Textiles MDP due today (1 Viewer)

kateemily

HSC
how does every1 feel after handing it in? thoughts on their mark? happy or not with the end product and folio? what did u make? anyone think they'll get into Texstyle??

Jazicat

HSC
how does every1 feel after handing it in? thoughts on their mark? happy or not with the end product and folio? what did u make? anyone think they'll get into Texstyle??
I made a brown satin fishtail dress with rouching and tulle netting, with a cape over the back using heaps of innovative things.
i was really happy with that, but i had a massive metdown due to no sleep in three days and ended up with not much portfolio so yeah failed there.

i actually think i would of gotten into texstyle if i hadn't of messed up my folio.

and now... to sleep!

kateemily

HSC
i reckon everyones downfall is the portfolio. everyone starts on their garment or design and continually works on it, but never the folio. usualy the only works that get into texstyle have good folios, although last year i saw a few that only had like 2 pages of their folio attached, so im assuming their portfolio was a bit dodgy, so youve still got hope

kateemily

HSC
only your practical component needs to be innovative/creative... ur folio jst needs to have the info and be presentable

lol i had all my sketches done except for the back view of my final design. rushed it and finished in an hour, so ashamed to send in such crap

clairebear41

HSC
Soooooo happy that its all over, and sent! However, the whole process was stressfull to send it. We all had our English Trials today, which was rather hectic.

I finished my garment and folio about a month ago, so i was not stressed or worryed at all. No sleepless nights for me :)
I hope i get into Texstyle

Good luck everyone!!

kateemily

HSC
oh ur the smart and rare kind of textile students lol

yeh id love to get in, not counting on anything, but i was aiming for full marks and my teacher thinks ive put up a work and folio that has a good crack at getting that, so hopefully that means getting in to texstyle :) i jst cant wait to go an see everone elses

clairebear41

HSC
Hahaha I know I'm rare.

Yeah I put in so much effort i hope its worth it. My teacher said the same thing to me :) I wasn't keen on the folio section though, I did it to the best of my ability however i wanted to throw it at a wall most days. haha

I adore textiles, i can't wait to see what everyones looks like... It amazing how so many ideas are created, and all different from one another. What did you make?

kateemily

HSC
yehi had my folio checked by my teacher a billion times and it was completely finished on friday and spent the w.e. putting it 2gether. guh despite the fact ive done smaller versions of these folios since yr9, i still havent learnt how much time and effort it takes haha

yeh i just wanna go check them out, its so much more fun when its your own grades works. yeh! but in saying that some people have the weirdest inspirations! imagine being a marker, you'd see everything. but my teacher is a marker and she said that youd be surprised how many unfinished works are sent in. id be too ashamed to send in anything unfinished..

i made a textile art piece in the form of a little girls dress. its inspired by domestication, femininity and the sort from the late 19th C and early 20th C. the skirt is patchworked and all embroidered and has lots of old skool techniques :) i hated it by the end ( as every1 does) but it was hung in a part of my house where i had to walk past it a million times everyday. ive grown to appreciate my work. ill prob cry when we pack it and send it off, and i know when i get it back ill be shocked at jst how much work i put into it

how many hrs do u reckon u spent? sorry 4 the epic length of this 'comment'

Mone

HSC
Woo, you finished it a month before.... I only just finished the folio last night/this morning at 3 and fixed the last bit of the pract this morning at 7.

I love the music idea, but wouldn't it be funny if they want to put it on texstyle and the they can't stop the music? I doubt your drawing can be that bad, I mean my friend got freaked out by my crappy drawings so no one can be as bad as mine.

And Claire, i swear you had at least 1 sleepless night spend worrying about everything before you handed it in.
I wonder how many are getting accepted this year, hopeful more than last year so that i might have a better chance of getting in. But then right now, i just want to get a band 6 so that i can add an extra 5 points to get me into UTS. I reckon that my epic failure in creativity and delicate working probably get me a band 3 anyway. Sign.....

Nearly forgot to mention, i made a black knife pleated organza skirt with white netting that is painted with feathers, a corset like top that is laced up on the side out of black silk dupion with hand made organza bias tape, and a neck piece that is of pleated organza with wings made out of scraps, machine embriodered together with... you guessed it, organza. I feel like a pissy parent sending their child to camp, feeling happy that they are gone but sad and empty all at the same time. Personally hate the fact that the presentation in the folio doesn't count for anything, but you know that if it looks bad, you will get bad marks one way or another.

How can you not love textiles.

Last edited:

clairebear41

HSC
Hahaha. It sounds great :)
You guys both have really different inspirations to me. I also hope that more people get selected into Texstyle too. My textiles class is like 7 people so i havn't seen many other textiles major works..... oh the plus side my class is like a family..... are there many good majorworks in your class?

And nope I have not worried about the completion of my majorwork, thats the great thing about exams... I don't mean to brag, however, I was super organised when it came down to my project, many thanks to me stressful mother. I dedicated around about 4 to 6 hours every Saturday sinse Christmas, plus more in the holidays. I think i spent over 200 hours on my folio/ dress. Literally. I wished i counted.

My dress is hard to explain however i will try. It's based on mulitculralisim in Australia. There are eight different panels, representing the major ethnic groups that live here. Each panel, has a background colour that represents that culture and their traditional technique they have used. For example my Asian panel is silk painted by hand. At the bottom of the dress all of the techniques are heavy which soon fade upwards representing the 'comming together' of cultures. I hope that made some sort of sense. All in all i have about every possible technique invented, and i didn't realise how long it would take me!!haha

sorry about the essay :S

Mone

HSC
Hey, your dress sounds like belonging!!! and very annoying to do. By the sound of it, i can see it at Texstyle at the end of the year. Can you upload a photo or a sketch of the design?
My school has two classes so i have seen approximately 20+ designs, and they are all so good that i was depressed fo the whole afternoon. One of the girls made a black dress with approx 50+ 3D butterflies all around the skirt, my teacher was in love with it.
I have no idea how long it took me either, but i know that it took me 4 hrs to pleat one layer of the organza and i have 2 layers, 0.5 hr to paint the feathers per layer with 4 layers. I probably spent most of the chrismas holiday reducing /adjusting a size 14 pattern to a size 8 and making up the pattern for the skirt. In a way i am glad that i will finally have time for my other subjects since the MTP ate it all up everytime i attempt to do anything else.

clairebear41

HSC
wow two textlie classes!... Yeah i think I would be so much more intimidated if there were so many other good projects. In my class all of us did something so different to one another, they are all really good but if in different ways.
Your dress sounds amazing :) so much organza, and so hard to sew.... in pleates, far out.

After my trials I will upload some pictures :)

I think everyone should post pictures up

kateemily

HSC
yeh saying that i did 250hrs + on jst my actual dress is an understatement. combined with my folio im easily looking at 350+ hrs. most of those hours dont even count class time, and we all know theres alot of that

Mone

HSC
Yea, the folio was pretty hectic. I absolutely hate drawing to scale, i think it took me 2 hrs to draw the productional drawing and another 2 for pattern pieces. Plus since I can't work as well at school as at home, I basically doubles the time at home. The pissy look that my mum gives everytime i tell her that i need to do textile or go to spotlight is gold, and the talk about "you need to give more time for english". I will so miss being a yr 12, without the exams.

lanss

HSC
i made a baby furnishings set which included a motif of a duck repeated in blanket stitching techniques, and reverse applique

i made
a baby bumper (something that goes around a cot to protect baby from hitting cot) including reverse applique and blanket stitched edges and double ruffle edges
a nappy stacker (to hold nappies or other items) including reverse applique and blanket stitched edges and double ruffle edges
a mobile, out of yellow polar fleece blanket stitched edges, stuffed with fiberfill
and an organiser consisitng of 5 pockets including reverse applique and blanket stitched edges

hope this makes sense

folio went great....
---but i only did 3 vdd and no production drawings, but did do pattern pieces, forgot to put in hanging dimensions (nappy stacker) and finished sizes

oh well.
gone now!!!

Alfred.Einstein

HSC
omgosh! textiles is unbelievably stressful!
our class had our hand in on monday, and we were all so relieved after we boxed it all up.

i think we have the most amazing textiles class that has ever graced our school, and no joke i think every one of our 16 works has the potential for TEXSTYLE!

we are hoping to get a record of 4 into the exhibition this year, if not hopefully 3 (we had 2 last year)

i pray that mine will be selected, because i dont think ive ever put this much work or effort into anything in my life, theres been so much heartache & pain :(

ah well time will only tell! i did a textile art piece, & also think ive incorporated every technique possible, with varying success haha. & my folder work was pretty respectable...lol

good luck to you all! hope your submitted projects are beautiful! im sure they are :)!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)