waistband because it's a costume.
    okay, thank you <3

HSC

okay, thank you <3
    also, you can avoid nasty things like zippers and stuff ^^.... actually-- to be honest I wouldn't do anything that even resembles apparal :P... even if its textile art :P. You're just in for loads more stress. Wallhangings are so much easier!!! and you can't screw up/ or not finish in time unless you really can't sew. With a wall hanging YOU decide when you want to stop and put the backing on cause the time is approaching to hand it in. With costume or apparal art as we shall call it :P... you can't just decide to stop if you haven't finished all the skirt panels... or if you haven't completed the bodice etc... so yeah... wall hangings all the way ... save yourself alot of trouble.

HSC

also, you can avoid nasty things like zippers and stuff ^^.... actually-- to be honest I wouldn't do anything that even resembles apparal :P... even if its textile art :P. You're just in for loads more stress. Wallhangings are so much easier!!! and you can't screw up/ or not finish in time unless you really can't sew. With a wall hanging YOU decide when you want to stop and put the backing on cause the time is approaching to hand it in. With costume or apparal art as we shall call it :P... you can't just decide to stop if you haven't finished all the skirt panels... or if you haven't completed the bodice etc... so yeah... wall hangings all the way ... save yourself alot of trouble.
    Not if you want to do a tutu! LOL.
    I definatley see what you mean though. But in a way, there's much less scope with wall hangings.

HSC

Hey well im making a Japanese Kimono, there is no need for any zips n buttons there. ah i love textiles.

HSC

im making a kimono as well actually, this makes me wonder just how many people are going to be doing something along the same lines, though mine is going to be more along the lines of textile art, with the way in which i am planning to make it...should be fun

just got the basic patterns i needed on wednesday, now i just have to alter them, oh the joy
    Last edited by mele-3-4; 7 Mar 2008 at 5:39 PM.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by mele-3-4
    im making a kimono as well actually, this makes me wonder just how many people are going to be doing something along the same lines, though mine is going to be more along the lines of textile art, with the way in which i am planning to make it...should be fun

just got the basic patterns i needed on wednesday, now i just have to alter them, oh the joy
    Oh crap, yea me too.... I wonder how many people are making a Kimono.

HSC
    palmers island. heard of it? didnt think so...

Quote Originally Posted by shimmy&shine
    What on earth do you mean by 'Haute Couture' gown? You can't be serious. Do you even know what that term means? I don't mean to sound like a bitch, but you can't just go around and say 'I designed a 'haute couture' gown. You are hardly at the level of Karl Lagerfeld. I mean, not even Alannah Hill can say that.
    wow, you can definetley tell that you dropped textiles. im in year 11 and i know what that means. and also, if you say "i dont mean to sound like a bitch" please know what you are talking about before before you go on being a bitch.

HSC

hey guys! so for my major textile project i am doing a wall hanging, and its gonna be like nature inspired.. but i was thinking that i really wanna make my portfolio A4 and complete every page on my computer.. i mean i am really good at photo editing, and i thought i could just do it all on the ocmputer using my editor ike that.. what does everyone think? can this be done?

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by boredmadeline View Post
    hey guys! so for my major textile project i am doing a wall hanging, and its gonna be like nature inspired.. but i was thinking that i really wanna make my portfolio A4 and complete every page on my computer.. i mean i am really good at photo editing, and i thought i could just do it all on the ocmputer using my editor ike that.. what does everyone think? can this be done?

Yeah It definitely could. I'd still do A3 though, more effective. You can still get it printed in A3. If your school doesn't have an A3 printer/photocopier (I'd be surprised..ask a staff room) then just go to a printing store or something. Maybe ask Officeworks?

Cool idea for the major. I'm doing like.. it's hard to explain. It's textile art, but it's wearable. You know the dolls that are one side the Wolf and you flip it and it's Little Red Riding Hood? I'm making that in wearable form showing the cause and effects of environmental detriment. So one side will be all rigid, geometric, recycled industrial materials, and then you flip it upside down and it's all natural fibres, dip dyeing, embroidered and hand made flowers etc. Still working out the mechanics and altering my patterns.
    Not sure if it will be too much. It's really more of an art concept than textiles major but it will hopefully be good. Any thoughts?
    english, ancient, modern, textiles, maths, history ext

HSC

i'm making a fabric birthday cake, with three tiers and candles and lots of flowers and sprinkles and icing

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by georgia-ellen View Post
    You know the dolls that are one side the Wolf and you flip it and it's Little Red Riding Hood? I'm making that in wearable form showing the cause and effects of environmental detriment. So one side will be all rigid, geometric, recycled industrial materials, and then you flip it upside down and it's all natural fibres, dip dyeing, embroidered and hand made flowers etc. Still working out the mechanics and altering my patterns.
    That sounds so, so amazing. I am making a dress. just a simple dress, with no meaning behind it. Well, I am using only recycled fabrics, it is a wedding dress and I have bought old wedding dresses to make into something new and different. I have spend the past few months doing non stop embroidery and I finally finished that tonight.

I am more worried about the supporting documentation. I have always gone terrible in these sort of things. Can anyone recommenced a good site or book that will go into detail of what we need to do to get good marks in it?
    Advanced English, Textiles And Design, Legal Studies, Geography, Modern History, Biology

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information