top in state?? (1 Viewer)

i-c-lil-ppl

Jasmine Gala
HSC
im aiming for the big one...top in state for textiles :D
iv been first for textiles since i picked it up as an elective and always been well infront of the others in my class. Recently i did my first textiles assesment (half yearly) and got 92% and the class average was a fail, the person who came second only got 85%..i has so hungry for full marks though :(!! Do i still have a chance at being first in state?? My teachers ( i have 2) have high hopes for me and i quote one said "you will get a band six and beyond!"

im really concerned getting 92% will jeopardise my goal though :(

any advice?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
i-c-lil-ppl said:
iv been first for textiles since i picked it up as an elective and always been well infront of the others in my class. Recently i did my first textiles assesment (half yearly) and got 92% and the class average was a fail, the person who came second only got 85%..i has so hungry for full marks though :(!! Do i still have a chance at being first in state?? My teachers ( i have 2) have high hopes for me and i quote one said "you will get a band six and beyond!"

any advice?
Don't worry about it. Your asssessment was probably more difficult and every school's exam is different. 92% is great. Considering that the exam's average result is a fail, that indicates that your performance was exceptional. Don't worry about it. Good luck in your studies, by the way.

EDIT: school's assessment is usually harder than HSC itself. It may vary but that's the usual 'custom'. I am aiming for the state ranks in my accelerated Mathematics course and I am only getting 94%. But I don't worry about it as I know that my school's assessment is harder than HSC. Just make sure you come first in the cohort.

Last edited:

michael1990

HSC
Smash the HSC with 100/100 and you will recieve a state ranking.

me121

Premium Member
HSC
there are probably many others out there like you at other schools. you sound pretty good, but remember there are others just as good if not better than you. so work hard, try your best, and while 1st is something you can aim for. its not the end of the world if you don't get it.

i-c-lil-ppl

Jasmine Gala
HSC
agreed! i have been so hungry for first in state...especially seeing two of the texstyle exhibitions :D

but 100/100 in the HSC...damnnnn i hope i can do it *crosses fingers*

AnandDNA

HSC
r u in marcarthur girls high school??
newaiz just keep ur 1st place rank and smash the HSC and you shud get at least a state ranking if not 1st Goodluck though :D.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
i-c-lil-ppl said:
agreed! i have been so hungry for first in state...especially seeing two of the texstyle exhibitions :D

but 100/100 in the HSC...damnnnn i hope i can do it *crosses fingers*
Relax. Looking through the last 3 years, the top mark has been 99 aligned mark. :) :) :)

Well, it is not a big difference but getting 99 would be easier than 100, right? (I don't know about this year as the cohort will be different but you can expect the top mark to be around 98-99 based on past years).

i-c-lil-ppl

Jasmine Gala
HSC
lol ye Im from Macarthur girls High school! How did you know?? thank you guys for your reassurance :D!

frostysnow

HSC
I think if you get 100 in your HSC exam, your 92% as a school mark will also be pulled up to 100, as long as you rank first in your school.
It sucks for me tho, cos i go to a smart school, and even if i get 100 in my hsc, my school mark won't go that high, cos well i'm not ranked first

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
I think if you get 100 in the external and you perform decent internally, you'd still get 100.

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
if you want to top textiles in the state, you basically need a 99% +

there will basically always be someone who'll get 99 at the end at least, so just try harder.

and when they publish the top candidates for textiles, its only top 5 due to it being classified as a small-candidature subject.

if you stay at a 92 for internal but get a 99/100 for external, i doubt you'd get a 100 overall, from memory of how the external/internal/rankings thing works.. i could be mistaken.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shoxgeneration said:
if you want to top textiles in the state, you basically need a 99% +

there will basically always be someone who'll get 99 at the end at least, so just try harder.

and when they publish the top candidates for textiles, its only top 5 due to it being classified as a small-candidature subject.

if you stay at a 92 for internal but get a 99/100 for external, i doubt you'd get a 100 overall, from memory of how the external/internal/rankings thing works.. i could be mistaken.
No. If her mark of 92 was the top school assessment mark, her mark will be adjusted to the top external mark coming from her cohort (in this case 99/100). Therefore, her mark of 92 is moderated to 99/100 with 99/100 as her external.

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
yes, that is correct. but if her external is moderated to 99/100, her internal stays the 92/100 since she tops her cohort at her school, she retains her internal mark. so overall, she doesn't get 99 or 100, she'd get (92+99)/2 = 96 (rounded up) - would she not?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shoxgeneration said:
yes, that is correct. but if her external is moderated to 99/100, her internal stays the 92/100 since she tops her cohort at her school, she retains her internal mark. so overall, she doesn't get 99 or 100, she'd get (92+99)/2 = 96 (rounded up) - would she not?
What? I don't seem to understand what you are talking about. Are you saying that she will get 92/100 as her internal because she got 92 in her school assessments? That's not true as exams at different schools are all different. One exam at this school may be much harder than the another and hence, it's going to be harder to get higher mark in that school.

Let me give you an example: I got 100 in my school assessment (that is my internal mark) because my school assessment was as easy as 1 + 1 = 2. After that I got 60 in my HSC (that is my external mark). Does that mean, I am getting 100 as my internal and 60 as my external?

This is another example: I got 10 in my school assessment (that is my internal mark) because my 2 Unit Mathematics paper at my school was harder than 10 Unit Mathematics and 40 other people in my class got 1, 2, 3... respectively. And let's say I got 100 for my HSC exam (that is my external). Does that mean I am getting 10 as my internal and 100 as my external?

HSC exam (which is an external exam) is an only exam where the whole state gets to compete each other and that's why external mark in HSC functions as a moderator & scale of how well-performing you are.

EDIT: My examples were HIGHLY exaggerated for easier comprehension of my explanation (and for comedy purpose).

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
lol i realise that. my example was highly exaggerated along those lines as i did not take into account scaling/moderation of internal marks.

With your second example, 10 v 100 - true, that doesn't mean that, that is what you'll get. But what my point is, JUST because someone gets a 100 externally, it doesn't mean that they'll top the state or even necessarily get a 100 final overall HSC mark for that subject, do you agree?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
shoxgeneration said:
lol i realise that. my example was highly exaggerated along those lines as i did not take into account scaling/moderation of internal marks.

With your second example, 10 v 100 - true, that doesn't mean that, that is what you'll get. But what my point is, JUST because someone gets a 100 externally, it doesn't mean that they'll top the state or even necessarily get a 100 final overall HSC mark for that subject, do you agree?
Yeah. I agree. Getting 100 in HSC does not necessarily mean that you are going to get 100 overall because your rank in internal may not be the top rank so your internal gets affected according to the external rank you get. However, if you are ranked first and get 100 in HSC, YOU WILL GET 100 overall.

And I need to tell you that the state-rank is determined by your HSC mark. So as long as you get 100 in HSC mark you will be ranked first in the state (unless more than one person gets ranked first, in that case internal mark is taken into account).

shoxgeneration

*pamplemousse
HSC
Yes, I agree with that entirely - that was what I was trying to point out (that getting 100 in external, doesn't necessarily mean you'll top the state and get 100).

Agreed. I think we've finally come to a mutual agreement. haha

lionking1191

HSC
i don't see what you are worrying about. all you should be concerned with is your 1st overall ranking. what mark you get in assessments is irrelevant.

HSC
i-c-lil-ppl said:

any advice?

Can you please post a photo of your major work? I would love to see it :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)