help! contemporary designer assesment (1 Viewer)

katherine3333

HSC
hey..

first assessment of the year

and i wouldnt have a clue where to start.

ANYTHING to help would be extremely appreciated.
thanks.

2a2o

HSC
katherine3333 said:
hey..

thanks.

:wave: hey, i'm doing the same assig,
hey ye i got sum info
Internal Factors that influence her are:

* Expertise - qualifications, skillf and knowledge of the designer and staff

* Facilities - for the production and manufacture of designs

* Financial - resources and support

External Factors that influence her are:

* Economic - general economy of society™

* Technological - all areas of fibre development, yarn and fabric production

* Ecological - demand by consumers for environmentally friendly products

* Social - social trends and attitudes of groups in society influence fashion trends

* Political - relationships between countries can affect exports, imports and production rates etc.

Collette Dinnigan was born in South Africa in 1966 and brought up in New Zealand. At age nineteen she graduated from the WellingtonPolytechnicCollege where she majored in fashion design. From here she moved to Sydney and began working for the Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) in the costume department. She worked on many films and television series and was praised for her attention to detail and the historical flavour she brought to costume design and fabrication. Her first label was that of Palladium which she launched when she was twenty-one years old. Palladium sold mid-market streetwear range to department stores across Australia. She was very successful but left her job when the pressure became too much. When a knee-injury left her temporarily bedridden she began to make lingerie for her friends. The exquisite range of silk fibres and French laces were so well received by her friends and family that she decided to re-launch her career in fashion design and start her own label. So in 1990 the Collette Dinnigan label was born. It became so popular that it was picked up by Barney’s New York, Neiman Marcus, Harvey Nichols, and Joyce in Hong Kong and she now has three stores in Sydney, Melbourne and London as well as in-store boutiques in department stores around Australia.

Dinnigan has a unique style which she describes as being romantic bohemian and timelessly elegant. Her garments are usually very feminine, delicate and finely tailored. They are designed to flatter the body by accentuating postive body parts. Her style is suggestive rather than revealing which achieves a sense of confidence, sensuality and individuality. Her style can vary, but her trademarks include lace, tulle, and chiffon dresses, inspired by the art deco period. Dinnigian’s influences come in the from of past designers, cultural influences and studies of fashion. Classic designers such as Yves Saint Laurent and Christian Dior, especially their attention to detail and the treatment of the fabric directly influenced her unique attitude towards fabrication. Having lived and worked in many different places, the influence of various cultures has had an impact on Dinnigan’s designs. During her time working for the ABC she studied the markings of a historical dress which continues to influence her work greatly. Dinnigan’s inspiration is always changing and developing. However, classical vintage styles, their luxury and distinctly feminine features can be noted as a constant inspiration for her designs. Her inspiration changes with each new range, from elements in nature such as water to contemporary fashion trends. For example; in the June 2007 issue of Vogue Australia there is an advertisement for her latest collection and what inspired it. Here she is quoted as saying “This poem (Equinox Girl by Mandira Mitra) captured the essence of my collection”.

Changing trends in society also influence Dinnigan. Trends such as art forms (as mentioned earlier) influence her designs while other trends in society influence her sources of inspiration. Nature, cultural and ethnic trends, and historical periods go in and out of fashion in society and this is reflected in Dinnigan’s designs. Her multicultural upbringing has undoubtedly affected her designs. Social events and developments in textiles may also serve as inspiration and as such affect her creations.

Dinnigan’s target market is women aged sixteen to sixty. More recently Dinnigan launched a children’s wear range, Collette Dinnigan Enfant, for newborns through to four year olds. Marketing strategies that have been put in place to reach these target markets include; magazine spreads – Dinnigan is frequently featured in Vogue and Vogue Bride; television spots – interviews and recently an advertisement for American Express; her website which includes opportunity to subscribe to an email newsletter; celebrity promotions at events such as the Academy Awards, movie premiers and more locally the Logie Awards; and of course runway shows.

Many factors, both internal and external, have contributed to her success as a designer. The expertise, qualifications, skill and knowledge of Dinnigan (as the designer) and her staff are a vital to her success, without them her garments could not be made to the high standards which her customers have come to expect. To the same effect the facilities available for the production and manufacture of her designs are also crucial. Financial resources and support are essential to keep Dinnigan’s designs coming. The general economy of the society for which she designs determines her success as she must design clothes to meet the needs of the customer and in particular their budgets. Developments in technology, in all areas of fibre development, yarn and fabric production contribute to her success in terms of the materials she is able to use. Also developments in technology for design can help productivity. Ecological factors such as the demand by consumers for environmentally friendly products can contribute to the success of a collection and also influence her designs. Social trends and attitudes of groups in society influence fashion trends, designs and therefore success. Politically the relationships between countries can affect exports, imports and production rates which all affect Dinnigan’s success.

Dinnigan’s influence on current trends in evident in most any fashion magazine you buy. Her lingerie inspired, sophisticated and feminine designs are sought the world over and are copied and even sourced as inspiration for other designers. Her designs are favoured among celebrities such as Elle McPherson, Nicole Kidman, Tori Spelling, HalleBerry, Naomi Watts, Angelina Joile and Charlize Theron which in turn make them sought after by the general public. Elements in her designs can be seen in many of today’s fashions and include; backless dresses; plunging necklines; halter-necks; short hemlines; flirty ruffles; tiered skirts; and black, white and nude shades of fabric.

Collette Dinnigan’s unique designs have turned her into a successful designer. In fact she is the only Australian designer to be invited to the Chambre Syndicate in Paris. She won ‘Designer of the Year’ (1996) and the Louis Vuitton Business Award (1997). By 1998, she’d won the ‘Award for Excellence’ by Fashion Group International and was given a place in the Business-woman’s Hall of Fame. For three consecutive years, the Collette Dinnigan label was recognised as one of Australia’s 50 Most Beautiful Exports. Her label has been recognised by the Powerhouse Museum as being most symbolic of Australian design and has even been honoured with an Australian stamp as part of Australia Post’s ‘Australian Legends’ campaign. Her success, creativity, originality and distinctive style will continue to influence current trends and inspire people for many years to come.

=

Tan.

HSC
hey. i did textiles in 07 & studied collette. this may help you a bit.

Collette Dinnigan:
Ecolological (Environment)- the drought has affected the resources available to designers...such as cotton.....much of collette's childrens wear is made of cotton. (cotton dresses)
her designs are influenced by the environmental concerns of many people, such as the anti-fur campaign, her designs are fur free.
Political- she is a strong believer of womens rights at work. she supports the right for mothers to work & earn an income & not just to stay at home.
Economic- her designs are very exquisite & are aimed at affluent people.
with the current state of the economy many people have "snapped shut" their wallets & collettes designs have had to be modified to adjust costs.
Social- she can boast that celebrites such as nicole kidman, halle berry & kylie minogue have worn her designs.-increasing her reputation. movies such as moulin rouge & titanic that feature intricately beaded gowns have also influenced the poularity of her designs, her success.
Technology- with the advances in technology collette is able to have her designs changed or altered very quickly & easily, CAD.
the interent has helped majoraly with her company exposure-through her website.

Facilities - her designs are renowned for their exquisite beading, done by an indian man. many of her fabrics are shipped from overseas, Europe.
Expertise- she started to make silk chiffon underwear for her friends 10 yrs ago, then she began to receive orders worldwide, barneys new york. she debuted in Australian fashion week in 2001.
Financial- collette has adopted financial planning strategies that have determined her constant success. her business plan included planning & goals were staff were encouraged to honestly evauate strengths & weaknesses, to ensure right person was employeed for right job.

her designs feature beading & are constucted from the finest delicate sheer & lace fabrics. her designs are sleek & feminine & follow the lines of the body. she was the original purveyor of underwear as outerwear.

i will give you one more bit of advice that you may find helpful...if any of you may have trouble remembering all the factors.
Ecological PEST. & FEF...whatever nonsense helps you to ensure you dont miss any is good. that one works for me but i do know of others that are also good. whatever you come up with & works for you is good.

this is just some summarised information i thought may help you. if you would like some more assistance just ask me.

ellyy22

HSC
hey!!
did anyone happen to do sass and bide??
and what is a good overseas designer to choose with factors? thanks.

sukkaj

HSC
hey..

thanks.
HI.

My teacher was going on about how it would be a good idea to do the assessment on designer Jenny Kee's.
she designed the costumes for the 2000 olympic games and has broadened her name in designing furnishing's and interiors for the house and she also slept with john lennon!....lol just thought i'd add that in.

meldc1992

HSC
hey i did the same one last year..although we did it at the end of the year as our first HSC assess...my school starts the HSC course in term 4 of year 11..anyway...some designers which may be good to look at include
- josh goot ( i did him and recieved full marks)
- sass &bide
- the designers of one teaspoon
-collette dinnigan
-alex perry.

some advice...id stick to an australian designer if possible...might come in handy for the HSC exam and also if you want to get good information answering all the questions ..see if you can come acorss a local or middle of the field designer who may be willing to talk to you over the phone or via email to answer your exact questions...thats what a few of the girls in my class did...

maybe look at designers on the fashion weekend website...theyre up and coming and most of them are more then willing o get their brand out there if that means helping a year 12 AHSC student..

give it a go..no harm in trying

peace

HSC
i did akira isogawa, an australian designer, and got full marks for that assignment.
there is more than enough information out there on him, including stuff in the textbook and on NSW HSC Online i think.

HSC
It is important you do a good job on this assignemnt, because it is a HSC question.

Collette Dinnigan is a good choice as she has alot of media attention. Try looking on websites such as the daily telegraph.
I recieved 19/20 for my assignment, only because I used appropiate soucres and researched more deeply.

However, try looking at other designers, you may even recieve a better mark.

sarsha.dawn

HSC
:wave: Hey, i'm doing the same assig,
hey ye i got sum info
internal factors that influence her are:

* expertise - qualifications, skillf and knowledge of the designer and staff

* facilities - for the production and manufacture of designs

* financial - resources and support

external factors that influence her are:

* economic - general economy of society™

* technological - all areas of fibre development, yarn and fabric production

* ecological - demand by consumers for environmentally friendly products

* social - social trends and attitudes of groups in society influence fashion trends

* political - relationships between countries can affect exports, imports and production rates etc.
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
also i found this helpful
http://www.hsc.csu.edu.au/textiles_design/design/2738/lenore.htm

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)